Universal Dicey Elementalist (by Doublethink Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brightsiderus, Apr 26, 2021.

1. DoublethinkGames

Mar 18, 2019
    Male
    #21 DoublethinkGames, Apr 28, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    Dear gamers on Toucharcade!

We’re Doublethinkers, we’ve been quiet for a while, and this time we’re shouting out for our new project: Dicey Elementalist, we will launch its official build on Appstore on May 20th, 2021.

[​IMG]

Inspired by a popular dice game called Yahtzee.

- Five dice are rolled three times, keep the best score.

On this basis.

Add some deck building

Add some random variables (Rogue-lite)

Add some unique heroes

Add some different game mechanics

And...Here it comes! The Dice Master!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

THE RULE IS SIMPLE

Light up the elements of a card required to play, bingo!

If you can't light the card, the card will be unusable = useless!

So

Be sure to build your deck reasonably well with your "brilliant strategic"!

Since the current build is not our official releasing build, please kindly let us know if you guys met any problems when playing, which would be really really helpful and appreciated. :3

Cheers!

Contact Us: [email protected]

Appstore: https://apps.apple.com/app/id1494424699

More at www.doublethinkgames.com

Lebowski_HS likes this.
  2. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I noticed there is some lag when you open and close the menu that shows all your cards. Other than that, I didn't notice any lag in any other parts of the game.

Also, I'm really enjoying the game. I guess my main critique is the animation / sounds for using your cards to attack just doesn't feel very satisfying. It's hard to explain. Maybe there needs to be a satisfying sound effect when you use the cards (current there is no sound when you use cards). And maybe even move the cards lower down the screen and allow them to be "flung" at the opponent. That would be nice. Like in other similar games, it feels good when you fling a bunch of cards at your opponent and can hear the sound effect.

The core of the game is great I just feel like the animation when using cards could be improved.

3. DoublethinkGames

Mar 18, 2019
    Male
    Hey guys,

Thanks for your feedback, I think the menu issue you mentioned is one of our developers' designs, and I will pass your feelings about the animation to our developers, hope we can give you guys the best experience.

4. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    @DoublethinkGames
    I'm really enjoying the game, but have to admit, as a hardcore roguelike fan, I'm not too stoked by the allowance of ENDLESS continues. I wouldn't even mind a couple, but the current unlimited aspect feels weak (unless there is a limit that I missed).

5. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Of course, you can just restart rather than continue, can't you. I've never died yet so I don't know what the tradeoffs are when you continue.

I do have a couple of questions/comments/suggestions:

Does the dice roll before each encounter mean anything? Is it just flavor?

Do the directions of the room exits mean anything at all? I tried moving in a loop but it didn't seem to matter. If I choose a red (monster) exit then is it completely irrelevant which one I choose?

Any way to speed up the rolling a bit? After a while I know exactly what I'm going to do most of the time and it's just how fast I can do it.

Sometimes with a defensive build against an enemy that can heal I feel close to an infinite battle where my armor keeps going up but I can't hurt the enemy faster than it recovers. I've never actually been able not to win, but should there be something in the system to handle this?

Just once I saw a die with a symbol that looks like a closed eye that isn't one of the six elements. Is this some kind of status effect?

6. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    how's the $3 iap work?
    worthy?

7. andreadeda

andreadeda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Very fun game; i see you unlock some cards when you win with your characters but i feel the number of cards available is a bit on the short side.

On the other side i unlocked a second character (the 1.09€ one) and it's not just the skills that are different but the whole rolling mechanics; that's really good as it gives some variety.

8. RIJ

RIJ New Member

May 13, 2021
    #28 RIJ, May 13, 2021
    Last edited: May 13, 2021
    I have unlocked most everything (everything except if something is locked behind achievements that I miss). More options become availble as you complete some categories in the gem shop. There are two fairly late unlocks of loot reroll and shop rerolls that are very strong.

some comments about the different PCs, from my pov.

The initial one (knight?) is quite borring and I just played it enough to unlock everything.

