Universal Diablo Immortal (by Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Jun 1, 2022.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

According to Jared’s PSA article the TouchArcade server is The Last Vestige. And make sure to link your battle net account! :)

2. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Right, but then there are "war bands" within a given server. I've not seen a TA war band mentioned, nor joined one yet.

3. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Ah… I can’t help you there. I haven’t had the time to actually play the game yet but maybe someone else can clear that up…

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I appreciate your perspective and the reasonable way you state it. Conversations about “soul” in games are tricky because, with the exception of some obvious examples, it’s all so subjective. From my perspective, if Diablo lost it’s soul, it wasn’t with Immortal but with Diablo 3 — maybe even Diablo 2. Diablo 1 in particular was one of my defining gaming experience and in many ways the ideal dungeon crawling action RPG. Diablo 2 is great, but the introduction of Dungeon Siege style maps took away one of the key defining features for me — the sheer terror — and thrill — of going down one more level in a massive, oppressive dungeon. It was also clearly designed for a multiplayer experience that I had no interest in joining. Diablo 3 fully embraced the multiplayer aspect of the game, and trading houses etc just lost me. I find the whole idea of turning a game into a “job” (which Diablo 3 pioneered before NFTs) appalling.

Diablo Immortal strikes me as a more enjoyable version of Diablo 3; maybe it’s the more contained maps and the smaller screen, maybe it’s the story. But maybe it’s also that I’ve grown more comfortable with MMO experiences and collaborative play. Just like with Ni No Kuni, this was clearly made by people who care for their craft, the gameplay, and the franchise — that’s what I would call “soul.” It’s too bad that the monetization layer is there, but the underlying game IMO is good enough for me to spend the $30-60 I would have spent on a Switch or Xbox title (many of which have ended up in my long backlog, or played for a few hours and put aside). Whether I pay up front or in “installments” doesn’t matter to me as long as I’m playing a real game and not a revenue model.

Now, I get it that for some people this is a bad system. I hate the term “whales” because it’s dehumanizing and othering. The fact is, we’re all whales in one way or another — I have full subscriptions to pretty much every streaming service out there, and I’ve spent thousands (if not tens of thousands) over the years on consoles and premium games on every platform. Heck, I even buy a new iPhone every year because, well, it’s my thing. If you are prone to spend too much money on a “free to play” game, it’s probably a good idea to stay away from them. It truly sucks for people who love the franchise and find themselves in that situation, which is why I would love it for games like Diablo Immortal to have a “lifetime” payment option (say $100) that would remove all stuff for good. But I’m not holding my breath on that one;).

TL;DR I get where you’re coming from and I respect your opinion. I just see things differently.

kopicha and houseofg like this.
  5. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Anyone have any workaround for this EU law rubbish. Whenever I make a purchase on my U.K. account it says all purchases must be verified because of EU law and then it takes me out of the app and verifies itself.

But unfortunately on this game it causes the game to have an error when you return to it which causes logout. Then when you log back there’s still no purchase until you try to purchase it again.

6. Warriv

Warriv Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 21, 2015
    Portugal
    I agree with the idea that Diablo lost its soul when d3 came out, even if I did eventually enjoy that game, I really didn’t like how the plot was presented to the player and how they changed previous lore.

Still, I went into Immortal with an open mind and just wasn’t able to play more than 10 mins. I know that’s not enough to judge a game, but I’ve been playing elden ring, which has everything that captured my imagination twenty years ago when I played Diablo, particularly D2: a strange world, vague lore that must be pieced together, vast maps filled with caves, ruins, dungeons, towers, churches and castles that all tell a story of their own, incredible gameplay with plenty of build variations, and an addictive loop.
    I understand it’s not, by and large, a fair comparison, but I just couldn’t subject myself to what immediately felt like a such highly curated experience, and I fear that, much like other free mobile arpgs, the game would inevitably leave me feeling empty inside and questioning my life choices. Or maybe not, maybe I just had a terrible first impression, or I’m being unfair to the game by mixing in my personal experience, but I know it certainly isn’t for me.

7. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I ended up playing a bit more last night and had a lot of fun. Maybe I'm accepting this game for what it is and am going to just enjoy the story mode and then be done. I was a big Diablo/Diablo 2 player. Diablo 3 never grabbed me..but I didn't try until years after and it was on sale. For D3, I only beat with a few characters, and never bother grinding for loot like for the first 2. For some reason, in Diablo Immortal, I'm actually enjoying taking the time to enjoy the story and I don't immediately make a beeline to the next quest and actually "explore" the map.

Initially, I was also put off by talks about P2W/freemium things. The initial gameplay feels just like any other generic ARPG with some of the Blizzard polish. The more I play, I like the smaller world and the quicker pick up and put down nature (vs on the PC). The difficulty feels easy/okay at the moment. I had a few random multiplayer games and were fun. My main thing now is should I push through with my Wizard, or go with my kinda starting Demon Hunter, or start over with Barbarian.. lol. The Wizard isn't quite as fun as I hoped. The game does still feel quite generic..but maybe with my long hiatus from iOS games/video games in general, its fun to occasionally play something.

8. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Speaking of picking up and putting down, has anyone figured out how you save where you stand or is that possible? I haven't found a save/quit function (just quit) and am not quite sure when it's autosaving. And, as with most of these uber-online games it will kick you off the server if you so much as look away from your phone! :p

So, I find that I'm losing a bit of progress each time I put it down, unless I'm in town I think

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    The times I’ve been kicked out of the server, I’ve lost minimal progress — and no loot or experience.

10. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I've also lost a bit of progress before too. I haven't tested extensively, but I try to touch the character portrait, then touch the "..." menu and "Leave Game". Haven't noticed lost progress this way..

houseofg likes this.
  11. Wall Jump Games

Wall Jump Games Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2020
    Male
    Looking to check this out over the weekend! Looks super fun from the trailers and gameplay I’ve seen. Definitely gonna jump into The Last Vestige!

12. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    I do this too, I go to settings and leave game which logs me out and I haven’t noticed any loss at all and today I kept nipping on for 10 minutes here and there stopping midway through quests and zones etc and it all seemed fine.

It’s cool that I can play for hours or just play for 10 minutes and feel like I made some progress and had some fun quickly where otherwise I may not have played a proper game because I’d need more time.

houseofg likes this.
  13. #Bonk3rZ

#Bonk3rZ Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    Am I the only one having serious trouble with the game performance? The first two hours or so were fine (I'm lv 25 I think), but now the game heavily lags and then crashes within a minute. I restarted my phone and the game several times and finally gave it a rest yesterday, but 12 hours later it's still the same. I'm in this main hive place right now, (sorry for wrong terms, diablo noob), and even just running around there is hardly possible, and trying to enter a rift / portal / thingy is an instacrash. And as I said, absolutely no problems at the beginning, strong 50mb wlan also shouldn't make problems. Iphone 8, latest ios.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    No problems here, but I’m on a 13 Pro. What graphic and FPS settings are you using?

15. #Bonk3rZ

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    #55 #Bonk3rZ, Jun 3, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    :eek:
    30 fps, basically everything on high. Already tuned the quality Selection from very high to high yesterday, but to no avail. Device load is low.

What sucks is that I already saw it running, while by now there's no point to even try.
    For research Ima try to tune the graphics to medium and see how that turns out.

Edit tried to use the repair client option on the starting screen, with the effect that the three donload packages I already downloaded got deleted again ... :confused:

16. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Yeah — unfortunately, repair package is essentially “replace but keep the data.” I’ve been playing on high and 60FPS, and battery consumption continues to be fine. Level 22, BTW.

17. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Been a bit addicted but with wife, daughter and work I’ve managed to reach level 49 so far with my Wizard. I always keep looking forward to grabbing more time to play even if it’s only 10 minutes.

@squarezero Maybe I should try 60fps I’m only on the 12 pro but it says on high settings the load on my phone is low and it doesn’t heat up in the slightest.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Worth a try. I find it a big improvement :).

ste86uk likes this.
  19. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Performance is a bit random on my iPhone XR. I have it loaded on my older iPad Pro but haven't tried it yet. Super smooth earlier in the day but laggy at night. If it happens, maybe try a new server for sanity check? Maybe it's the server load.

20. #Bonk3rZ

Mar 20, 2014
    top of the world
    I thought I read in this thread that server hopping isn't possible? Will try this and some other things tomorrow. To me it definitely felt like a server issue, esp after the smooth start, hence my question in here how it is for other players. I love my iphone 8, and even though I'm not really impressed so far, I'd really love to at least give this game a fair try.