Universal Devil Shard (by Game Stew)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 7, 2014.

1. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    #61 retr0spective, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
    I just made my contribution and encourage everyone to do the same. This wonderful game needs the recognition that it deserves. From the App Store:

[5 Stars] Match-3 RPG Beauty

"Devil Shard is the latest gem from Game Stew which continues their distinctive blend of beautiful retro graphics, light RPG elements, and dark fantasy storytelling. It seems to have slightly less depth than their previous release, Tower of Fortune 2, instead acquiring a simplicity and structured upgrade system that suitably compliments the central gameplay mechanic. In previous games, Game Stew has successfully incorporated their signature style into such mechanics as the slot machine, gauge, and game & watch gameplay. In this case, they make use of the match-3 mechanic thereby joining the ranks of the hybrid genre exemplified by such classics as Dungeon Raid and Puzzle Quest.

Suffice to say that the Match-3 mechanic is a perfect fit for Game Stew's idiosyncratic style. It allows for a more personal engagement than the slot machine and the finite level structure permits a greater emphasis on the Story as opposed to an endless affair. The bonus content also ensures that this game will be staying on my device for quite some time. Perhaps until a sequel comes out!"

I am currently Level 46 and also working toward the True Ending in the Bone Graveyard. I can't get enough. Thank you so very much to Game Stew for yet another awesome game!

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Okay, just bought this and beat the Training Camp, and HOLY COW THIS IS AMAZING. SO MANY GOOD MATCH 3 RPGs HOLY COW.

The music is amazing, and the ability to move around the tiles without matches is so awesome! Holy frickin cow this is good! So much content, so much to unlock! So much variety! Holy crap this is good!

3. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Is it better on iPhone or iPad guys?

4. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    Enjoying this so much that not only has it taken away from Wayward Souls a bit, it's also inspired me to go back and play Tower of Fortune 2. (Also awesome btw!)

5. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I don't know, it works fine on iphone. I assume it would be the same

6. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I bought this based on the recs in this thread, and I'm liking this game a lot more than TOF2. That said, I will give TOF2 another try. I end up hooked on a lot of games that didn't grab me the first time around.

7. momopara

momopara Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2013
    We just post another gameplay video on FB, enjoy it :)
    https://www.facebook.com/TowerofFortune

My personal top 3 incarnation:
    1. Devil Slayer: no skull, no enemy counterattack
    2. Painful Fairy: She makes the boss pain with their own attack
    3. Warrior Queen: great for clean the path to boss

8. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    The game kicked my ass for a couple days but now that I buy insurance/potions and can grind the finished first chapter... I'm able to upgrade some equipment and the maiden form.

Any tips or tricks to what skills are better to pick for level up?

9. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    Also what's happening when these red ghosts challenge you? Are they real people?

I just concede, because the first time I fought one they ate up my potions fast.

I lose money and devil shards, what are the devil shards - are they the skull that you use to level weapons and forms?

10. momopara

Sep 21, 2013
    #70 momopara, May 13, 2014
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
    1. Upgrade your DEF and armor first, if you still have some gold, buy at least one life potion before combat
    2. All skill about increase tile matching effect is important, you can focus on sword or heal first (normal one first)
    3. Use XP potion in any high LV dungeon can give you lots XP to LV up
    4. If the situation is tough, just tap the combat screen and quit!

We have some tip on the FB, check it:
    https://www.facebook.com/TowerofFortune

11. momopara

Sep 21, 2013
    Red blood shade (dark spirit) are soul of dead heroes, they are automatically created by player when they die. So some of them are tough(helmet with 1 or 2 horn)

Devil shards looks like the purple skull, they are used to forge and upgrade incarnations.

12. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I'm a little confused.. you keep nothing (absolutely nothing) when you die except for consumable items?

Originally I thought this was a very good game but after I died and lost everything and all my level progress and all the equipment I stashed, I was pretty upset. I would assume obviously dying during a dungeon would make you lose what you gained in progress but everything you own is pretty much gone? Makes it seem useless to keep playing unless you have money saved to buy an expensive "insurance". Probably one of the most difficult match 3s I've played that could've been amazing.

13. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Try playing the first two areas (20 lvs total) carefully and upgrade sword, armor and shield. Have some health potions ready if something bad happens. If you simply make it to the final level of the first area you can play that one level repeatedly and then have money for health potions etc... After these levels and a little grinding on the end stages you'll be ahead of the game and it will be less stressful.

I felt the same way you did my first few times ;-)

I didn't realize either that if you are going to die you can tap the battle area and simply return to the temple and not lose everything... That knowledge might have been helpful lol

BTW. Has anybody upgraded to the new version? I'm scared to do it and then find out I've lost my max lol hero, etc...

Anybody have any problems with the upgrade? Thx

14. Alex Wolf

Alex Wolf Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    #74 Alex Wolf, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014
    Masonhurst is right... At first i thought everything would be unbalanced... But sfter playing more and more from the beginning .... The more i knew how to survive .. So basically ... I love this game :))

Forgot to ask.... Which bugs were fixed anyway?

15. momopara

Sep 21, 2013
    Don't worry about the upgrade version, we just correct minor bugs, typos... , tiny things you even don't notice them(but we still care about them). :)

16. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    So they are the remnants of other dead players?

17. MasonHurst

MasonHurst Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2013
    #77 MasonHurst, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
    On GC (I'm number three but the first score looks fake) I only see 26 players.... Is it possible only 26 people bought the game?

It's a shame Touch Arcade didn't review the app to give it some exposure.

Ooo ops I'm being stupid. I forgot you have to get through the entire game to get to the final section that actually puts up a score on GC.

Sorry folks... Ignore this

18. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    They haven't reviewed it so far

19. momopara

Sep 21, 2013
    Well..., you can check Pocket Gamer, they just review Devil Shard, score 8/10, link:
    http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Devil+Shard/review.asp?c=59485

20. rpgmind

rpgmind Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    If it helps anyone, when enemies use the 'lock' skill, you can still match with the locked tiles to take them out, just not move them. haaaated this ability until I realized that, plus you can tell from the outline what it is.