iPad Disc Drivin' - Turn-based online multiplayer racing!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pixelocity, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Flunkie

Flunkie Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Been having an absolute blast with this game with all you guys.

Online matchmaking/Game Center support would be dreamy. :p

2. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    #102 kevlar x, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    I'm hoping for an update with lots more tracks and soon before everyone stops playing it. Also a GP mode where you all continue onto the next track and earn points based on your position

3. Indy

Indy Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    What's up with the chat feature?

I see where others are attempting to chat with me but when I tap the chat box, my game crashes to homepage everytime!

4. Pixelocity

Pixelocity Well-Known Member

Hey IndyJonez, sorry about the chat bug. We found out that this is affecting users with iOS 3.1.3 and earlier. This will be fixed in the first update, guaranteed.

5. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    My girlfriend and I are officially addicted!

We are sweetdiss and kelseykline if you want to play either of us!

Anyway, pleeeeeease add random matchmaking! And maybe a time trial solo mode! Also I love the idea of being able to create custom discs, either by painting or using the camera...

6. dosch033

dosch033 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    #106 dosch033, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
    Yeah this game is truly EPIC !! I had so many funny situations ! It was a good idea to integrate chat, it is so awesome to discuss to chat about your last messed up turn xD

7. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    haha yup, looking forward to seeing that fixed. the chat bug seems to be happening on the paid version of the game as well (on 3.1.3).
    I'm not ignoring you guys sending me messages haha

8. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Still lovin' this game! Some suggestions --

How about adding hills and dips and things like that to the tracks to give it more dimension? I know there are already ramps, but other than that they are pretty flat.

A "Next Game" button to cycle to the next game where you have a turn available, so you don't have to go back to the current games screen and tap the next one. It seems small, but Abble Dabble has this and it feels right!

Chat appearing in a speech bubble above the player's disc might be cool, displayed for one turn or whatever..

Customizing! Disc designing, creating tracks, all that!

A point based battle mode, where crossing the finish line first could be like 10 points and knocking players off could be 3 points, hitting someone with a bomb could be 5 points, etc... Something like that. Instead of the person who crosses the finish line first being the winner, it'd be the person with the most points after 10 turns or something.

Please let the 2nd player take their turn even after the first player already won! There have been a few instances where I could have easily tied but the game automatically ended when the other person crossed first, simply because he or she happened to go first at the beginning of the game.

Anyway, I obviously don't expect all of these ideas (or any, for that matter) to be implemented, but some of them might be fun to think about!

9. Pixelocity

Wow, that's a lot of stuff sweetdiss. :) We're glad you like the game, and thanks for the great suggestions and feedback! We'll definitely put some thought into these ideas.

10. kevlar x

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    Pixelcity, any idea when we can expect the first update? just a ballpark figure will do!

11. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    hey guys got another bug report for ya. pretty lame one...
    my games won't seem to update but I know it's my turn.

I woke up and saw that it was my turn for at least one game, but when I go to the app none of my available turns show up.
    I confirmed it with my friend here at work so I know that it is actually my turn. I tried before I left the house, and also here at work. no dice.

When I try to click on the games in the "their turn" list, it won't go to the game. it just gives me the spinning circle and never starts.

I downloaded the free version to see if that would work, but it fails to sign in to the server. any network problems/updates you guys are working on?

Thanks for looking into it for me

12. kevlar x

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    Don't think its working for anyone at the moment, servers seem to be down.

13. tonydeli7

tonydeli7 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Freelance Computer Engineer
    Greece
    yeap..same here..

14. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    Seems to have been down for a few hours. Hooray, I have my life back :) This game was making me violate my avoid-iPhone-use-in-front-of-other-people policy!

Still, I hope it’s back soon.

I’ve always imagined server issues to be a nearly impossible challenge for developers when a game is new: how much capacity do you need to pay for? Pay for too little and there are problems. Pay for too much and you’re out of business. And there could be bugs that only happen when the playerbase gets big enough, and couldn’t easily be caught in small beta testing. Nightmare!

15. blindspot

blindspot Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Scholarly Publisher
    Berkeley, CA
    Glad to see it's not just me.

16. blindspot

blindspot Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Scholarly Publisher
    Berkeley, CA
    This is a very good game. There are many new ideas that could be implemented to make it even better. I'll just mention the one I think is most important and probably the easiest to add: BETTER TRACKS

You give us these very cool powers, but the tracks are so looong its hard to generate enough energy to chain them up into deliciously-satisfying COMBOS. Gamers love combos and this game is begging me to show you a flick in which I turbo, ghost, turbo again, jump, turbo, lay down a bomb, turbo and then screech to a dime stop right on the edge of the abyss.

If the tracks had their turbo pads more closely placed, such an awesome move could be be theoretically possible. Right now, however, the best I can do is 3/4 around the (Sprint) track, which btw is about the best track for laying down a nicely chained power flick.

17. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    It's back :)

Long combos would be neat, but to be practical I think you'd need to have 5 separate power buttons that appear when you're charged, instead of the cycle method. And I kind of like the cycle method that forces you to think strategically about which power to have ready.

18. Rebell

Rebell New Member

Aug 10, 2010
    I would like to see the 'resign' option made available to you whether it's your turn or not. I've got a few games going with a buddy of mine who has told me he has deleted the app. Our ongoing races, however, are still taking up spots in my racing list. On all of them it's his turn, and I can't get rid of them because that option is not available.
    It's kind of crazy to ask my friend to reinstall the app, go to the races and resign from all of them in order to clear up space in my list.

19. kevlar x

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    Loving this game, a few sugestions;

1) a single player mode with 1,2 & 3 star targets for number of turns taken to get around each track. This could also have overal targets for turns taken for all tracks. Also leaderboards for this mode.

2) a grand prix mode where you earn points based on your position after each of a series of tracks

3) If you get knocked off the track you should go back a turn, or a fixed distance or something, at the moment the only thing you lose is whatever energy you've accumulated.

4) more racks obviously, with more varied terrain and obstacles.

Thats all for now :D

20. Pixelocity

Hi everybody, we did indeed have server connection issues yesterday. Thank you all for your patience, everything appears to be in working order now. I won't bore you with the details except to say that the game servers were running perfectly the whole time and this was a DNS issue, making it impossible to find the game servers on the internet.

I just want to say thanks again to all our awesome players who were very patient and understanding during the downtime. For the latest information on Disc Drivin', check out our Facebook page and follow us on Twitter:

www.facebook.com/Pixelocity
    www.twitter.com/PixelocitySW