Universal Diablo Immortal (by Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 1, 2022.

1. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Yeah, you can't server hop with an established character. You're free to create a new one for a new server though. Good luck if you forget which server you had a character on though! You can't start the game by first selecting your character, so far as I can tell.

2. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Shaun put out a well thought out review for Diablo Immortal as he does on a daily basis. It’s quite fair, given the f2p nature of the game.

3. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #63 tops2, Jun 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    Yeah, no server hopping. More of a "sanity check" if other servers are not lagging or just your device. Just tried and even on my older 11" iPad Pro, it gets a little slow at times.

I guess I'll open up the can of worms and mention I personally haven't noticed the free 2 play mechanics as much. I guess it's constantly there, but somehow I don't notice it. I guess the base game is easy enough that I haven't felt it. I'm lev 38 with my Wizard..but not sure how far I'm nearing the endgame. For now, it's still enjoyable and I've been playing much more than expected.

4. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Much shorter than I thought it would be but, yeah, I guess what else is there to say. This is where we are with games like this and either you're in or you're out. This totally summed it up: "I feel like I’m reviewing a pack of smokes".

decript and Anotherkellydown like this.
  5. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I think it’s a great game for sure and so far at level 56 the monetisation hasn’t bothered me at all. It all looks fine and that you don’t have to have it, there are no paywalls it’s just that people can spend to progress faster but if you put the time in that can negate some of that.

I’m just happy there’s nothing that feels unfair and I don’t get the review where it said about people will spend more than they should so would feel bad recommending it. To put it bluntly if someone’s that stupid they would spend more money than they should on a game, they would have spent it elsewhere anyway so do I care? Not at all but then again I’ve never understood addicts or people worrying about things they can do nothing about but I hear it’s not as easy for everyone else to just turn that off.

For it’s free to play price and buying the battle pass I don’t feel like I’m missing out on any enjoyment at all. I have a clan that has a huge clan family on my server and I’m in a warband that was organised before the games launch and to have this on mobile? I could never have imagined that back when iPhones come out or even a few years back! Do you remember the Demon Hunter series by gameloft? This is far better than the way they went with monetisation.

Would I rather pay £60 and that’s it all in? Of course I would but sadly that’s not the world we live in and even if that were the case it likely wouldn’t get constant free updates for years to come without the constant income coming in from it.

CrayonWarrior, tops2 and houseofg like this.
  6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I agree, with the caveat that there are people who have a real problem with this kind of monetization — it’s not stupidity but a mental health issue. But the same can be true for gambling, drinking, sex, etc.: any fun, pleasurable activity can become a compulsion. Obviously, if you have a problem with free to play games, you should avoid them.

The fact is that folks who pay $40-$60 for a game have made the choice of not playing on this platform (for the most part). From my perspective, it’s truly dumb to be okay paying $60 for a port of a 5 year old game on a Switch Lite — which is essentially a 4 year old phone with a worse screen than a current iPhone — but balking at paying $10 for a similar game on mobile, especially with the great controller options available now. But people make that choice all the time, not because of the technology, but because of gaming culture. And that’s why we have this kind of monetization in Diablo Immortal. To quote Pogo: “We’ve met the enemy and he is us.”

Talbs, ste86uk and houseofg like this.
  7. gvegas66

gvegas66 Active Member

Jan 11, 2017
    anyone find the sweet spot for graphics/battery on iPhone 12 Pro Max at 60fps?

8. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #68 stubbieoz, Jun 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
    I downloaded and played this, first on my iPad and next on my pc.
    While playing on pc I felt myself having this strange desire to go back and play Diablo II Resurrected.
    I did and deleted Diablo Immoral….. sorry Immortal.

I feel clean again.

Admiral Bison and macplash like this.
  9. ivalerio90

ivalerio90 Active Member

May 27, 2014
    installed, downloaded infinite GB, created a character, started a match, killed one monster and then....deleted. F2P game make me feel like the girl you like just said "i'm sorry but we are only friends"

Admiral Bison likes this.
  10. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Got everything downloaded last night, created a Battlenet account and joined The Last Vestige as a Demon Hunter. Looking forward to trying this out for myself finally. Is anyone here in that group, or did it turn out to be overly complicated to match up with other members? My user name is MikeAKD#1532 (not sure if that matters).

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I made it in, but I haven’t chosen a “clan” or whatever they’re called.

