Universal Devil's Attorney (by 1337 Game Design) [TA GotY 2012 Honorable Mention]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    ...first post?

2. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Doh! I could swear I watched the video in that post before and it was just a trailer. Oh well. Thanks! Now to watch...

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    It starts off like a trailer, but that's exactly how the game starts. None of that video is edited, hehe.

4. Johnny101

Johnny101 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Do you guys recommend this game ? Kind of on the fence but I like satire games. This looks interesting.

5. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    I'm holding off on this one for the moment. The game certainly has style, but I'm not sold on the gameplay, and the humor seems a bit low-brow for my personal taste.

6. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    Didn't see that part. But thanks for info. :D

I believe Sanuku has a 'preview gameplay video' on his youtube channel.

7. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    If you like satire, as I said many times, you will come to appreciate this game. Top notch production quality to boot as well.

8. carlisimo

carlisimo Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Still not out in the US and I'm catching a long flight in 20 minutes =[.

9. badr

badr Member

Apr 17, 2010
    IT Infrastructure Engineer
    Useless, Tx
    #49 badr, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    No iPhone 5/iPod Touch 5th Gen Support, but fun game

Well this game had me at, "Hello" or something like that.

I got the game and the first thing I noticed was that there was no support for iPhone 5 / iPod Touch 5th Gen "Wide Screen". I am pretty sure the dev could have postponed launching the game 1 week and launch it supporting the wide screen area, so I can see more of the courtroom, the street and the apartment, Instead of sporting the two black bars. Very 1337 of you 1337 Games.

The game is not like Phoenix Wright's attorney games. Meaning the game is not an adventure game, where you explore the cases. Devil's Attorney is an RPG "Puzzle" game. The RPG elements being the purchasing of Material, Vanity and Decadence attributes, and you can follow them in the "skill trees" in the profile.

The object of the game is to "kill" your opponents within a certain number of rounds, before your life runs out.

Each opponent (Prosecutors, Witnesses, Evidence and Experts) have a "life" value which is their Credibility. You attack their credibility using your attorney "powers". When you take away their credibility they go away, and do you less damage. If your life (which is the strength of the court case) runs out before you "kill" them, then you lose and you have to try again. If you win, you get money, buy more junk for your apartment, office or your clothing and you move to the next case.

The scripting of the game is simply hilarious, it goes from cheesy to comedic. It's funny and you will chuckle or laugh a bit. But sometimes the jokes fall flat, like Callista Flockheart Flat... The vice acting was superb. I'll give them that.

The gameplay though is repetitive. The court cases get more difficult but once you learn the logic and mechanic of each prosecutor, they dont vary much from case to case other than, their random appearance in the courtroom. There is really no story to follow, since there is no adventure mode on it, so it gets repetitive fast.

The game graphics don't feel they are Retina Display enhanced. I don't think that should be a detriment to the game exactly, more than why not, since all the devices available can display Retina Graphics quality. Dunno how good it looks on the iPad, but in the iPhone 5 it looks good, but I can't tell if its retina enhanced or not.

The game while it is a universal app, is priced at $2.99. IMHO I think its a bit overpriced, and $1.99 was more than enough. The replaying value of the game is very little, the game is very linear with little to no room to explore. The game lacking iPhone 5 widescreen support also ticked me off quite much because this is not a difficult task to do, and they should have included it in the 1st build of the game. But as a universal app, and its playability on the iPad for the same prize its not bad.

I gave the game 3 out of 5 stars. I'd give it a 4 or a 5 if the game supported the iPhone 5 from the get go and it was a tad less repetitive than it is right now. It's a fun game, you will laugh, but you will get bored quickly (unless you like repetitive action all the time).

There is definitely room to grow in the expandability of the game. I expected this game to be a whole lot different than what the developer presented it to be. Again $1.99 being the sweet point or even $0.99 cents, not $3 bucks.

10. verlaine

verlaine Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    #50 verlaine, Oct 11, 2012
    Just finished the game on normal mode. I enjoyed the experience -- but it left me wanting for more. It was over far too quickly and there seemed to be some missed opportunities for character development and maybe farcical humour.

The satirical humour fell a bit flat at times -- but I thought the voice-acting was top notch.

A few gameplay gripes (spoilers!):

I would've liked the option to buy even more items to max out my skills; I only 'won' the last case thanks to a strategy involving a specific skill from one maxed-out branch. If I'd chosen anything else, I would've found it nigh impossible to develop a good strategy.

And yes -- some cases involved A LOT of luck. On later levels, I often had to restart a case several times to get consecutive 'optimal' rolls -- even though I had a sound strategy planned out.

11. defred34

defred34 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Earth
    By the 15th case, things got too easy so I switched to hard mode. You should really try that - it makes you think. I'm at 45 now on hard more and I only missed the bonus twice.

But yeah, agree with you that I too restarted sometimes to get optimal damage scores. This brings an element of luck into the game. But anyways, if you're good with probabilities, it won't be so bad.

PS: Since you've finished, is there an arcade mode? I see something to do with that in the achievements.

12. verlaine

verlaine Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2012
    There is an arcade mode -- but you have to buy an arcade machine (it's considered a furnishing) and tap on it. I really should start over from the beginning and try the game on hard mode :D

13. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Game is okay, needs a bit more content though.

14. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    But that'd mean people would need to read through all of 5 pages of posts! That's way to much effort!

