Universal Dink Smallwood HD (by www.rtsoft.com)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Seth A Robinson, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Seth A Robinson

Seth A Robinson Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Game developer
    Japan
    I'm really not sure about game time, probably 13-20 hours to finish the game but really not sure. Lot of variance.

About DMODs (Dink Modules are add-on quests that are completely new adventures and may let you player other characters etc.. 300+ exist):

I actually did write full and fantastic DMOD support in the hopes that Apple would loosen its rules before release. That did happen, but not enough to be able to download scripted game-additions on the fly. The second that happens I will re-enable the complete DMOD support. (See that empty spot on the main menu? Broke my heart disabling that)

For now though, I am working with DMOD authors to actually include the best ones (and tweak them a bit for iPad/iPhone) with the game itself, this is legal as far as Apple is concerned.

"Mystery Island" and hopefully a few others should be added next month. (free updates, not IAP)

Be sure to use the "Quick save" feature from the pause menu a lot in addition to the normal "Save machines". You do a full state-save from anywhere, anytime with that. (Good for right before you fight a boss..)

2. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Thank You for the code Seth! I will leave you a review after I spend a little time with it tomorrow.

3. Caladell

Caladell Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Thanks for the code Seth!
    Some quick impressions here as I've played it a bit, but not a ton:
    Controls are great, and I like the dpad much better than move anywhere. Haven't noticed it being too touchy like someone else had mentioned. One 'issue' I've had with the controls is mostly my fault, but figured I'd mention it. While fighting the potato bug things NE of your farm, I was hammering away on the punch button, and ended up hitting the inspect button quite a few times. Like I said, my issue, but others may run into it as well.
    Humor is way up there. I've chuckled a few times so far, and I haven't even gotten far. Loving the interaction with the gnome mage guy.
    With it stating in the description, "Supports iPhone, iPhone 4/Retina, and iPad at native resolutions" I was wondering how it would do on my iPod touch 2g. Happy to report that it runs great, and loading was really fast. Faster than most everything I have on there. Area transitions are good and quick.
    I really like all the save spots plus quick save. Makes it much more manageable to play.
    Anyway, so far, really good game :)

4. Fafner

Fafner Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    Yow!

Thanks!

I did try the other control method but I do prefer the fixed dpad. After playing a bit more I got used to it and it controls pretty darn good

I also have to say on my iPad it seems to run smoother with the fps locked

5. cloudcastles

cloudcastles Well-Known Member

May 16, 2010
    I find the D-pad a little too low for me. Can you add a feature within the options to allow the D-pad to be shifted? Regarding the touch controls, I prefer the type in Dungeon Hunter (character moves to wherever you tap).

Other wishes:
    - That I can save the game from anywhere and not just that one place.
    - That dialog options can be selected by a simple tap and not the up/down arrows followed by the punch button.
    - This is a small wish: I know it's a classic game, but still I wish the resolution looked better.

Overall, the gameplay is interesting enough that I'll be exploring this game further. I'm still getting used to the controls. I keep punching people by mistake when I'm wanting to talk to them.

I'll write a review on iTunes later.

6. IcarusFly

IcarusFly Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Music teacher, administrator of a home for abandon
    USA
    Hey guys, is this game similar to underworlds on the iPad. I really enjoyed that game and have been looking for something like it?

7. warcrack

warcrack Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2010
    Electrical Engineer
    TA
    Awesome.Lock great.Thanks for a nice game!

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Maybe a little -I too like underworlds.
    Dink seems to have a lot more story invested - Underworlds tends to be have a mission, but much more get to the dungeon.

Dink has NPCs that you talk with, side quests that they give you. Also after about 45 minutes of play, you are still using your fists, and you have just got your first magic spell - so I think that the leveling system may be looking at a longer time...

But in the sense of exploration, busting things open, fighting enemies - they have similarities. AFAIK Dink does not have any special sword attacks - I am assuming that he will have a variety of magic attacks. I think you would probably enjoy this one though.

9. Thrak

Thrak Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Wow, pretty awesome that this is released. I didn't even know it was coming. I have fond memories of Dink from the late 90s.

You might want to update the RTSoft Dink page to announce that it's out now, although I see you do have info on your blog.

10. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Ok, I played around with it, and I am liking it so far.
    Have a few things.

1. I don't care for the moving with your finger control. since it's not moving
    that way.

2. I was told to do something when I started the game, but can't remember what it was. I went around, kept feeding pigs... then what?
    Is there a way to see the quest or see the conversion(log) ?

