iPad Devs, why do you make games?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by DHrox, Jan 23, 2009.

1. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    #1 DHrox, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
    Really. Most people say it's a waste of time. I personally say games are great.;)

Stuff like Blue Attack! and Bullet Skater must hold something that you love! What is it?

2. HouseTreeRobot

HouseTreeRobot Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Living.
    UK
    #2 HouseTreeRobot, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
    Games in general?

I like creating stuff, whatever the medium. Games just happen to be something where you can get quite creative with the tools given to you (a screen) and seeing as it's a quick results medium (not like a movie where you have to sit down and pay attention) most people are keen to see what it does...

I kinda mean, it's quick to get a reaction, and a good reaction boosts the ego :)

edit: oh and it doesn't take long to create stuff. You can throw up tetris in 20 minutes, but it takes ages to make a decent short movie. You can get away with crappy (read: coded cubes or dots) graphics in games, but not really with paintings, movies, sculptures etc.

3. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    I understand precisely what you mean. I think up cool new stuff but I don't have the programming talent to even remotely create something.:rolleyes:
    Often times they'd be the most kick-butt stuff.

4. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Money. And the games that devs create are probably things that they would like to play and decide to share it with the world.

5. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Exactly. a lot of the time it's for fun, and they hope they can make some money and make some people happy with their game. Or, that's the case for a lot of small devs, at least

6. HouseTreeRobot

HouseTreeRobot Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Living.
    UK
    Oh yeah money too. If we don't make enough to pay the bills it's back to working on some uninspired lisence title for someone in a suit.

7. shannonkay

shannonkay Member

Jan 9, 2009
    I hear that. It's, like, the American dream to make a living doing something you love.

8. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Yeah. BTW, whoever got rid of the Hexile post, thanks. I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. I'm still kinda new.

9. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

It's a job with great hours, no heavy lifting and we get to count everything we play, watch or read as R&D :)

It's also the only job I can pass the psych tests for.

10. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    lol. Rofl.

11. eeenmachine

eeenmachine Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Independent Game Developer
    San Diego, CA
    I like making people happy. If I can do it for a living it makes me happy :)

12. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Now that's an idea I hear a lot from the military. In rotc.

13. VeiledGames

VeiledGames Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Minneapolis, MN
    My biggest drive is the thought of knowing that people are out there, enjoying something you made. I must have read and re-read the first review for our first game a million times.. I just couldn't get used to some stranger, out in the world, enjoying the results of my work... 15,000 happy customers later, and I'm still shell shocked by the idea! It really tickles me pink, to know that many strangers have had a good time because of me and the rest of my company :)

14. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    That's the cool thing about this stuff is that random people will enjoy your work. It feels darn rewarding!:D

15. hrgpac

hrgpac Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    App Developer
    Mexico, Mexico
    Well, when you get lucky of course....:p

16. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    Huh, money is hard to get these days when the indie companies are trying to fight the hyped-up games and the big name companies.

17. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2008
    For me, it's all about being able to craft your own universe for people to play in. Making a utility app, filled with standard controls and lists, makes me want to fall asleep just talking talking about it.

18. jasonf

jasonf Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Pretty much right on.. it's easy to work on something you enjoy. For example, I played Theseus 10 years ago and loved it, so it immediately came to mind when I was thinking about games to make for the iPhone.

19. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    FOR THE CHICKS of course..

Honestly I assume you make them for money. Some people are making things for experience so they can get hired by some other companies. Don't think that the bigger companies are not pulling people out of the independent crowds to work on new projects!

20. DHrox

DHrox Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    College Student
    Baltimore, MD
    What kinds of universes do you like to explore? Don't say FBGirls. Please don't. I'll never sleep again after seeing that game.