Disc Golf To Go - casual disc golf arcade/puzzler [WIP/Devlog]

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by DiscGolf2Go, Dec 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DiscGolf2Go

DiscGolf2Go Well-Known Member

#1 DiscGolf2Go, Dec 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
    ===== 8/1/17 UPDATE =====

Disc Golf To Go is out now!

===== 7/24/17 UPDATE =====
    Ka-ching! Disc Golf To Go is going to be available on August 1st! Get ready to hit those chains

===== 7/17/17 UPDATE =====
    Wow! Disc Golf To Go was mentioned on the latest Touch Arcade Podcast! Now, I can scratch that off the bucket list. :) Just one bit to anyone that listened, Disc Golf To Go is single player only, and you'll be able to play all 40 levels offline.

(A multiplayer disc golf game in the vein of Golf with Friends is a fantastic idea though. I'd play that in a second. lol. Unfortunately I don't know anything about network/mupltiplayer code. :p)

===== 7/12/17 UPDATE =====
    Disc Golf To Go is nearly done! I am going to submit it to the App Store for review in the next few days, and I'm planning to release it in August. :D

New 30 sec App Store preview:

===== original post ======

DISC GOLF TO GO from TI Studios:
    Hi everyone, my name is Kelsey and I am a full time high school teacher and part-time solo indie game dev. I’m currently working on a new mobile disc golf game called Disc Golf To Go. This will be my first full game, and I'm pretty excited with how it's shapping up.

There's still a lot of work to do, but the basics are all there. I’m planning to have Disc Golf To Go be a fully featured disc golf game;
    • - single player, made for offline play
    • - multiple courses and levels
    • - choosing the right disc for each shot
    • - and tons of other fun features.

I hope to have this done by spring/summer 2017. Follow this thread or my twitter to watch the development progress. https://twitter.com/TIStudiosKels

Here's a quick video showing the game in action so far.

And some images:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. vectorarchitekt

vectorarchitekt Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Cool man, I'll follow on Twitter. Looks good #

3. DiscGolf2Go

Hey everyone, I've been finishing up some new features and finally have some neat stuff to show off. Woohoo! If you are scrolling for gifs, I've got some new ones below, but I also wanted to share some of my design thoughts.

One of the things I love the most about disc golf is how each disc is engineered to fly a certain way. If you aren’t familiar, in real Disc Golf you don’t play with just a normal Frisbee that flies straight. Disc golf discs are made of a harder plastic, vary in weight, and are manufactured to fly in specific ways.

[​IMG]

As a kid this made each disc seem extra special, like they were made from magical, alien technology. I remember when my dad bought a handful of new discs for us to use. He went through them, explaining how this one would curve to the left, this one was good for short range, and the drivers were made to fly long and straight. They had different names too, Archangel, Raptor, Eclipse, Eagle. You can imagine how as an 8yr old boy I just ate it up.

[​IMG]

And like in traditional golf, disc golfers carry around a bag filled with discs, and just like your clubs in ball-golf, you can switch your disc with each shot you take. Need to fade left? Grab a FIREBIRD. Need to go straight then fade right? Use an ARCHANGEL.

This same principal will apply in Disc Golf To Go. You'll have to choose the right discs for each level. Recently I finished the "choose your disc" feature of the game. You can only carry so many discs at a time, so thinking about which discs will be the best for each level is an important part of the game. Take a look:

[​IMG]

And with the right disc, sweet shots are possible.

[​IMG]

4. DiscGolf2Go

Hi everyone, I wanted to share another update from Disc Golf To Go. One of the bigger features I've recently added was a new "Forest" tileset. My environmental art is "sort of" using a tile system, but I really wanted to avoid how tile systems look blockish and uniform. I think the new tileset does the trick! The environments in the levels look more natural now. Here's a look at the new art in a quick demo level I put together:

[​IMG]

Also, in Disc Golf To Go, unlocking new discs is a big part of the game. I my mind, each new disc you find is like learning a new skill in an RPG. Sometimes these new discs can be "bought" from the in-game store, using in-game currency (never using iap) (this is to emulate how in real life you can go to Disc Golf "pro shops). But the majority of discs are hidden throughout the game.

Some discs will be up in trees, some in bushes, and some will just be right there on the ground, ready for you to grab. Keep a sharp eye! Finding these discs is like the game-within-the-game. I think players will have fun with this feature.

[​IMG]

5. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    A cool looking fantasy disc golf game! I'm in!

