Universal Devouring Stars (by Bulkypix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Eli, Dec 9, 2015.

1. nerial

nerial Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2014
    London
    @Nullzone
    Great. You shouldn't have to wait too long, it's really about the split second between the fight and the portal activation.

@Grail

Haha, so this is probably some sort of spoiler...
    you probably accidentally escaped a regular level. In Devouring Stars, levels have no boundaries (why would they had one :), so you can escape a level by going in a direction, outside the starfield, as far as you can. Your unit will "disappear", opening a "middle of nowhere level". It's useful if things get too messy for you in a level.

The counterpoint is that only one unit will "escape" like that. And it will appear in a level that has a good chance to be empty. In that case there's only one thing to do : carry on your exploration, go as far as you can, you will "escape" again, until... No that's too much spoiler :).

And yes it's the base of one of the secret levels.

2. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Nice find, Grail. And thanks for the hints, Nerial. Now of course I'll have to try that at some point ;)

Which reminds me:
    Multiple saves, any chance you can add those? Ideally so that you can also save manually into a new slot before/after a stage.

3. Grail

Grail Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Thanks for the reply. That's weird as it activated for seemingly a very different reason for me though now I will definitely have to explore it more :)

4. dukat111

dukat111 Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2010
    #44 dukat111, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    Can someone explain the game progression, i'm not getting it.

You rotate the map, stop, get 4 mission choices.
    If you rotate the map before completing all 4, there is a reset, I'm not clear what is gained by doing this.

If you complete all 4 missions, you can then rotate your map without loosing any of your units?

When do you get new units.. only upon completing all 4 missions? (Sometimes I get new units, sometimes I don't, appears random).

Does the mission type make any difference on your progression?

Thanks for the clarity!

5. nerial

nerial Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2014
    London
    #45 nerial, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    @Nullzone
    I would like to keep the permadeath of your units. It's a bit punishing, but it's also a good pressure, and a nice way to push the player towards "trying new combinations". That's why it's relatively easy to rebuild an army from scratch, that's why you can change destiny easily.

@dukat111
    The progression in the game is linked to the size of your army when you start a run (a set of levels, like the 4 you mentioned). When you finish a run successfully (beat all the levels), you will unlock a new slot and the game will go forward : the levels will be more difficult, you will gain new "seeds" (basic entities to build advanced ones) and you will keep the units you created. This progression is also how you access the hidden levels. Only one is available at start (after the first run), then the others will appear. The game "ends" (sort of :) ) when you unlocked all the slots.

6. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    The game's recipe is pretty good as it stands. Hope u don't mix up the families. Loving this game.

7. nerial

nerial Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2014
    London
    Thanks!

Glad to receive good feedbacks here. It helps!

Got a lot of 1 star review because the game doesn't work on older devices. If it's the case of someone here, Im sorry about that, I would never have thought that you could run iOS 8 on an iPad2. My bad .

The good news is that I managed to optimize the game for these devices .It won't be as smooth or as pretty as metal devices, but I'm confident it will work. I managed to run Devouring Stars on my iPhone 4! (Not even 4S) . It's slow, but it doesn't crash .Hopefully the update will be around on Tuesday.

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Don't worry about that ;)
    Even if you put it in the description in big bold blinking letters, people will just ignore that and try to run it on an iPhone1 anyways. And then of course complain that it doesn't work :p

On an unrelated note:
    Did anyone find a secret stage yet? I only got the one Nerial hinted at; which might even lead to at least 2 different ones, I'm not sure on that yet.

Also, I could not figure out yet how to reach any of the Regions (labeled "Shore" etc.), as far as I can tell.
    If anyone knows more already, please share.

9. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Ok let's say I'm in a battle, a couple guys did, is there a way to create more without losing and starting over ? When enemy's take the portal star they create new guys it looks like and when I take it I just portal out and the level is done

10. nerial

nerial Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2014
    London
    @Nullzone
    So you met Eurestis and the furies?

@esty8nine
    Nope, there's no way for you to "create" basic units, except at the start of a run of levels. You try to escape and the enemies try to stop you basically. You have to win the complete run with the crew you select. As you advance in the game, the run will be longer and longer...
    Later on, some level will let you discover allies, but they're quite rare generally.

11. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Not sure if I was at a secret level. I think it said shore. Completed all missions on a map with a blinking changing black last icon. It took me to a private hell. It made me dance then put me in a battle that my atios had like 1200 star power and the enemy was decimated and I was given a new power. I stopped to break after that. Has anyone else seen this?

12. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Congrats with the launch of your game. I'm an original galcon fan but u think they went freemium on the second version maybe? I downloaded eufloria since I had it but never got to play it. I'm a bit more of a turn based gamer but this one intrugues me a bit... I'll check out Youtube and follow the comments here as I'm an older gamer who doesn't have much time to play games much anymore!

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I think so. At least I encountered Furies in what seems to be a special stage twice.
    One was in "nowhere space", the other on the regular map.
    And I encountered someone else in "no space", too.
    Unfortunately I couldn't find my way back to any of them yet.

And I think I completed the game. Got what seemed to be an end sequence (nice one, by the way ;) ), then the game started again from the beginning. More questions than answers, now. Which shows your Dan Simmons inspiration a lot ;)

@esty8nine:
    Don't worry about the way the units work. I had to restart a Chapter once or twice, when I made huge mistakes and lost a lot of units; or when my kid distracted me, leading to a wipeout. Which is one reason why I want multiple saves, by the way.
    I'm certainly not the best player ever, and found it challenging but doable overall.

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Haven't seen that yet, sounds interesting.
    @Nerial: this is a perfect example where the unusual map system is a hindrance. How's Hand supposed to give others directions to that stage?

15. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    Honestly, this merge/zoom interface is awful. I'm on an iPad Air 2 and it simply doesn't work. The auto-zoom doesn't move in close enough to do anything useful and I can't get two units to merge unless its extremely lucky. Please be clear if you're going to be changing this so I know if I should refund or not.

16. nerial

nerial Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2014
    London
    #56 nerial, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    @Nullzone
    Well, you could give directions to that one, I think H4nd0fg0d found it by chance. Here's the spoiler!
    After you met the eye (end of first run), the text at the start of the run says "No lungs have you to breathe...". The solution to that riddle is "Fire". If you center your view on the Fire shore, you will automatically be "sent" to a special set of levels including the blinking glitchy icon.

@Havelcek
    I can't tell you I will change that until I'm sure I got a better alternative. I will test something where you would have to select an unit, then touch the one you want to merge with for 1,5 sec to achieve the merge. I still don't know if it won't mess with other actions (notably attracting stars from another unit) so I can't guarantee I will do it. Please feel free to refund if it's not ok for you. I really prefer that than unhappy players.
    I have the game on an iPad Air2 myself, and so far the people I playtest the game with didn't had much problem with that.
    Did you try to simply touch the two units you want to merge? (instead of the pinch) Normally the system is sensitive enough to accept that.
    I will fine tune the zoom a bit considering the feedbacks here. There are two different zoom, one for iPhone and one for iPad. The one on iPad stays a bit too far.
    Do you have an iPhone? If so, could you try the game on that and tell me how it feels for you (the zoom and the merging) compared to iPad?
    Thanks.

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #57 Nullzone, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    @Nerial:
    That's a riddle? I thought it's strange but interesting cryptic flavour text ;)

About the controls:
    Don't know what people you are testing with, but as I wrote earlier the current pinch mechanic is a huge pain. Even more so when you have large hands. Often I cannot make it work without moving the units rather far apart, because my fingers meet before the pinch registers when they are close (I do that with thumb and forefinger).

Why not keep the current one in, and add merge and split buttons to the pause menu as first try?

18. nerial

nerial Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2014
    London
    I will try a couple of things next week, your suggestion included. Would you be ok to testflight the changes?
    To include that in an update, it will probably be in January as the store closes soon (and the optimization update is already in review).

Yes, it was a riddle! There are 4 hidden levels in the game, two unlocked this way.

19. Havelcek

Havelcek Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 30, 2013
    I will absolutely testflight a build if you'd like....I really like the game other than the pinch mechanic.

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    @Nerial:
    Sure, count me in on Testflight. Will send you a PM with my email.