iPad Disc Drivin' - Turn-based online multiplayer racing!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Pixelocity, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Pixelocity

Pixelocity Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great feedback, dosch033, glad you like the game! We'll definitely keep all this in mind as we plan our updates!

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Ok. This is a neat little fun game and I;ve been playing the free version for hours now. One small problem though. Online works good enough but please replace it with Gamecenter multiplayer (with auto-match instead of just friend invitees).

3. Pixelocity

Thanks for playing and for the feedback, ImNoSuperMan! We're definitely looking into adding GameCenter and additional matchmaking options.

4. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    impressive idea and visual~~~but i guess i will play RR2 for a while..

5. dosch033

dosch033 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Yeah, but I'm having problems in Ninja Fruit when I invite my friends to play. I hope this isn't going to be a problem :(
    Because of this, tournaments like this one wouldn't be possible :

http://weheartgames.com/disc/

However, I would like to see an auto-match, it does not have to be with gamecenter, because in my opinion, for online gaming gamecenter is too slow.

Now concerning additionnal updates and content.

I tried the free version for some time but I liked the effort you put into the game and bought the premium without ads. But it is quiet expensive to just remove the ads. It would be only fair if you put more content into the premium version than into the free ad-supported one.
    You can add new tracks, I can even imagine a track editor ! why not, it doesn't have to be created on your iphone, instead on your computer, via your browser and then upload it to the server. Or later on, include a trackeditor on the ipad version.
    Then, it would be awesome to costumize your disc, with pictures from your photo application or, if it isn't possible, you could include a large number of discs the user could choose from.
    Concerning game center again, some leaderboards would be nice, seperate leaderboards for every type of game. And some achievements.

I already commented the fact that I would be prefer an universal update for the game, but it depends on how you do it. if the ipad includes a trackeditor, then i would buy it immediately, if it is the same, i can't imagine myself paying the same price for the same game. Your choice.

that's all. I really recommend the game to every one who owns an idevice ! This game is legendary ! I hope you devs include more content :D I may be the first one in Luxembourg who bought your game, but you deserve more :D I'll try to promote it here in my country, but I miss some reviews :D Ask slidetoplay, toucharcade, 148apps, appmodo, and more to review your game !

Christian Dos Reis

6. dosch033

Feb 27, 2009
    One issue I'm having right now, is the fact that I can't delete any match. Neither Completed races nor actual races.

7. dosch033

Feb 27, 2009
  8. ps49556n

ps49556n Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2010
    I really want to try this game out but I dont know anyone else who plays it!!!!

9. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I'm a big fan of PitchCar!

I'd love to play online, please add me: Riggy

Thanks!

10. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Is showing an ad after every single turn in multiplayer really necessary? I mean, that really takes it out of the realm of inconvenience and basically makes you choose between buying the full game or just deleting. Perhaps that is the intention?

11. aeaglex7

aeaglex7 Active Member

Nov 17, 2009
    I'm aeaglex8 if anyone wants to play. :D

12. kevlar x

kevlar x Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Wales,uk
    Lovin the game but finding it a little unstable. I've had white screen freezes, black screen freezes and just had a weired flickering screen issue. I'm playing on an iphone 4 on 4.2.1.

13. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    I’m “Adams Immersive” (with the space, two Ms in Immersive).

I know what you mean, but I enjoyed the ad-supported version of Words With Friends for ages, despite a full-screen ad after each turn. I got used to it somewhat, and when playing a long-term asynchronous game the ads aren’t hitting you too frequently.

Still obnoxious. I’m with you. (One reason Android doesn’t tempt me.) BUT, on the flip side... running a multiplayer game means having back-end servers always running, and always costing the developer money. If the developer can’t pay for the servers anymore (since after all, one-time sales will eventually slow) then a good game can shut down. So I’m glad to see an ad-supported version in the mix. I plan to get the paid version (once this takes off) but it’s important to have ongoing revenue as well.

For those who find the ads intolerable, treat it as a demo/lite: a risk-free way to try before you buy.

14. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Start a game with people who have posted their usernames here :) Or post your own Disc Drivin’ username.

(I even found it fun at first to play Pass N’ Play against myself. Useful for learning the powerups and getting a feel for the swiping.)

15. And the tracks. I actually play pass-n-play against myself just because it's kind of relaxing and zen-like. There's no distracting background music and the sparse sound effects are actually quite pleasing.

16. Aegis

Aegis Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Add me " Aegis "

17. Pepi

Pepi Active Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Who's in for a game? Add: mointec

18. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    Having fun with some of the folks from here :) The game is great as is (with the obvious omission of random matchmaking), but FWIW I have a couple of suggestions:

1. Every time you select a game in progress (such as when you’re notified it’s your turn), automatically replay the last turn anyone made. I always want to see that, and this would make it zero taps to instead of two.

2. During all replays, add a prominent Skip or Cancel button. (For those who don’t want my suggested auto-replay, or who started a replay by mistake.)

3. Whenever the camera moves from one player to another, make the situation more clear. My thought: zoom out smoothly (to show both players, or maybe the whole map). Then hold for an instant, and use a blinking effect to highlight the player discs. Then zoom smoothly to the new player. This could all be very quick—maybe a half-second longer than the current effect—but it would show you simple things like who’s ahead and who’s behind. (And to help that: the blinking effect could be a row of 1/2/3 dots superimposed on all discs, showing at a glance which lap each player is on.)

19. Pixelocity

Thanks everyone for playing and all the great feedback!

kevlar x, we're working on the screen issues you might be seeing and will have fixes in the first update.

Regarding the ads, Adams Immersive is correct. We definitely don't want to annoy people, we just need to make sure that the server costs are covered. We will definitely keep an eye on the costs and reduce the number of ads if we can.

Adams Immersive and dosch033, thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. We definitely want to add more content and features to the game. We're really excited about all the feedback and support we're getting from everyone. We've got a lot of ideas of our own and a ton coming in from players that would be excellent. Stay tuned! :)

20. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    #40 Adams Immersive, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
    And thanks for joining in here, Pixelocity! I can see this game becoming a problem addiction in my life :)

A further thought about auto-replay when you access a game: if it’s a >2-player game, ALL players should replay (but not your own last turn if you’re up next). And they should replay without having to tap to see the next one. That way you can quickly get caught up on all changes, and then get past the auto-replay and on to your turn with zero taps.

(Tapping to start the next segment of a NON-automatic replay seems fine though. Sometimes it’s nice to replay under your own control.)

ALSO: An audio alert (even a normal popup) for new turns WHILE still in the game would be nice. Example: I don’t always turn the screen off (especially while charging), and then if I’ve left the game running, I don’t get notified of the next turn until I next happen to pick up the device.