Universal Devils & Demons - (by HandyGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 27, 2014.

1. HG VAMPIRE

HG VAMPIRE Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Thanks great to hear. I am already working on the 5th character. I already have the priest. Currently LVL21 and you?

2. Robulous

Robulous Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Great game! It plays nothing like Diablo, but I still get the Diablo vibe, even though it's turn-based and you control a party. Plays more like Wesnoth, but with no troop creation/management.

Already disabled ads and I'll probably end up throwing more money at the devs.

3. Robulous

Robulous Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    It saves at the beginning of each turn automatically. If you exit the app, you'll pick up at that turn when you come back.

4. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    #44 Artfoundry, Dec 10, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2014
    Wow, so I did a few of the free offer wall deals to get some much needed gold, as the farther you get in the game, the amount you need to spend on skill upgrades increases dramatically. And then the game crashed when I tapped on the party view button to go to improve the skills. Now my monk is reset to level 1 with no skills, and I've lost access to the other two characters. Yet the map and quests haven't reset, so I have no way of getting them back! My game is completely hosed.

I also paid to remove the ads, and while it definitely leads to a better playing experience, it left a bad taste in my mouth because the ads were SO pervasive. It felt like an underhanded move by the devs to get you to pay. And now with this crash, I'm seriously tempted to ask Apple for my money back.

5. HG VAMPIRE

Jul 11, 2013
    please contact [email protected] this bug is unknown to us.

6. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Ok, email sent, thanks.

7. xerfilstyx

xerfilstyx New Member

Dec 25, 2014
    Awesome Tactical RPG

At first glance: solid hex-based, tactical & classical rpg that reminds me of "The Battle for Wesnoth" - but with better graphics and game mechanisms.

What I was impressed with: Random events and translation quality. Artworks are impressive.

Things that I should mention:

1. BUG. Especially crash in "Karlahan Quest" - when clicking book or something to proceed, undeads are summoned and that's it. UI isn't changed to combat stance. (under ios 8.1 and d&d 1.01)

2. Difficulty parameters. Some random (side) quests are not corresponded with that skull(s) rating :) i.e. 1 skull = Succubi + awawaw fatty demons (I didn't remember that names sorry). and 3 skulls = pathetic 11 undeads.

3. Adding challenge mode. I know some quest(especially rescuing folks quests) can be rewarded more when finishing it completely, but more is better :) Implementing "combat in x turns" feature or making combat stage with 4-5 skull(s) rating can be an approach.

In brief, great for sb those who like old-style rpg.

8. HG VAMPIRE

Jul 11, 2013
    Thanks xerfilstyx - we updated the game already and the Topics you mentioned are fixed now. We are already working on a huge content update as well. Apple featured us today :)

9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Just wanted to compliment you on continuing to work on this game. Games like these are rare on the appstore.

Any chance you guys removing the "load" screen every time you end a turn like many others have mentioned? The game would move smoother without it.

10. HG VAMPIRE

Jul 11, 2013
    We require the "Load Screen" as the AI takes the time to move. We try our best to make it as fast as possible. We are happy about every 5* Rating for the game. :D

11. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    "Fantasy meets strategy"?!?

What'll they think of next?

12. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I am really enjoying this game so far. I finally unlocked the girl fire mage.
    Now I need to decide who I will drop from my party to use her.

One suggestion, after killing all enemies on screen ,make sure your heroes
    speak in keeping with what has just transpired. Many times , I killed all the
    enemies and then searched for gold, chests etc. Sometimes, while moving
    my heroes , they will say things like, "Enemy in sight" , when none are around.

Thanks

13. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    #53 Moocow, Jan 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
    Pretty good game, your staple turn based game like fire emblem except without the equipment or stats. Though it still needs some polish:
    - Unit movement should really have some animation. I mean the graphics are really good and most attacks are animated so you're definite not going for the minimalistic/retro look, why is unit movement not animated? It would look so much smoother. Right now they look like chess pieces being dragged across a board
    - Enemies and NPCs should have different colour HP bars to easily distinguish them. Right now players, enemies and NPCs are all red
    - Interactible environment that drops money should be highlighted or glowing. Exploring every tile simply doesn't work in a turn based game because every time you move to a spot you gotta wait another turn
    - Why is it that if a friendly unit is occupying a tile, other units have to walk around him/her and can't simply pass through? This doesn't make any sense, units are not tanks that completely block a path? This is highly annoying and unnecessary for those indoor levels. I understand you can't walk through enemies cause they won't let you but friendly units can't move their butt a few inches to let you pass through?
    - I'm not sure if encounters are randomly generated or what because I just played one that is impossible to complete. You have to protect a shrine surrounded by enemy units. The shrine gets destroyed within 3 turns and you're 2 turns away from even reaching the enemies. Unless there's some teleport spell + massive AoE one-hit KO spell I'm not aware of I don't see how it's possible to complete this??