Other then that, the game looks nice.. got that 80's feeling back.

11. IcarusFly

IcarusFly Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Music teacher, administrator of a home for abandon
    USA
    Thanks for the response pluto6. When I saw the video with the player hitting the heads off of the ducks I knew I had to go ahead and get the game. Now I just need a few hours to sit down and play it. I will also post some impressions when I get the chance.

12. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    #32 Duke Floss, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
    wow this takes me back - I remember playing through the original and all the big dmods back when it first became freeware!!!!!

Great work Seth, next gift card I get definitely is going towards this.

What about - if I remember correctly - the original opening cutscene (from the official CD release)? Did that make the final cut this time?

13. Seth A Robinson

Jun 27, 2009
    Game developer
    Japan
    Hmm, can you give any more details about #1? I should have explained it works when it is enabled instead of just in the help screen, I'm worried that people might think it's broken because they think it works like "tap to move there" instead of "drag to make an angle (position on the screen doesn't matter) and dink walks that way".

2. No, it's .. very old-school in that department. Figuring out what to do next can be a problem, it was designed before the days of quest logs and such.

In many cases characters will remind Dink of what he should be doing though. In the first area, talking to your mom should do it.

14. Seth A Robinson

Jun 27, 2009
    Game developer
    Japan
    No, I left it out. I think I legally could use it, but it's sort of weird because it has credits in it for "Iridon-interactive", a now defunct publisher. Plus it's sort of.. strange, has very little to do with the game, we didn't design it.

Next month an update is planned with some great DMOD's included (including Mystery Island), hmm, wonder if I could slip that in that movie as an easter-egg somewhere...

15. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Hi,

thanks for number 2 :)

for number 1

I figured out to drag my finger over the screen.
    But I ran across these issues

1. When it's enabled. the person just walks on it's own at the bottom of the
    screen. you have to put your finger down, to make him stop walking.
    (happens a lot when it switches screen.)

2. When the person is like halfway, and you drop to the top right.
    he only moves straight up, and from the point where i have my finger
    he stops about 2 inches on the left of me.

hope this helps ?

16. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I'm stupid but what is DMOD ?

17. Seth A Robinson

Jun 27, 2009
    Game developer
    Japan
    Hmm, what device are you using?

You should drag, and then stop, leaving your finger down on the screen while he is moving. He should keep walking in the direction of the drag until you release your finger, or start dragging in a new angle. Is it buggy and not working that way?

BTW: DMOD's are add-on quests with new stories and graphics. They will be selectable in addition to the main game and half their own save-game data etc separately.

18. pka4916

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    I tried it again. Have a Ipad.

Moved my finger from the left of the house at the bottom, to the right top. walking around the house.

the person stopped at the top again, left of my finger (about 1 1/2 - 2 inches)

if I use the d-pad, then it's fine..

19. Seth A Robinson

Jun 27, 2009
    Game developer
    Japan
    I just tested it and worked beautifully for me so hrm, confused. Keep in mind the location of dink on the screen has no connection to where your finger is - the only thing that matters is the angle you draw.

Anyone else having trouble with the second control scheme?

20. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    Thanks a lot dev for the code. I played for around 30 mins and here are my thoughts:

- Liking the old school feel, old school graphics and even the old fashioned humor, so far action is low like the dev said but I love that it's heavy in story and can be played in bits and pieces leisurely.

- There are three different kinds of save (save machine, quick save, auto save on exit) but I've a question, when you choose to load a game from save, does it load from save machine or quick save, or does it load from whichever way you last saved your game?

- I search around for a quest list but couldn't find one. Bummer. What if I couldn't remember what I was required to do, where do I go to recap that information?

- Change the icon, please. Right now I don't think it's enticing at all to attract potential customers.

- What do you need to include info on keyboard?

- Surprisingly I like d-pad a lot more than drag to move. Can't really move around effectively using drag (I know you swipe in the direction you want to move, still it's not very nicely implemented), but the d-pad is very well done. Haven't any troubles with it, and that's saying a lot.

Overall I like what I see so far, may not be everyone's cup of tea but if you like old school RPG you can very well check this out. Looking much forward to coming updates.

Oh and I just found out Dungeon Scroll and Mind Wall are by you?! I own all three of your iStore games! I like all those games, does that make me a fan? :p