iPad Disc Drivin' - Turn-based online multiplayer racing!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pixelocity, Dec 14, 2010.

1. hbernritter

hbernritter Well-Known Member

Jul 15, 2010
    Inventory/Marketing Manager
    Toledo, OH
    picked up the free version, add me to play - kurosaki ichigo

2. dosch033

dosch033 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Yeah Thats the only difference between the 2 versions. However, I bought the full version (Ad-free) to support the devs :D

3. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    B34$T here if anybody wants to race.

4. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
  5. Pixelocity

Pixelocity Well-Known Member

dosch033 is correct. The ads are the only difference. And if you decide to get the paid version after playing with the free one, all your active games will carry over perfectly, just use the same login.

Thanks everyone for the continued suggestions and for playing the game! We're keeping track of all the feedback, lots of good ideas we have to find time to implement. :)

6. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    One thing which really sucks is that whoever has the last turn is at a disadvantage. Player 1 finished the game and won it in his 23rd turn but player 2only got to play 22 turns coz the game announced P1 a winner before giving P2 his chance. I already lost more than 3 matches coz of this >.<

7. Pixelocity

Pixelocity Well-Known Member

Thanks ImNoSuperMan, we'll keep an eye on this and see if there are some adjustments to make.

8. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    I'd like to hear how or wether people are making full use of the weapons. I find it too awkward to select weapons and activate in the short time you have once you have started your disc moving. Sure you can preselect a weapon before you take your turn but switching once on the move if you sudenly decide to change is a lot harder as you may have to cycle past a few weapons to reach the desired one. I'm thinking it would be better to have the six weapon icons slide up from the bottom as soon as you've swiped, or they are already displayed but grey'd out until you swipe.

What does everyone else think? Am I just struggling cos I'm getting old?

9. bgribin

bgribin Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Add me to your games! name is bgribin.

10. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    I like that idea.

11. BATTLE BORN

BATTLE BORN Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    #71 BATTLE BORN, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
    I'm experiencing a crash in the free version when I try to read my messages in the chat window. I can open blank chat windows fine, but I can't read messages which were sent to me.

playing disc drivin' free, on a jailbroken 3gs 3.1.3

thanks for the great game

EDIT: my username is "battle born" if anyone wants to race

12. jjjmedia

jjjmedia Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Add me, too! Name's jjj

13. Indy

Indy Well-Known Member

May 26, 2008
    Names SAF

let's play

14. Rubyjourney

Rubyjourney Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2010
    add me Kylar

15. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    #75 sweetdiss, Dec 29, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
    I think something may need to be done about the zoom-out camera button. I've had several occasions where the icon/my thumb blocked something I needed to see. It might work better if you were just able to tap the icon once to zoom out and tap anywhere on the screen to zoom back to the normal view?

Another small issue I have is--

Also, it might be cool to have computer opponents to practice against, and maybe a time trial mode where you could "race" your ghost to practice getting a perfect lap around the track.

All in all this game keeps getting better and better as I play, and I think you devs are doing an amazing job, despite my (small) criticisms. So keep it up! : )

Also, once again, this definitely needs random matchmaking...

s/n = sweetdiss

16. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Ack! No. The arrow's just a guide. Let's leave the gameplay in the player's hands please, instead of watching the game play itself. There's a good reason why the disc goes flying at an angle you didn't want sometimes. It's the same reason field goals go wide, balls go above the crossbar or hit the rim, and don't always land on the green in regulation. Let's leave player skill a factor please. :rolleyes:

17. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I see what you're saying, but like in most artillery games and mini golf games, setting angle and power alone can still require skill. Anyway, I assume a lot of people probably have your opinion so for goodness sakes devs, please ignore that part of my post! Yikes!

18. dosch033

Feb 27, 2009
    Yeah, the way you play is alright. However, one thing I would like to see would be a page with statistics, like the number of wins, boosts, etc.

One more thing, in a recent podcast of The Portable Gaming (I think) you (The devs) spoke about new power ups, you mentionned one, a rocket, just like in Mario Kart that acts like a rocket with auto pilot. You may consider the fact that people would start to only take this power up. In my opinion, you should only be possible to use that boost once a game. Maybe it would be better to include a power up that beams you to a certain distance, maybe a disctance of 7 discs or so.

Thx

19. dosch033

Feb 27, 2009
  20. LdC

LdC Active Member

Mar 22, 2009
    You can hold the button to zoom out, then move your finger - it stays zoomed out so long as you are touching anywhere on the screen :)