Devs leaving themselves glowing reviews on iTunes.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by GatorDeb, May 13, 2009.

1. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    #1 GatorDeb, May 13, 2009
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
    I got a promo code (don't want to bring up which game into the discussion) and after I redeemed the code I started reading the reviews and I noticed the dev left themselves a five-star review (without mentioning they were the dev, of course). If I had read the reviews before getting the code I would not have taken it. I contacted the dev about it and they tried to justify it by bringing up how hard being a dev is.

I am not about to leave a review that says "This game suxxorz" just because of that review. If I review the game, the review will reflect the game, not the dev.

However I was thinking of leaving a note after the review that pointed out who the dev is and that they left themselves a review.

What would you do?

2. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

May 2, 2009
    I think everyone else in the world but you already assumed that everyone would leave positive reviews on their own products. Why wouldn't they? Popular games get tens of thousands of reviews so it would be a drop in the bucket anyway. If the game has so few reviews that one review makes a big difference, then something's wrong anyway.

Also, your story is a bit hard to follow. How did you know that it was the developer who left the review? Why do you care so much? etc.

3. DevL

DevL Active Member

Unfortunately it's a very common thing, but at the same time without the ability to wow or BS the public like some larger publishers do, the easiest way to create awareness & interest in the app is with reviews.
    There are times that it's abused - a recent one i've noticed was for Balloon Headed Boy. Lots of 5 star reviews within hours of the release, all the 'reviewers' had no other reviews...how likely is it that was the only app they've ever bought? Some do try and disguise the fact by reviewing other apps, but usually they're free/lite versions.

4. Babybandit

Babybandit New Member

May 10, 2009
    It's definitely something common, I mean, the Devs are only trying to get themselves noticed. At least they aren't creating stock accounts just to vote 5 stars!

5. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I know it was them because 1. the review name is the same as the one in their contact with me and 2. they verified it when I asked them about it.

I would never assume devs do this. It's wrong no matter how you look at it and if I wrote an app I would never leave myself a review even if it never sold a copy and even if no one else ever reviewed it.

I care because I was given a promo code in exchange for areview but I have a hard time leaving a revie without mentioning the bogus review.

6. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    We just had our provincial election today (well, technically yesterday.) The candidates get a vote just like anyone else. Their friends are allowed to vote, too. I would imagine most of them vote for themselves. I would be more concerned to learn of a politician who doesn't support his or her own policies, come to think of it. I would look at this in the same way. I have no qualms about a dev endorsing his or her own product. I actually find it more frustrating to see one star reviews with comments like; "best game eva!" Idiots.

7. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    The devs have a space to leave their own endorsement - the game description space. The review space should be for game users, not for the developer of the game being reviewed.

8. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    All I'm saying is; maybe they are fans of their own work. The description is to tell you about the game. The review section is to let you know if they enjoy the game. In this case, they do. You can disagree all you want. You asked and I answered: that's my opinion, that's all. :)

You're up late, Deb. Everything alright?

9. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I work overnight :) I'm at work right now.

10. starjimstar

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Oh, I used to do the graveyard thing. One of my first jobs was as a donut baker. I am somewhat of a night owl and it suited me well.

11. Phi6

Phi6 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
  12. organerito

organerito Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I don't think people care about "shill". I remember some teachers at school asked me what note I would give myself. I have had to write critics of my own recitals. I have been very hard on me, but I like what I do the way I do it. It would be fake humbleness if I didn't say that I am happy with what I do. So, what is the problem with giving yourself some encouragement and perhaps getting some money, decently earned?Furthermore, we don't know anything about many devs and their economic situation or their needs.

13. Benegesserit

Benegesserit Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I love the contradictory description of what's legal and not legal for shills in that link. It's ok to lie to the audience about having a planted person on stage claiming they are "random"? Lots of "hypnotists" will pull crap like this and then use these lies to shovel out their books or videos. That's legal but one review out of hundreds isn't? Someone said it well before, if there aren't a lot of reviews on a product that speaks enough for you.

14. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    3D & Architectural Artist
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    #14 sjleworthy, May 13, 2009
    i always 'rate' my own products (anonymously) online most favourably. in business you need all the help you can muster. and besides, what's 1 positive vote out of so many? and who cares? positive marketing is as good as it gets.

i bet it's quite common practise to have devs getting members of family and freinds all giving good reviews of the product even if it isn't.

A)who cares?
    B)it's not really detectable if anyone can be bothered
    C)the quality of the product will generally speak for itself good or crap anyway

15. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Of course it is, friends and family serve as your first references on your resume when you enter the job world usually! I don't really see the issue with this, if the game sucks it should be amazingly obvious after you get past the first few glowing reviews.

It also seems to me that developers and developers' friends leaving positive feedback on the App Store is no worse than how most of them handle giving out promo codes around here. More often than not the "PM me for a promo code and promise you'll leave a good review!" system just creates an immense amount of shill reviews.

The best example of this is the Don't Be a Fatty! game. When the developer was actively promoting his game he'd push a new update to iTunes that did nothing every other day to have 50 fresh promo codes to give away in exchange for positive reviews. Thanks to shills from Touch Arcade leaving 5 star "GREATEST GAME EVER!" posts, Don't Be a Fatty! had a solid 5 star rating and I can only imagine the number of people mislead in to buying it or thinking it was good.

I hope some day Apple revises its review system to allow you to either filter based on who actually purchased the app, or better yet, just not allow people who got promo codes to post a review.

16. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    If I were you, Gatordeb, I would feel that I have wasted my time. Since these devs are posting their own "rave" reviews, why do they need anyone else? Might as well ask their friends or whatever, have a few more "friendly" accounts post praises about their app instead of wasting a stranger's time? So if I were you, I wouldn't bother leaving them any review or give them any feedback at all.

17. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    #17 DaveMc99, May 13, 2009
    Every owner of a game can leave a review.. that includes the developer.. I am surprised with 50 free promo codes how many games do not have more than 10 reviews after a few weeks.. When there are under 20 iTunes reviews it is more a gauge of bad marketing and how unpopular a game is than anything else.

18. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    *COUGH, Vir2l Base Jumping, COUGH COUGH* :mad: