Universal Devil's Attorney (by 1337 Game Design) [TA GotY 2012 Honorable Mention]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 10, 2012.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    And that's interesting because I didn't really look at this because I thought it was like Phoenix Wright and others in that vein (games I never have been able to get into).

But after reading some reviews on this, I decided to check out this thread. As soon as I get some space on my device, I'll be picking this up. Just not enough room at the moment, but it really sounds like something I'd enjoy.

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    As long as you have the accessory, you receive the bonus it gives. But i only have 1 acc as well, which made me wonder how many we could get in a playthrough. Maybe the other accessories can be acquired through the hard difficulty.

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I just might have to choose this as my GOTW...surprisingly. I can't put it down. Just one case after the other. So addictive.

4. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    I got topia also which is an amazing sandbox game but I agree this is my choice for GOTW. It's a blast.

5. Edgop

Edgop New Member

Sep 5, 2012
    The humor was enough for me to give it a 5/5. Games for me are supposed to be relaxing and gets your mind off work and this game just did that for me :) Had a solid laugh and now I'm starting at the hard difficulty!

I do admit that the rpg turn-base battles are rather simplistic but for a 2.99 game, it's already a bang. The dev should add updates or another series soon or the momentum will die out.

6. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I have started to enjoy this a bit more now that I know what to expect, I still think it could have been more but what is there is top notch, just a little thin.

7. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Same here. I'm surprised people are so willing to give the shallow gameplay a pass because of the shinny paint job. I haven't found the game really humorous, but it is entertaining. Still the gameplay reminds me of grinding in a turn based JRPG. Pretty decent game, just falls short of great which is disappointing.

3 maybe 3.5 stars.

8. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    My thoughts exactly!

9. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I should probably clarify that for my part, at least, I wasn't expecting Phoenix Wright, nor do I think the game needs to be another adventure game like PW, especially considering the HD trilogy is just about to be released.

The problem I have with the game is that the core of the game, the combat system, just hasn't been tuned at all. It is sloppy, lacks any kind of challenge on any mode other than hard, is too subject to random factors on the latter, and the developers have pretty clearly just handed the player a set of skills, thrown in opponents, and tasked them to make it through without actually sitting down and balancing each "battle".

I do still think that after all the work and love that clearly went into the intro, art, music and voice acting, to have the core gameplay be so fundamentally basic, repetitive and "empty" is a borderline crime, though, especially for a game that styles itself as a television show and has so much potential otherwise.

This reminds me of the original Assassin's Creed, where the developers spent 80% of the development time on the game's engine, and only had 20% left for actual gameplay, so it had pretty obvious flaws that were dealt with in the sequels, where the engine had pretty much already been taken care of.

I don't at all regret spending full price for the game though, and would do so again; I'd rather we see innovation and move away from a world where TA's GotW and GotY consistently go to endless runners, tower defense games, match-3s and remakes of decades-old games. :p

10. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    I just beat the game both on normal and hard, and actually found hard mode to be easier due to the fact that I already know which skill/upgrade to get that will be crucial to some harder cases. (got 57 bonus on hard mode)

The game is truly an experience and for 2.99, it's well worth it. The graphics, humor, and of course the soundtrack/theme song is what makes this game great. Strategic wise, it is simple, but still fun enough for me to waste 2-3 hours on it.

For now I am done with it, but might as well try another round of hard mode and try other skills.

11. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Ghost Trick scores a 10/5 on that scale ;)

12. ditroia

ditroia Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Regarding the accessories, you can also buy them in the later levels. They are available at the clothes store and garage.

13. gzz82

gzz82 Member

Jun 7, 2010
    i love this game!
    the dialogue is really funny, Lol
    of coz its no phoenix wright, but still the graphics are swaggy and the banter is funny

14. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    And finished. Only once, on hard, and with a number of restarts (RNG isnt RNG at all, so that made it more annoying). Unfortunately I missed a bit of the mechanics at the start to I missed 2 out of the 57 bonus, but since I'm not replayed all just for 2 near the beginning, that achievement will remain unachieved.

I find it kinda silly how if you unlock the achievements on hard it doesnt auto-unlock the ones for normal, something should really be done about that.

Finally the upgrading system of the house not having each item have a +1 in each category makes for some clarvoyance about the upgrades to come that you shouldnt have. My point is, each upgrade in the house should have all 3 options, not limited to sometimes 2 out of the 3. In the end I didnt need that last skill, but I was 1 point away of getting a skill in materialism, with decadence where i wanted and vanity maxed, where I could just choose in between decadence and vanity, so I never got that skill (and the point, w/e it was that I put it, would be wasted).

And if there's an arcade mode, it shouldnt be optional to maybe find it, there should be an item for that that you forcibly gain after a case, independent of the build you go. You get new apartments in a v gimmicky matter, why not this too?

About the challenge itself, with my skillbuild (getting reverse psy and then maxing blue), it wasnt really there, other than resets to try different patterns for the attacks with a range (and that got greatly reduced with the blue skill and the acc that makes it usable twice).

Last 2 cases were challenging, last one especially, although I though it was gonna be harder, then something very silly happened that made it an easy win (couldnt outdamage my heal anymore).

See? For me that's the problem with the game, the whole mechanics behind the bonus. Making it so everything is doable in 4 turns, makes combat rather easy. The last duel could've spanned over 10 turns (it didnt) and it was the most interesting fight in my head. Increasing the amount of turns it takes for cases would greatly increase the challenge, as it would be more about the strategy.

That last one comes in hand with the skills, there just has to be more from the start, because 1st case 10 turns when you can't do jack squat but normal hit, would be even more boring than the initial pokemon battle in red/blue with your rival. Get initial skills that are more interesting (like the ones you get later) and that *then* can branch out to different skills that approach the cases differently (like, for instance, no skill ever in the game increases prmanently the action points you have, making it not too cool to just go full damage and max materialism). Skills that are only used once per case should be rechargable after so many turns (in turn of the cases being longer), except the obvious ones that only need to be used once).

And finally, cases need better closure. Yes, the intro to every case is awesome, but... that's it, you win it, you get a paper, ok.... that doesnt give closure at all, there should also be a cutscene at the end, it would make the experience sooo much better.

It's a cool game, but again, the restrictions make it dull, and as said before and specified in this post, the game has SO much potential.

15. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010

All very good criticisms! I still am enjoying the game, but some of the things you mention make a lot of sense and in the case of closures, I totally agree! The intros are so satisfying but the closures feel very empty and it feels like each case should equally have a snarky end as a reward, not just a paper f success and getting kicked back to the house and office screen!

Nevertheless, I still really like this game, but it could stand for some additions and improvements. Hopefully we will see some of these ideas addressed in updates!

16. JeNeI

JeNeI Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Student
    Romania
    My brother has found a working glitch for the game (he found the Motherland exploit too).I won't say anything about this glitch (how to get it,nor will upload the video - thus not wanting to make it boring).I finished it once without this glitch and I was very proud of my achievement.

If anyone is interested in how to unlock the glitch propose something in offer and I might consider (the glitch has been tested on 2 devices).

17. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    #97 Johnny101, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
    Every time a game has a " one more time factor to it" ... you know it's a good game...This game has it. I Keep on wanting to play one more case.

I'm not thinking to deeply on this game, just enjoying it. The dialogue is top notch and if you like numbers and calculating. This game is for you.

18. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    This

19. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011

How about I propose you are a tool? Really your bro finds a glitch and you want something in offer for you to show it to someone? Really?

20. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Top notch graphics, voice acting, and gameplay. For $3, that's the best purchase I made all week.

I don't get people getting riled up because this isn't Phoenix Wright. I'm glad it isn't. If I want Phoenix Wright, I can just, you know, play Phoenix Wright.