DEVS, what are YOU playing?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Anders, Mar 25, 2009.

1. QuantumSquid

QuantumSquid Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    Game Developer
    USA
    I am posting under our main dev account, but currently I am playing Dungeon Hunter. I would say that I have played this game the most of any game on my iPhone so far.

I even found myself wanting to go back and play it for 20-30 mins even before the "forge fix" update was released. It was just relaxing (and enjoyable) to burn through an area a few more times for XP and loot. Yes, it's a pretty easy game, but the entertainment value is quite high (this from someone who has max level chars on all of the major MMORPGs since Ultima Online).

Previously the game holding the most time was Defender Chronicles. This is a very fun game as well, and IMO, underated...

2. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    I still like arkanoid on classic mode, but haven't had time to play. in testing mode now...

3. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Perhaps the devs are too busy playing their own game maybe?
    Or at least they should be ;).

4. IUGOME

IUGOME Well-Known Member

Harbor Master is teh crack. I can't stop playing that.

Boxed in has been fun too.

And honestly, I still go back to ZA! That game will always have a place in my heart...

5. PocketMonkey

PocketMonkey Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    +1 to Dungeon Hunter and Defender Chronicles

6. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I mostly play and playtest my own stuff - both released and unreleased. I do pick up the occasional title that piques my interest (Hero of Sparta, Sally's Spa, Lion's Pride), but generally I let me 4 year old son do the appstore shopping.

My unreleased stuff includes a mix of not-yet-released and will-never-be-released projects such as (in no particular order):

- a port of BerzerkerBots (an FPS) that I did last October as one of my first dabblings in iphone development

- a multi-arcade emulator

- a top-down tank game

- Cathy's Coins, featuring coin-themed mini games

- Diver Dan (port)

- World to Conquer Touch, a turn-based fantasy themed combat game (being wrapped up now)

- Pocket Boxer (being wrapped up now)

As for my own stuff that I find myself returning to a lot, I quite enjoy Karate Fighter (Kung Fu Master inspired retro remake), Card Shark Solitaire, and Xiangqi

7. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

PathPix was my favorite for a long time (well, as long as there were levels to complete).

I've also bought and played pretty much every TD on the iPhone, but 7 Cities, GeoDefense and GeoDefense Swarm have been the only ones to provide great challenge with good difficulty ramping. Defender Chronicles degenerated into grinding.

It is funny to note how much the iPhone has stolen my attention from traditional console gaming. I turn the PS3 on quite rarely these days (and the Wii has gathered dust for almost a year now). Still anxiously waiting for Brütal Legend, though!

8. spacecowgoesmoo

spacecowgoesmoo Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Composer / Level Designer @ Bovinedragon Software
    Los Angeles, USA
    I usually try to only have a few games going at once because I'm obsessive and like to 'beat' games; right now I'm playing Space Ninja, Tap Quest, DDR S, and Elder Scrolls 1 on OSX DOSBOX. Whoever it was who posted here a while back mentioning that it was freeware now, thank you! I'm also playing Eliss, but that doesn't count because I have no chance of ever finishing it :p

A few that I've finished recently and moved on from were Toy Bot Chronicles (never got them separately because I figured they would make a compilation), geoDefense Swarm, PathPix, and The Quest - IoIF (Waiting for the next update to get HoL...)

9. qwiboo

qwiboo Well-Known Member

Not much time to play, but I loved EDGE when it came out. Last game I played was iBlast Moki.

Besides that I spent all my "playing" time testing new levels in Aqua Globs :)

10. indigo8

indigo8 Well-Known Member

Games Devs Play

Don't have a lot of time to play games - *not* exaggerating.. Lately played KIL.A.TON a bit - enjoy that. I'd like to play Dungeon Hunter, but I'm really going to have to delete a lot of music to play the 220+MB game - no space right now. What I'd really like to do, once we finish off our current project (The Relic), is get back to Fable II on the 360. Haven't played much on the 360 in ages. Except Beatles Rock Band. :D Actually, I have a fair number of iPhone RPGs I need to get back into too..

11. Anders

Anders Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    Co-owner and CTO at Color Monkey
    Sweden
    God to see someone woke this thread up again ;)

In my initial post I said I played geoDefense a lot. That still holds true, as David added more levels not long ago, plus the new geoDefense Swarm kept me occupied a bit lately too, only one level left!

12. I keep coming back to Soosiz and Jet Car Stunts. Both tremendous games. Been playing some Prince of Persia Retro too, for old time's sake.