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  12. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    no worries mate. As I said I am not trying to start a debate neither an argument. I would say this, one thing I love about this forum is the fact that tons of if not most people here supports premium games. Which kept the integrity of games being fun yet fair. I am more than happy to pay for a premium game of quality especially if the game is good and fun. Most SE games are usually price pretty high compared to others, I got no issue with that either so long no IAPs and the game is good and fun. So given that point, like you said if Diablo ask for $100 for this game that unlocks everything, I am likely more than happy to pay for it too. If I can buy D2R 4 times on all platforms (PC, Switch, Xbox Series X and PS5), There I’d no reason why I can’t pay $100 for Immortals for full unlock if that existed. Unfortunately there is no such option.

Adding on to that, just fyi you mentioned about the RMAH in D3 throw you off, it does for me too. And in case you are not aware yet. Similar system does exist in Immortals. A couple of days have gone since the release of this game. I post it here first calling it a definite pay to win after I studied the structure. But now there are a tons of article, videos and etc proving my points. As it’s current state it takes $11000 to max out a competitive character. Being free to play and to reach that state. It would take you over 10 years of play. And not to forget this game will still further expand. Which mean down the line the $$$ needed would be way more than the amount I have stated. Same goes to time. It’s really unfortunate for Diablo to turn out this way. But I can only blame on Activision and nothing else. They have ruin blizzard. The old Blizz where games made by gamers does not exist anymore. RIP Blizzard.

13. Wall Jump Games

Wall Jump Games Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    I finally got the game today and holy crap Acti Blizz have made an amazing honeymoon phase. In the Early 30s and and I am loving it.

Combat is satisfying, story is decent as far as MMOs go and World Design is great.

Too early to judge P2W, we’ll see once I get to level 60 and the game has been out a few weeks

ste86uk likes this.
  14. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    ste86uk likes this.
  15. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013

Sent you a friend request. I'm Dividedby2#1197.

Anotherkellydown likes this.
  16. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Honestly since the game come out I stopped bothering with YouTube and reviews for info on the game as I just play it myself I don’t care what others think if I’m enjoying it. I’m paragon 5 now and honestly all this p2w talk? I don’t get it, sure people can spend to be stronger quicker but am I ever going to compete to be the best player on the server? No I’m not, will it stop me enjoying the game not being the best? No it won’t.

As for the time gated progress etc I feel like that’s just to stop people zooming ahead and completing all of the game quickly. Where if your a casual or average gamer with work and a life then it’s probably never really going to affect you that much.

Who knows in time my option may change when I get further but at the moment I got the cheap battle pass and the boon of plenty and I’m happy and having fun with the game, I got those purchases to support the game and the devs. Honestly whenever I get spare time I’m itching to get back on there’s tons to do and nothing has felt like a grind to me yet.

17. Rocksaint

Rocksaint Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2013
    For a casual gamer, none of the aggressive monetisation will matter. But that goes for most F2P games. As long as you play casually.

But boy, have they stuffed a lot of currencies and unnecessary complicated game loops in it to overwhelm players. Tbh I am just blatantly ignoring some of the stuff. But then again, I still haven’t reached lvl 50 or finished the story.

But I do have alarm bells ringing. I mean do they really need to throw a bundle at us after every dungeon completion? Can’t they be just given as dungeon rewards. Endgame doesn’t seem to be built around gear but gems. And that sucks. Not just that, they have levels and stars. And they are separate. To top that, after max-leveling a gem, you get sockets. So you can add gems to gems. Gems to GEMS?! Are you kidding me. And the sockets depend on the stars of a legendary gem. So basically the key is to find 5-star legendary gems. So good luck with that.

All this is so complicated. Unnecessarily. But my main issue with the game is on an iPhone 12, with default settings it looks and runs like crap. And God forbid if I turn up the settings, the battery drains faster than you can close and relaunch the game. I know it’s not the latest phone, but when a game which has undergone extensive testing period, still forces me to purchase the latest hardware to play optimally. That’s just sad.

Oh and raids have combat rating limitation too. And I dunno how easily/quickly you can raise that rating. So endgame raids (which to me is quite important as I don’t pvp a lot) also has big alarm bells ringing for me. Because if I am restricted from entering/doing well in raids unless I spend money, then this is not a game. It’s gambling.

Due to all this, I’ve decided to significantly slow down my game time. Kinda sad and gutted that a game that I was eagerly waiting for so long, has turned out this way. But I guess it’s kinda my fault to have such expectations in today’s world. Lesson learned.

18. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    You left out a zero….. it’s actually $110,000 to max out a character, according to the videos I’ve seen.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I saw that, too. That’s ridiculous. I don’t play to max out characters, but that’s even a possibility is gross.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that changes from all the publicity. It’s definitely not a good look for them.

ste86uk and Admiral Bison like this.
  20. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    I keep thinking the same thing but then I also wonder how they couldn't have predicted this exact reaction. They either don't give a crap or are completely delusional.