15. Johnny101

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Just got the game and played for 15 mins. Not what I was expecting. I thought the game was an interactive game where you choose dialogue to defend your client, not a point system. My fault for not reading the description of the game but IMO I don't really like the game, not my thing. It reminds me off those racing sim games where instead of actually racing. You win races by a point system.

16. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #56 Ayjona, Oct 11, 2012
    Game Impressions

I'm afraid I'm not having much fun with this. Once I got past the presentation and implementation (which are stellar, in every single sense and aspect), I discovered a very simplistic RPG, with no overarching story, extremely repetitive gameplay, and a surprising lack of peripheral and supportive mechanisms and systems.

In summary, all the game entails is going to court to fight abstracted court room battles (where you choose a few actions to damage or stun your opponents, or heal yourself, they damage you, you choose again, until are opponents are discredited, or you've lost the case), and in between choosing between a rather sparse number of decorative upgrades for you pad.

These upgrades are purchased with your court winnings, and also represent one of the two only forms of progression in the game as far as I've discovered (the other being gifts from clients which provide a passive boost. These gifts actually show up on the character in dialogues, which is a nice touch. Again, the presentation is every bit as striking as most games for the platform), as they increase your Decadence, Materialism and Vanity, three small skill trees which unlock four additional (but unfortunately not very varied or creative, with the possible exception of "Reverse psychology") special abilities per tree.

And that is all there seem to be to the actual mechanics.

What little narrative there is represents a waste of the very nice voice acting. One pre-court room dialogue (small conversations between Max and opposing prosecutors represent the only aspect of storytelling in the game) has Max telling his rival a slightly more detailed version of "your case is the Titanic, and I'm the iceberg". Another has him informing an aging female prosecutor that he'd rather be young and handsome than old and bitter. A third has him commenting on the smell of failure. A fourth has him saying his mother told him not to talk to strange old ladies (to the aging female prosecutor). That's about it for the game's comedy, and the attempts to present Max as suave and witty. Instead, he comes across as childish and petty and even slightly dim-witted, not traits that are conductive to the charming rogue/anti-hero archetype.

With an overarching story, some special events/twists and turns to break the monotony of conducting very similar battles over and over, more intricate courtroom procedures/RPG battle mechanics (plus additional graphical and audial representations of Max's attacks, to bring additional real-world context to the RPG abstraction), and a few more progression systems (so many possibilities spring to mind), coupled with the presentational values that are already there, this could have been a tremendously cool experience. With some good writing in addition, it could have been one of the best iOS games so far.

Currently, it feels like flash game content in an AAA package.

17. jaze

jaze Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Game Impressions

While the game looks great, the graphics and artwork are excellent.

the gameplay itself is dull, it's to easy and quickly becomes boring, shame that it looks so good, underneath is a very shallow game.

Have to say I'm not that far into it, suspect it becomes a bit better but it's not fun for me. Just seems too easy there are no penaltys for failing simply play again with different selections. Very boring. Disappointed.

18. Johnny101

Jun 29, 2011
    USA
    Based on the trailer and the quick commentary from the TA reviewers, I thought this game was going to have dialogue throughout. I have yet to see a court room game on iOS. It had me really intrigued but this point based system doesn't do anything for me.

I really think this would have been better as a point and click adventure type game. Using real dialogue to defend the clients and interact with the characters in the story....

19. Hejden

Hejden Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I'm sorry to hear that you found the gameplay repetitive and boring. Perhaps you should try switching to the Hard difficulty? It was difficult for us to find a good balance for the Normal difficulty setting, since people are really different. But if you find it boring, it is most likely because it isn't challenging enough for you. Or perhaps it's just not the type of game you were hoping for.

Regarding the art, the game is in Retina resolution on the iPhone 4. We have submitted a widescreen update of the game to Apple which should be available shortly.

I understand that people want to get the full experience from their new iPhone 5, but it's really difficult for us developers to keep up with Apple sometimes. It's not like Apple informs us of what their next model will be capable of, so it's just as much a surprise to us as everyone else. Except maybe for a select few developers that Apple works really closely with.

Making a widescreen version was a lot of work for us. Not from a technical standpoint, but art-wise. Almost 80% of the background art had to be extended, and when you're dealing with hand-painted art that's kind of a big deal. But we actually did this months ago because we wanted to be able to release the game on as many platforms as possible (and many platforms are in widescreen). It took a lot of time, but it had to be done. So when Apple announced that the iPhone 5 was in widescreen, it wasn't really a problem for us. However, we had to get our hands on an actual iPhone 5 in order to test it - and those weren't released in Sweden at the same time as in the US.

We did our best to get the update out there as fast as we could. We were hoping that Apple would have it approved and ready by launch, but regretfully that was not the case. Since we had already communicated a release date to the public, we felt that it was better to get it out there than to wait.

I hope you understand, and I hope you'll enjoy the game more with the update.

20. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    While I, too, found this game interesting from the outside, it is not much more than the humor in it. As everyone said the game is rather repetitive, and the strategy part is very strongly hindered by how the attacks work, while it is a nice aspect, perhaps in normal (started in hard, not sure what it changes) the randomness of the attacks can make a whole well though off plan go through the sewers by rolling a 2 when you needed a 3, making you restart more times than it should.

As an RPG it would be considered even worse, as there's no variety in the attacks or in the outcome and you really need to grind a lot for the more interesting attacks (reverse psychology is an example, I went full orange just to get it and then looked at the other trees).

Dont get me wrong, the game has potential, but it isnt quite there yet, lacks more content, gameplay wise.