Discussing XCOM: Enemy Within Being a Separate App

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Lickzy, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I am extremely disappointed to find that XCom: Enemy Unknown is currently no longer available in the Canadian Appstore. I was hoping to bundle the 2 together and purchase both... apparently that's no longer an option?

Anyone else notice this? I know it is still available in the US and other countries.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    It's not on the Lebanese store anymore either. Honestly, there's no reason to own both.

3. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Does enemy within contain all the content from enemy unknown?

4. Mythbuster

Mythbuster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Journalist
    In the middle of nowhere
    Well, if you want to play it without the new features then you still need the original.

5. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    i apologize. as i now read the game description, i see that it DOES include the "core gameplay of Enemy Unknown plus more exciting content"

I should have read up sooner as opposed to jumping to conclusions. Thanks for the head's up

6. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Enemy Unknown was also pulled from the German App Store. It would have been nice of them to tell us, esp as it means no more updates. I'd rather they kept it there but set the price stupidly high.

7. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    There's one reason, at least for me: I own a 4S and an iPad 3. While EU works in a 4S minimum specs, EW needs an iPhone 5 or iPad 3 minimum specs. If I ever decide to play on my 4S, only EU runs on it...

8. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Unless possibly for map variety. See reasoning below :)

"Core" does not necessarily mean all content from EU, though. The mechanics are intact, but the number of maps might have been cut down.

I doubt they have touched the character customization (other than coloured armor, or is this confirmed to be in?), research possibilities, enemy types, weapons, equipment, etc.

I have heard reports that soldiers don't speak in their original languages (one of the nice new flavour features of EW). Is this confirmed?

But the real issue might be the number of maps.

For reference, the original had 80 maps, and these were reduced greatly in number for the iOS version. The only report I've seen counts the total to 30 maps on iOS.

Enemy Within features 47 new maps.

So the question becomes: which maps are we actually getting?

The 30 (or whatever) from EU on iOS, plus the new 47 from EW?

Less of the approximately 30 maps from he iOS version of EU, plus the new 47 from EW?

Less of both, neither all the 30 maps from iOS EU, and less than the 47 maps from the desktop version of EW?

Or might 2K even have added a few of the EU maps that were lost in the transition from desktop to iOS, plus all or some of the new EW maps?

Simply put, is EW a complete replacement of EU in every single way? (I'd gladly take all the new enhancements over a few maps any day, but as long as the PC version exists, I'm curious to know how close to the full experience the iOS version is.)

And then there is always some dispute as to what truly constitutes the full experience... ;)

Enemy Unknown played beautifully on my iPhone 5S, and even more so on my iPhone 6 :)

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #9 JCho133, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    I already know that it contains all the EU content. It wouldn't be possible to not have it.

I want to be able to play in vanilla mode.

10. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Not necessarily all the maps. See my post on previous page.

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Fair enough, but we already had to deal with that in EU. I can cope again, haha

12. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    #12 TheMerc, Nov 13, 2014
    I find the decision to completely remove Enemy Unknown from the App Store a bit... questionable. I understand the reasoning behind making Enemy Within its own app, and if Enemy Within does, in fact, contain the whole EU plus additional content, then it's certainly a great deal for people who hadn't bought EU; however, as a person who bought EU at launch, it doesn't feel that nice to be told that if I'd like further support (as in bug-solving/optimization upgrades; I'm not even talking about additional content) for the game I paid a significant amount for, then I'm going to have to pay as much as I did the first time for an app that'll give me the game I already paid for with some additional content - which, to be fair, I don't know how sizeable it is - which I might not even be interested in in the first place!

It's still early, so for all I know, this was a glitch and EU will pop back up on the App Store soon. However, if that's not the case, then this'll be an instance where I'll be rather disappointed with 2K...

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yep, for all the new stuff in EW, I really don't mind :) (Though I am curious to know just how close to the full PC experience EW for iOS is.)

14. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Pretty certain that it was removed, due to the fact that it would be a redundant app.

It's released as a separate app due to a) size constraints, and b)the console versions were separate games too

In regards to maps: if any of the EU maps are removed, their spot will be filled by EW maps. Almost undoubtedly.

15. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    #15 TheMerc, Nov 13, 2014
    I wouldn't call EU a "redundant" app; out of the two, it's definitely the less complete version of the game (but it's still one with an active customer base), but that's no reason to all of a sudden scrap it entirely in favor of the new clientelle. They could make it cheaper than EW, but still keep it around...

Like I said, I get the logic behind making EW its own separate app (and I certainly don't begrudge new customers buying EW and paying the exact same amount I paid for EU two years ago and getting more content than I did back then), but what I can't understand is why customers who paid a significant amount for EU are dropped without a second thought like this and told to double dip if they'd like to have further support.

And I'm not even talking about me: my experience with XCOM EU has been relatively bug and crash-free on my iPod 5G. However, I've read several reports from people with other devices complaining about constant crashes, and since EU got no upgrade before being removed from the Store addressing those issues, I'm guessing those complaints will go unanswered.

My thing is, before today, I never had any regrets about paying full price for EU. It's a very fair value for a great game. However, this move today doesn't seem very fair to me, and though I've never been daunted by the prospect of paying more than $5, or rather 5€, for an iOS game (and I've got KOTOR, MHFU, XCOM EU and Banner Saga on my device to prove it), I don't appreciate being asked to buy a game I already have for a second time if I'd like support for it. I don't think that's too unreasonable, is it?

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There are two ways to remove apps from the App Store (and if anyone should happen to know how Apple actually refers to them, do tell!). One leaves the app downloadable for previous buyers, and one pulls it even from purchase histories (what Transgaming did with Puzzle Quest 1, for instance).

I can still find EU in my history of past purchases, so at least those who wish to stick with EU will not have to keep it on their devices at all times. But yeah, it does mean no more updates, probably a steadily failing player base, etc. (It would have been nice of 2K to allow EU users to multiplay with EW players, but limit maps and customization to EU options.)

17. Peter321

Peter321 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Male
    EU seems to be gone from my Purchase History - So I can't redownload if I want :(

Will probably buy EW but waiting for a bit more info. For example will I need to start from scratch again doing the EU story first or??

Still confused about what this includes.

18. seantyas

seantyas Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Just bought it. Reluctantly, despite the fact that I bought their EU on day one as well.

2K, I do have to say it's shady that there is no in-app or App Store update to DLC into EW.

I guess they're laughing all the way to the bank though.

19. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    This is kind of a disappointing move. I appreciate paying for new content, but it's a bummer when you have to pay again for something you've already purchased. I hope this is not the case. And at least it'll still show in your Previously Purchased apps. You'll just have to pay the same as a new customer as well.

20. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    It should still be there. Otherwise I'd tell you to ask Apple for a refund.