6. DiscGolf2Go

Thanks!

Thanks! I can't wait to show off more of the levels & fun features.

7. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    As a disc golfer myself, this one looks cool! Can't wait to find some of those hidden discs. It's like buried treasure out there!

8. DiscGolf2Go

Hi everyone, in this post I wanted to explain the par system in Disc Golf To Go. See, in normal disc golf you are using a combination of strength, technique, experience, and disc type to complete each hole in as few throws as possible, and you get a score based on how many shots you take.

But in Disc Golf To Go you are instead simply trying to "beat" each level. There is a par system, but instead of indicating difficulty based on distance, it counts how many strokes you have to complete the level.

[​IMG]

• A level that is Par-3, means you have 3 shots to beat the level.
    • A level that is Par-6, means you have 6 shots to beat the level.

Generally, the greater the par the easier the level is because you have more chances to mess up. As you can imagine, a level that is Par-1 is really hard. You have to ace it!

With most levels, it'll be pretty easy to get your disc in the basket with the amount of shots you are given. The real challenge is collecting stars. Each level has 5 stars that are picked up when you are disc flies through them. Think you are good? Try to beat the level under par and collect all five stars.

If you do get all 5 stars, you unlock a "Pro" version of that level. This time all of the gloves are off. There are new obstacles and trees and are in different places. Also, the pars are smaller, and you will need to aim perfectly with the right disc to beat these levels. All in all this creates 3 separate levels of difficulty; Basic, just beat the level. Stars - collect all of the stars, and Pro - the toughest challenge.

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading! Follow me on twitter @TIStudiosKels for even more updates. Finally, here's a gif of one of the earlier levels. I hope to have some play-through video soon.

[​IMG]

9. DiscGolf2Go

Hi everyone! Sorry for the inactivity. Development is still going strong, but I'm in that phase near the end of every project where most of the work is polishing up a whole bunch of little things. It's great for making the game the best it can be, but it leaves me no time to make any cool marketing material. :(

Anywho, here's some gameplay gifs I was able put together over the last few weeks. Both show off some of the "enemies" you'll be "facing" in Disc Golf To Go. Enemies?? Yup! Unlike real disc golf, where (if you are like me) you only have to worry about hitting trees, in Disc Golf To Go there's more:

Awww.. what a cute doggy..wait no! Bad Doggy!
    [​IMG]

Flying Squirrels!...with helmets??!
    [​IMG]

10. DiscGolf2Go

Here's what it looks like to build a level in the Disc Golf To Go level editor. The level editor is pretty clunky, but I'd never be able to make all these levels without it. In the end I didn't end up using this particular level. It usually takes me 2-3 tries to get a layout I like, and then I have to make a ton of minor adjustments to ensure the different types of discs can make it through.

When I design a level I have an idea in mind as to which discs will "work" with this level. Each level is sort of like a puzzle. You will have plenty of discs to choose from but only a handful will get you to the end of a lvl in the amount of attempts you are given. I try to give the player a few different options so they aren't locked into only 1 solution and can be creative. Only once or twice is a certain disc absolutely required to finish a level.

My goal with that is in those moments you will understand that you need a certain type of disc, and when you find that disc you will get a eureka moment - "Oh! Now I can go back and beat that one lvl, awesome!"

Follow me on twitter @TIStudiosKels

11. DiscGolf2Go

Hi everyone, I'm at the end of development on Disc Golf To Go! Woohoo! The last couple weeks have been about polishing the level design, creating promo material, setting up the iTunes store, and catching any bugs. I'm hoping to submit it to the App Store really soon, hopefully this week or the weekend. So it looks like the game will be released in August, what with all of the time that it takes to get reviewed and I want to do a little pre-release promotion.

Here's the 30 second preview video I made for the game's App Store listing. If you like disc golf I hope this gets you hyped! ...If you've never played disc golf I hope it gets you...curiously...hyped lol! :p

12. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Looks great! What is the pricing model going to be?

13. DiscGolf2Go

Disc Golf To Go is going to be premium. Buy once and the entire game is yours. No ads or other freemium shenanigans.

14. DiscGolf2Go

The App Store review process went a lot faster than I thought - so much so that I can actually release sooner than I originally planned! (how often does that happen??)

Disc Golf To Go is going to be available on August 1st.

Ka-ching!

15. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Will pick this up for sure, looks great!

16. DiscGolf2Go