Did this make you jump? ;)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Rylin, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Rylin

Rylin Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Did this trailer make you jump any? ;)

http://bit.ly/b5wzpY

There was a story in the news back in June where theaters in certain states had to pull the trailer because people found it too scary. :p

Some people found the first movie scary, some people thought it was laughable but I definitely want to see the sequel. :cool:

2. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Movie was amazing! Can't wait to see the sequel!

3. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Hated the first one, saw nothing scary about it, and this looks to be more of the same crap.

4. f e a r l e s s

Mar 12, 2009
    Denial is the first sign of guilt.

5. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

Not in this case, lol. I've seen thousands of horror movies in my life, and have read hundreds of horror novels-I know what's scary, and what works, this didn't. It was silly, contrived, and unoriginal.

6. f e a r l e s s

Mar 12, 2009
    I don't really watch many movies. So, I guess my opinion will differ. ;)

7. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Well the trailer didn't make me even twitch a muscle, because I was expecting it.
    The film looks bad, but that's just because I think "paranormal activity" and ghosts are a load of BS. I'd be much more worried about aliens invading (which they probably will sometime in the future).

8. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Paranormal Activity was utterly terrible. A classic example of throwing away any sign of a story in the hope some boring docu-style camera shots and uninspired CGI effects will scare people enough so they don't notice. I don't expect any better from the sequel.

9. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I didn't hate the movie, but I did find most of it really really boring. I'm just glad I didn't actually pay to see this in theaters.

Then maybe I would've been pissed about wasting my money.

Nothing scary about the first one, at all. Then again, movies aren't scary nowadays.

10. I really, really can't stand these shaky-cam, documentary-style flicks. Blair Witch, District 9, Cloverfield, etc. The attempts to be realistic ruins the suspension of disbelief for me because of the intentionally crappy cinematography.

11. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Agreed, though I did like District 9. But I don't think that was supposed to be scary.

This trailer didn't make me twitch, and neither did the first film. By the time it was even getting remotely close to anything "Scary", it ended. What a waste. This one is going to be just as bad.

12. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    My girlfriend absolutely hates shaky cam stuff. Seriously, she's a nightmare to watch them with. Her = Much scarier than a scary shaky cam film.

I'll still watch this regardless, to annoy her.

13. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    LOL

My wife jumps at suspenseful parts but she more or less likes scary movies regardless if she is scared by them or not. It's a blast to watch her jump in fear as I sit there feeling like a robot.

14. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    It's weird mate, I swear my lady is fearless. The first year we got together she was pretty new to horror, now we are in year 4 and she's seen so much Asian/French horror, she is unshakable. Very weird when I am the one jumping as she sits there unphased. :rolleyes:

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I didn't really notice the shaky cam in District 9. It wasn't shaky enough for me to consider it different from a regular handheld used in a non-intentionally shaky manner.

16. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I wouldn't class D9 as shaky either mate. I thought it was very solid on the camera front.

17. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ

T'was a fooking good movie man!

18. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    I loved it bro, but those kind of movies are always going to invoke negative reactions from some.

19. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I hear that. Especially with Cloverfield. That movie was garbage. Untill the very last second of the movie when it finally explained what it was (somewhat).

20. Well, it wasn't as shaky, but I put it in the same class because it's still intended to be a faux docudrama, which is a genre I just can't sink my teeth into. It's infinitely worse when you introduce the stupid motion-sickness-inducing "amateur cam" footage, but with or without that it still just doesn't work as a compelling vehicle for storytelling to me. It just makes me feel like I'm watching some stupid viral video on YouTube.