Universal Devil May Cry 4 refrain (by CAPCOM)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Feb 2, 2011.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Nostalgia goggles ? You should try refreshing your memory.

I played tons of games in the 80's, huge fan of the Spectrum in the UK, written a few books about 8 bit games, got every issue of Retro Gamer magazine.

The games back then were a bit more than 'memorization of levels requiring thousands of deaths' etc.

Of course there were games where you had to be pixel perfect but there was a great range of games back then which were addictive as anything. 25 years later these games are still popular, theres a magazine dedicated to these games, lots of ports to the latest consoles etc.

Not saying games were perfect back then but many were so playable and years later people are still buying many of them.

Yeah of course theres a small nostalgic factor but the reason I and i'm sure many others go back to these games is because theyre very addictive. In every era you get frustrating games where youre required to learn every part of the game just to progress.

But if you take off that blinkered view of old games you'll find theres many great games back then which featured (what looks like now) poor graphics/sound but the gameplay was just brilliant.

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    But back to the game, bought this last night, really enjoying it, heard there arent tons of levels but for the price its a bargain and well worth it

3. fusermarucs

fusermarucs Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    +1 to this: bought it myself and enjoying it too.

4. Slothy

Slothy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    No difficulty selection? Damn. Also, graphic definitely do not look retina supported. But I'm enjoying it so far regardless.

5. Waks

Waks Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Philippines
    Gameplay's nice. Everything else - not so.

I'm enjoying it though. Just don't expect anything outside of its gameplay. Controls just need a bit of getting used to.

6. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

How much gameplay does each of these stages have and when you reenter a room do the same monsters reappear?

7. Mestre7

Mestre7 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Game Impressions

For those couple of people who've asked, I can confirm that it works just fine on a 2nd generation iPod touch.

Not sure whether it's going to stay long on my device or not, just yet. I've never played a DMC game before, and I died to a boss early on and haven't played it much since, but it does have a certain fun factor.

To throw in my 2c on the "old games" issue (because I can't resist) I just think it's a mixed bag. You can make the mistake of assuming that all 80s-odd games were good or you can make the same mistake by figuring they were all bad. Really, there were gems and rubbish games both, just like there are now, and some of each were misdiagnosed.

Also, some seemed good because they were revolutionary then, and have been done much better since. Street Fighter II drives me mad in frustration, but was sure considered to be the big fighting game at the time. On the other hand, the Sid Meier's Pirates game that was released a few of years ago was functionally more or less identical to the Apple II version, aside from graphics and animations.

So I think it's a mistake to judge them all at once.

Anyway, rambling, bye. ;)

8. kugi_igi

kugi_igi Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Punturin
    so it's working on 2nd gen.damn why did they made it os 4.1 and up :( :D

9. kingofkings8183

kingofkings8183 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Anyone who plays this game,for god's sake switch to normal controls in the settings.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Exactly, as a kid in the 80's saving up your pocket money to get a game for £7.95 (Whats that about $12 ?) and then realising 10 minutes later it was a load of rubbish was terrible. (So thats why home taping was so huge back then !).

But obviously computer game review mags came out to help you, there were lots of classic gems back in the 80's on many platforms such as the Sinclair Spectrum and C64, but as it was a huge boom era companies were churning out tons of 'donkeys' as well, cashing in on the latest TV show (Miami Vice for example or Knight Rider) and making a terrible game , but knowing it would sell by the bucketload due to the name.

But amongst those turkies a lot of real classics came out and are still popular all these years later. Its funny playing some of them (Eg in that Elite Sinclair Spectrum collection) but some of the early games were excellent.

I just find years later 'some' games obviously look/sound great but people arent going back to it time and time again. The gameplay just isnt there.

But anyway all these years later and getting some great game for the ipod for 99p which gives me hours of gaming is incredible.

Anyway back to this game...

"switch to normal controls in the settings."

Yep totally agree !

11. kingofkings8183

Sep 22, 2010
    Can anyone help me with the fourth level? the door in the big room with the staircase is locked. How do i get through?

12. Loganaustin

Loganaustin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Is it worth buying

13. kingofkings8183

Sep 22, 2010
    help please?