Edit: it seems that the game has become impossible to advance now. Even the random encounters are all becoming impossible since enemies pretty much one-hit KO my characters. I don't know what kind of "strategy" can be used if they wipe out half my party ON THE FIRST TURN?? How in the world do you level up if all the random encounters are like this? This is not challenging, it's just plain cheap and annoying how enemies are all 10x stronger than you. My characters barely scratch a minion's hp (takes 8-10 hits to bring down one enemy) even if using holy attacks (which seems to be the only element that you get? I mean I've reached rank 15 and played for hours now and still no idea where the other elements are), while enemies can wipe out a character in two hits that causes AoE sleep/stun, and they can all attack twice in one turn.... yeah what a load of bullsh*t.
    Pay-to-win scheme pretty much, forcing you to buy gold in order to keep resurrecting your characters.
    /deleted

14. HG VAMPIRE

Jul 11, 2013
    you need to level up your characters Moocow very soon. Get more Healthpoints very fast one trick I did was to boost the healing potions very soon so they give you more HPs per unit. I was grinding mid of the game quite a bit. dont play kamikaze the units get stronger if you level goes up as well. I finished the main story and I am at LVL28 I know an update is coming as well! First pictures were shown on www.facebook.com/handygames already. I saw a Yeti, Bears, etc

15. HG VAMPIRE

Jul 11, 2013
    "enemy insight" should only come when your character really see one or when they see a NPC like in the City. But I reported it to the team!

16. kyho78

kyho78 Member

Feb 16, 2015
    #56 kyho78, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
    What's your team loadout (5 heroes in a team) & Fire mage

My favorite is :
    Northman
    Templar
    Priest
    Alchemist
    Fire Mage or Demon Hunter

Northman & Templar are good tanks.
    Northman is good due to its Taunt ability if you upgrade it to 2 squares. There is a good synergy with Taunt and Templar's WarCry

Templar is good thanks to shield bash and warcry. I dont use Witchburner that much. Does it work properly? How come enemies can still use special ability? I cant see how much mana the enemy has left. I wish Templar had the taunt ability, especially it says "Do you need a tank?".

Priest cannot be missed. Divine Rays is good healing and offense. It is the only hero that can Cleanse. Divine Speech is just too useful.

Alchemist - the AOE healing is useful. Im not sure about whether Acid Bomb deals enough damage though. However the ability of Sleeping Gas to put a group to sleep makes Alchemist a winner!

Choosing between Demon Hunter and Fire mage - Demon hunter would win due to versatility. Holy Bolt can be used to any enemy. Rain of Bolts and Poison Bolt I dont use much. Rain of Bolts if upgraded to 2 squares is useful though.

Fire Mage? Great if enemy doesnt have resistance against fire. However later enemies - most demons and hellgate have. It's a pity as it has great AOE and damage. However focusing on fire - bad design decision perhaps? I would prefer an Ice based mage then.

Monk and Thief are just meh. Monk is a lesser tank compared to Northman and Templar. Plus side it can heal.
    Thief is good with its long range attack. But its other abilities are lackluster.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Quick question: are the ads removed with a gold purchase (say, 35,000 for $4.99), or do you need to pay to remove the ads separately.

I'm actually very impressed by the game.

18. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Plays quite nicely, first impression is pretty good.
    Well-done combat; graphics are okay, with nice details here and there (like the burning buildings). Already bought the ad-remover and I'm pretty sure I'll get the boosts as well.
    What I don't like is the healing timer for your party. Was that really necessary? Would be better without it, and allow for smoother game flow.

Also, if the dev reads this:
    Could you add an option to deactivate the combat hints for "tap an enemy to select a target, tap again to use it" ? They are okay for the Tutorial, but after that I know what to do and find them pretty annoying.

19. !nsomn!ac

!nsomn!ac Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Adds in a game... What is this 2005?

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #60 Nullzone, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    What rank were you folks when you completed Henleigh's Hope (where you get the Priest) ?
    I got my butt handed several times already on ranks below 17.
    Then I seriously upgraded my 3 people (Monk 13, Demonhunter 10, Thief 13) and will give it another try today.

Feels a bit weird, that you cannot complete the next story stage without powering up quite a lot first.

UPDATE: This time Henleigh's Hope was a breeze, I am making very good progress following the priest on his quest to kill the necromancer.