iPad Difficulty of Super Monkey Ball

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Silver Orange, Jan 6, 2009.

?

What is the level of difficulty of Super Monkey Ball?

1. Very Easy

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Easy

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. Just Right

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. Challenging

24 vote(s)
    58.5%
  5. Impossible

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Silver Orange

Silver Orange Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    I have heard people say that super monkey ball is a really hard game because of the controls. What do you guys think about the hardness? It would be nice if you could give some details.

2. manolis

manolis Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    USA
    I personally love this game. it took a little bit to get used to the controls, but after a couple weeks of playing constantly, I beat the game :D. 110 levels. to tell you the truth, most people just bought the game on launch day and then played maybe 5 or 6 levels and put it down and never touched it again but the difficulty isnt THAT hard. a couple of levels are really hard but its a fun game.

3. Silver Orange

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    I heard you have to collect all the bananas in all the levels to advance to the next world or something, did that bother you at all?

4. manolis

Dec 7, 2008
    USA
    you dont have to collect ALL the bananas. all you have to do is get to the exit. and if you collect 10 bananas you get a life. it helps to get the bananas but u dont have to get them.

5. Silver Orange

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    so if you get to the goals of all the levels you can advance to the next world?

6. manolis

Dec 7, 2008
    USA
    Yup. Thats it. i dont know why people think its soooooo hard. All my friends who have it, havent even gotten half way through world one because they gave up on it. wat a waste of 10 dollars:eek:

7. Silver Orange

Dec 28, 2008
    California
    Thank a lot! You have been very helpful!

8. dreyfus2

dreyfus2 Member

Dec 22, 2008
    It is really not that hard – there are a few levels (really not many) where there is a certain "luck factor" involved (you just try to blindly move into the right direction and hope to hit elevating platforms etc. at the right time). There are levels that I have solved instantly the first time I tried them, and then failed some 20 times thereafter. It's a monkey game after all.

The difficulty is really what makes this game fun (and it is fun)... it sometimes makes you feel like a complete monkey (not even a chimp), and sometimes you just fly through several difficult levels in a row. The player is a bit like a guinea pig in a maze - once failed you cannot even continue where you left off, they always put you back to the first level of a world. If it would be easier, it would be quite pointless.

9. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Agreed. After the first few levels you'll be put to the test, but spending a good amount of time on the hard levels in the game are always a good preparation for the later levels, so you'll benefit from spending time on the game.
    It's challenging, but would it be worth the money if you'd get through the game in a day?

(Just a note: I finished all levels except for the last one, and only got all the banana's on the first 10 levels)

10. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Yeah, I have a really hard time believing anybody can beat ALL 110 levels...
    But yeah, it's pretty damn challenging. The trick is to move as fast as you can and just zoom though the levels (pretty much what dreyfus2 said)...

11. juicy

juicy Active Member

Dec 29, 2008
    #11 juicy, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
    On the Nintendo GameCube (still the best platform for this game), Super Monkey Ball isn't nearly as much as a game of luck as it is a game of pure skill and precision. Check out some of these archive gameplay videos for an idea of what the original game was capable of...

In fact, almost every single version of SMB ever released for other platforms has sucked big time (except perhaps the first version for the Xbox). Believe me, I've tried most of them.

I don't hate the iPod version of SMB per se, but I am very disappointed with the sloppy control mechanics which mars the conceptual spirit of the original title.

(EDIT: For the poll, I would have chosen 'Frustrating' had it been available).

12. shubhangam

shubhangam Active Member

Dec 27, 2008
    I differ..

Going as fast as you can will get you to level 7. tada!

Iv beat all the levels except the ones which unlock if you collect all 10 bananas in each round.. Must say, the game is amazing fun once you get the hang of the controls.

13. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    You are right. Only about half the levels can be beaten that way (by zooming through). There are some shortcuts in a couple of levels too, you just gotta trust your monkey. Yeah, whoever can get all the bananas in the last level without falling is a god among men...

14. corpsicle

corpsicle Member

Dec 11, 2008
    I agree with juicy, but i would go one further and say that the iphone/ipod controls are really horrible.
    Ive finished SMB1 on gamecube many many times, even with one life ( well, the medium levels ), but this is stupid.
    You try to turn one way, it buggers off somewhere else.
    Unless theres some calibration thing that im missing, this game is unplayable.
    That doesnt mean that its not possible to finish it, as some has proved here, but i say its completely impossible to enjoy playing it.
    At least if youve played SMB1 on gamecube ( the only really good one ).
    Ive played SMB1, SMB deluxe, SMB adventure, SMB on gba, SMB on ds, SMB on wii ... and all suck except for SMB1.

15. radiostar

radiostar Member

Dec 17, 2008
    When I play it i get dizzy

16. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    I like that quote...

17. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    can you calibrate the controls?

18. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Thank you sir. I like the Oranje (great football)...

Can someone explain to me what exactly they mean by "calibrate" SMB's controls? I just don't get it...

19. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    The Netherlands
    There's a default position in which the ball is not moving, that's what's being meant. You have to sit in a certain position for the game to play nicely, so you can't play the game while lying in bed.

But no, I don't believe you can change it. So if you're in bed you're going to want to sit up in order to play SMB.
    (Not 100% sure, haven't played in a few weeks. There was an update a little while ago but I think it only added a little rectangle in which you can see how you're currently holding the device relative to the neutral point.)

20. Everydaynormalguy

Oct 5, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Ok, that makes sense. It is very unpractical anyway as many levels aren't completely flat and therefore you can't stop in the middle. As far as finding your initial neutral point, the little indicator should really help. Also, slowing the monkey down is useless since every level is timed and sometimes you just make it in the nick of time.