[SPOILERS]

ive searched around more and theres a gyro thing and a wall which i cant cross, and in another room where theres a door with a wall of current covering it. this is in mission 4 (fortuna castle)

14. Maniacfive

Maniacfive Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Phone Sales
    Kent, UK
    been playing this a little bit this afternoon, after all this trolling about graphics from people who haven't played it i figured I'd better just dive right in.

Havent set eyes on a Devil may Cry game since the original on a friends PS2. I have zero idea what the plot is about, who these characters are, or even why I should care, given the completely lacklustre job of telling the story (tiny text on static pictures, great job capcom) but that said, this is akin to Streetfighter, it may have a plot, who cares, it's fun. I'm enjoying running about and killing the enemies. As said earlier, the controls make it very easy to pull off cool combos. It really is very satisfying to be shooting away, run in, jump up, and throw them into the ground with a huge crunch, then hack at them with a sword.

Good stuff. A small tea's worth of pennies well spent.

oh, and the cheesy metal soundtrack is a nice touch.

15. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

#135 mashead2000, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  16. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

Is there a survival mode at all and can you replay levels?

17. SON

SON Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    NY
    no it's not.

18. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    Yes it is IMO

19. mashead2000

mashead2000 Well-Known Member

Wrong.....

Yes :)

20. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #140 backtothis, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
    If you're actually talking about worth in the literal sense (pocket change of $1.99), then yes it is definitely worth buying. The levels go by pretty fast, but as others have stated, the combat is really fun. The graphics kind of remind me of the style of art in RE4, so yeah you know the deal. But for $1.99 and being the top feature of the week for Apple, the game is already at 24th place, so clearly it's "worth" it. It's a lot better than Etolis for the price. That game has so many bugs, camera jerks, jerky controls, etc. so for now it's pretty handicapped.

Sacred Odyssey was probably my favorite release from yesterday. The graphics engine is pretty eh now. Gameloft's graphics used to be top notch, but now the appstore has definitely advanced. However, it's nice to have a decent open-world game. The combat is a lot more forgiving, yet simplified by tons, in comparison to Aralon, which is in a way the closest comparison I can make to the game, although SO isn't a RPG in the normal sense. It's 'worth' it in my opinion.

League of Evil goes by really fast, but you can replay all the levels to try and get 3 stars in each, which is given by the time you take to finish the level. They all take below a minute..so yeah it doesn't take even an hour to get through the whole game. However, it's one of the better 0.99 games that have been released recently. Well, Wild Frontier is a lot better for 0.99, but I'm biased towards RPGs xD.

Bop It by EA is pretty much what you would expect from playing the classic toy on a touchscreen. It's pretty much the same as the toy but without the havoc and urgency, which isn't necessarily a good thing. There's a lot more 'bopjects' too. The multiplayer feature is the only notable thing for me; otherwise..yeah, not worth 2.99.

I also bought Monty Python; I pretty much feel the same way as the front page review. It's not too fun. It doesn't offer anything new. It's a terribly downgrade from what you'd expect if you know anything about MP.

Battleheart wasn't released yesterday, but in case you don't have it, let's just say it's the best of its class. I'd group it with games like trenches, LW, and other side scrolling RTS games on the iOS, although it's not exactly the same. The game comes with plenty of frantic micromanagement of units and requires quite some strategy sometimes to beat the level without getting slaughtered. One of the best buys for 2.99 this week.

The last game that I bought this week so far is Wild Frontier. It's probably my favorite KRPG on the idevice so far. If you've been a fan of the Inotia or Zenonia series, this is for you. At 0.99, it's irresistible for a RPG fan.

Trenches is the game of the week for Apple. I think it definitely deserves the recognition. It made a recovery to the top after over a year since its initial debut, and for good reason. With continuous support, TWG finally brought us global multiplayer through GC. That was indeed what the game needed. For 0.99, you'll be getting some intense online battles that require quite a deal of strategy. It's also very fun solo. There's 2 campaigns, and many, many game modes. Each of these modes (nearly) are also playable online.

Kick Buttowski is fun, so you can figure that one out for yourself. Some good casual fun.

It's been a great week for iOS gaming. The appstore brought us a great week of releases to follow the release of Dead Space last week.