Universal Devouring Stars (by Bulkypix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Dec 9, 2015.

1. nerial

nerial Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2014
    London
    Great, I will put a new build online during the week.
    Thanks a lot!

2. cymsdale

cymsdale Member

Nov 2, 2013
    You have a typo in the game. It is spelled l-o-s-e, not double o.

3. nerial

nerial Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2014
    London
    @cymsdale
    Thanks. It will be corrected in the January update!

@all
    Testflight ready to go! If other people than @NullZone and @Havelcek are struggling with the merge/divide, I have a couple of available seats, so feel free to DM me with an email for the Testflight.

So in that build, I added two ways to merge and divide units (on top of the actual one, which still exists).
    1. Select one unit, then tap the "divide" or "merge" button on the unit dialog (under the icon). If you tapped the merge icon, the available entities to merge with will be indicated. Tap the one you want to merge with (tap anywhere else to cancel). The icons are not available when you can't perform the action or the unit is not able to do it.
    2. Select one unit, then tap again and keep your finger on it for 0.5sec to divide it. Touch another unit for 0.5sec to merge with it.
    Also, I slightly changed the zoom on iPad. Not much, because I don't want the cam to go nuts, but it should be bigger when you select one unit. I tested this on an iPad Air 2 and a 5C.

Play with that, and tell me how it feels. There may be some bugs, but it should be smooth enough.

After putting a lot of thought into that, I tend to prefer the first solution (thanks for the suggestion :) ), but would love to have your feedbacks. The 1st solution has a couple of very important advantages :
    - It's a solid alternative for people struggling with the pinch/enlarge, while keeping that core mechanic available. And I want to keep it, for a very simple reason : it's an "obvious" behavior to try to bring the entities together to merge them, and to "stretch" an entity to divide in its component. It has a very nice physicality to it.
    - No words needed. The icons are small but easy to pick-up when you discover this for the first time. I made Devouring Stars for people who like to explore games and (relatively) cryptic systems, it just adds to the fun :eek:.

4. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Nerial:
    Thanks for adding the buttons so quickly!
    The buttons do work. I only tested on the first stage though, and not with all possible combinations. As I expect that they all share the button code, things should be ok.

Only downside:
    The buttons are TINY on an Air1, I guess 2-3mm high and 6-7mm wide. At first, I didn't notice them at all and kept looking :p
    Even with the small size and my large fingers, they do work perfectly fine though.
    But I'd still suggest to make them a lot bigger.
    There is enough space on the "frame" with the unit info to make them larger. Alternatively, you could put them in the topright corner, to the left of the Pause and Skilltree buttons.

Have to try #2 (hold for .5s) again, I couldn't make it work yet.

Zoom seems a little bit bigger/closer, which is also good.

5. nerial

nerial Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2014
    London
    Thanks!

It seems the "0.5 hold on unit" is really not working for anyone, I will stick to the buttons I think. They're a sturdy fallback solution.

I will definitely make them bigger, thanks. They will need to be inside the dialog box because they're related to a specific entity (not to the whole game like the pause and reference menus).

I'm still waiting for the review on the first update, I will add the next one just after that.

cheers!

6. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    I really like the way the button solution is working - its intuitive and responsive.

7. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #67 Nullzone, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    Played again a bit yesterday. The fuse/split buttons are indeed a lot better than the pinch/zoom; thanks a lot for implementing them, nerial!

And I found the Fire Shore bonus stage ;) How many were there in total again, 6 I think?
    Navigating to the Shore was a huge pain though, took a dozen tries or so until I managed to stop the map in the right spot. Still wishing for a classic flat map... (yes, I remember that you wrote it won't work, but still :) )

Attached Files:

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #68 Nullzone, Jan 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
    And I found and completed the second bonus stage, Water this time ;)

Also, I tried to find the Erynies, but still no luck after maybe an hour of navigating Nowhere space.
    @nerial: Would you mind giving me a hint or two?

Update: I think I found them ;) But now I don't know how to find the one you need to follow reliably. Could need a hint about it instead. Not to mention actually understand who/what it is.

9. nerial

nerial Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2014
    London
    Hi there!

To found the Erynies, you need to follow Eurestis. Eurestis appears randomly in certain levels (opposition and unbalanced ones) after the 2nd or the 3rd run. He will spawn close to your group of units and will start to go in the void.

You won't find him just by going in the void (if you played Monkey Island, it's the same idea as the merchant you have to follow to the Queen of swords).

enjoy!

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks, nerial! Yes, Eurestis is who I was talking about. Didn't want to spoiler too much, so I tried to be cryptic ;)
    Would really like to learn more about all the entities' backstories. Any chance you have something planned?

Another question, then, if you don't mind:
    Wasn't there an Earth Shore as well? I only saw it once or twice on the map. And last time I tried I couldn't find it at all. And if it exists, does it also have an extra stage?

11. nerial

nerial Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2014
    London
    Hi!

Maybe I'll go back to Devouring Stars at some point. But not in the near future, I will need a bigger team next time, to make sure I can handle the whole project (it was a big bit to chew :). I have another really exciting project on the go.

There are only two secret levels related to the places on the map. The other ones won't trigger anything.

12. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Thanks for the info on the secret levels, nerial!
    No worries about not returning to Devouring Stars, you gave us a great experience with the game as it is. I only wish that you'll create an add-on/sequel sometime down the road, where all the weirdness and open questions get answered ;)

Please keep us in the loop about your new project. At least in me, you have someone who'll follow your development for sure. When you get around to needing testers, you know where to find us :)

13. nerial

nerial Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2014
    London
    Hey !

Just a quick word to tell you I'm releasing a new game soon! It's called Reigns and it's a game where you play a King taking decisions with a simple interaction (swipe right for yes, left for no). A bit like Tinder but with very different consequences.

It's published by the good folks of Devolver, with art by Mieko Murakami and music/sound direction by Disasterpeace and some friends.

http://reigns.game

[​IMG]

14. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    A very cool concept. Looking forward to it!