Stealthy, the hero you can unlock with ingame currency, feels the most powerfull, since he can mostly just reroll untill everything is done - he gets a reroll when you use a card. Aim for cards and artifacts tha make more cards, the double strike card (to do it twice) and the extra turn card (if you get the artifact that copies an initial card with 20% you can go infinite - like I have finished the last bosses on the highest levels in turn 1 with 10 or so extra turns left: this is to me why I say stealthy is the most powerfull. Prophet and I imagine the others can do turn 1 boss kills but not that many extra turns as well). Ecspecially blue has many such cards.

Prophet, the expensive unlock is fun and have a number of unique cards - he destroys his dies when he uses a card (or a random if it is gray). An example is a card that deals 1/2 of current life as damage. Besides the destroy dies when you play cards, prophet also uses your full deck instead of being limited to 6 (when you have more tha 6 you see 6 at random initially and draw new whenever you use a card, until you have used all). He has a mod (or second hardest I think) where you get cards from the oppeont instead of the standard cards, which can be fun. Note: he does not get gray cards by default and you really need to keep his deck nice and tidy because you cant play that many cards typically (he does have copy die cards though). You can destroy cards in the shop with him...

Chanter - the cheaper unlock for money - was not that interesting to me. She creates a die (out of some choices instead of rerolling). The mod where she keeps her dies each turn was interesting though.

answers to others questions:
    I do not think the die rolls on loading screens matter or atleast havnt found anything.

Which monster room you enter among multiples only matters insofar that the monster is determinted by it: if you resstart before having finished a room, you start from the end of the previous room and can therefore make choices based on it, if you do not care about the save scumming.

the closed eye symbol is for the blind status effect. It hides one of the real symbols, but it can still be used/rerolled.

I do not know anything about speeding up.

the 3$ unlock did not feel worth it to me. It only removes the continue add and not the other adds.

9. Gambler

Gambler Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #29 Gambler, May 18, 2021
    Last edited: May 18, 2021
    I love this game. Tons of replayability and content.

Ofc I’d prefer the premium model and am not too happy with some of its F2P characteristics (even though in the realms of F2P games it’s still one of the fairest models I‘ve encountered): The unlock to get rid of ads only gets rid of some ads, you still have to watch them for getting bonuses during a or increasing your loot after a playthrough - Same as if you payed for the unlock or not. And yeah, you get double for two of the three in-game "currencies" as well but paying for no more ads should mean that you get no more ads.

I also payed for the two other characters that cost money, still a bit weird that one of them is about twice as expensive as the other. Both have different mechanics (as every playable character in the game) a few different cards and characteristics but it’s still a bit hard to comprehend why one would cost more than the other.

Yet small criticism aside, the game is really good. I love card RPGs (or is it a roguelite?) anyway, the mechanics are well thought out and you continually unlock new cards or chase after another achievement and there are often new surprises in form of more content. Even though the "harder levels" could be a bit more challenging sometimes.

Also don‘t understand why TA locked the game‘s main thread - It‘s already out and even has been no1 or no2 of the TA Hot Games list for quite a while now. So how is it an upcoming game? Have it one way or the other.

Would be great if people could discuss it in the official thread - After all, everybody can already download it and more importantly, the game seems as good as done. Definitely beyond any beta phase while only a small portion of extra in-game content is still "under construction".

10. solarnya

solarnya Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Male
    Close to Tokyo, Japan
    when will it update?

11. BazizzleHizzle

BazizzleHizzle Active Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Male
    I absolutely love this game, and it has become my recent go-to.

Will there be any updates with additional content to look forward to? It appears to be structured that way. I have a few more replay runs remaining but I’ve otherwise done all there is to do, reducing my replay incentive to the daily challenge. I’m an old man with the attention span of an old man who has been playing video games for 40+ years lol. I can’t grind a game without its being achievement-based, is what I mean to say, my rheumy eyes gloss over in a circular game grind lolol.

Son of Anarchy and Gambler like this.
  12. BazizzleHizzle

Nov 7, 2020
    Male
    Also, a minor quibble from a grammarian - it’s “Become Immune to…”, not “Become ImmuneD to…”. Surely that’s a minor fix. There are a couple other text bugs here & there, just saw one in fact. If you’d like screen shots of them in case they’re situational, let me know and I’d be happy to.

13. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    Also spotted some grammatical and spelling errors - Nothing major and @BazizzleHizzle offered his help here already anyway. Made only a screenshot of the last (spelling) error I‘ve spotted. No idea if devs are even reading this but here we go:

[​IMG]

Should be beginning ;)

And I also encountered some kind of minor bug: I‘m getting the "The Greedy" achievement after every single playthrough (and as I absolutely love this game I already have dozens of playthroughs with nearly 100 hours sunk into it, only 2 champion gold medals missing). The weird thing is, The Greedy is awarded for "0 Gold earned", I always earned and spent gold though and from my experience it‘s also pretty hard to not earn any in a normal playthrough (Guess it’d be possible with the Curse Codex contract in a daily challenge - That one‘s as good as impossible to acquire soon enough in a standard game though). Anyway, hope this helps.

[​IMG][/url]

14. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    #34 Gambler, May 28, 2021
    Last edited: May 28, 2021
    Oh and another issue: One of the merchants said in a text bubble that you can increase your score in daily challenges by using potions. But when I used them in a few fights in the hope of increasing my high score (for the 1200+ pts Champion Candidate achievement), they didn‘t have any effect on the final number at all.

For example if you win two Yahtzee matches during a game you get the "achievement" "The Gambler" in the end with 60 points (= 30pts per win) but there‘s nothing similar for using potions, no matter if you‘ve used one or ten, during normal playthroughs or daily challenges.

No idea if this is a bug or if the merchant wasn‘t honest with me ;) But if it‘s the former, would be great if this could be fixed as well.

Still, thanks again for this great game. Hope it‘s going to get the attention it deserves!

Sadly, I’ve got only a single no medals missing anymore :( Hope there‘s some new content on the horizon, eagerly awaiting the new challenges that are still 'under construction' so far :)

15. BazizzleHizzle

Nov 7, 2020
    Male
    Gambler, I feel what you’re saying about Daily Challenge scores. I’m grateful you brought it up, because even with the breakdown of the point totals at the end, however those things were being tabulated & consequently how best to affect them is just about as clear as mud to me. Only reason I didn’t post about it was from being a Shrinking Violet - I didn’t want any Internet Guys to step in and point out how dumb I am at math. Because I am lol, we just don’t need to talk about it.

16. JackDerp

JackDerp Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2015
  17. Gambler

Mar 10, 2014
    Gazorpazorp
    I‘m confused why the game‘s main thread is still locked? Shouldn‘t the official launch have been months ago? Hope it wasn‘t abandonded as challenges are still "Under Construction" like they‘ve already been months ago.

Usually such things happen when downloads/profits fall below expectations but definitely not BEFORE an official launch … Wouldn‘t make much sense as the main game is 100% done and completable but its whole (pre-)launch has been a bit, let‘s say, unusual so far …

For me the game is one of the best mobile titles of 2021 atm and has a very fair f2p model. Just hope that‘s not one of the reasons why there seemingly hasn‘t been any more progress (no good deed goes unpunished?). Alas besides the daily challenges there isn’t much left to do once you’ve unlocked everything (which takes quite a few dozen hours to be fair though).

Think the game with it’s high quality and fair f2p model could be especially successful on the Android platform. Hope that‘ll still comes to pass, had been looking forward for lots and lots of updates and a successful launch on Android would definitely increase the chances for that :)

P. S.: Last iOS update (minor big fixes) was nearly 2 months ago on July 9th

18. Mercurial

Mercurial Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2020
    Male
    No dev/publisher communication on Twitter, Reddit nor Discord. Not sure if anybody received a DM from them via Twitter or Discord. Anyway, either the Android version has been dropped or it is the worst dev/publisher communication I've ever witnessed. If I were a betting man, I'd say the game has been dropped.

19. AltsKev

AltsKev Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Male
    Developer
    Game is very good, for me one of the best dice game, i like it more than dicey dungeon in a lot of way.

Game got new features and game mode !

Ijipop and nickhoola like this.
  20. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Am I seeing monthly membership IAP to be premium or are they one-time purchase & benefit?