Universal Devil May Cry 4 refrain (by CAPCOM)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Feb 2, 2011.

1. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    agreed

2. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #62 bigrand1, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    Gonna have to SPANK you! Bend over my knee, son!

3. Gunblade1190

Gunblade1190 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    NJ
    I don't want to continue this arguement because it happens entirely way too often so can't we all just be happy with what we have?

Also, the bolded part above. The iOS version of SS4 is just a port of the 360/PS3/whatever else it's available on. The 3DS version's gonna be a separate port of the 360/PS3etc version as well, not a port of the iOS version (which, as far as I know, is lacking in a lot of the characters that appear in the full version). It'll probably be a full or better version.

4. Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Actually, Lego Harry Potter on PSP was a port of the DS version. Anyway, I am becoming more and more sold on buying DMC4 Refrain. I wonder if they have plans for an iPad version like they did with RE4.

5. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    that should be crapcom mobile's motto

6. Bungie.net

Bungie.net Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2009
    Washington
    Game

Sweet another Xbox game now a app

7. Aristocratic

Aristocratic Active Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Architect
    Toronto
    I've bought these kinds of games and have been disappointed. They boast beautiful graphics and poopie gameplay. You spend $7 on a good looking poop. I think companies are jumping the shark on these kinds of games. Wait until the OS can properly support it. Until then, I'll stick to Bejeweld 2.

8. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    lol its ALL about the graphics when it comes to the newer generations, if not, why would we change consoles every generation? tell me.... like you said, kids :rolleyes: there can't be a deep story anymore without flawless graphics... a good games has the whole package... i can't believe you complaint about good graphics... :rolleyes:

9. GasparZizou

GasparZizou Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    MKT student, intern in an advertising agency.
    Guadalajara
    lol and these two kids tryied to troll me when i said most people didn't like how this game looks, just look at the firts 3 pages of this thread, most people agree, another mediocre port from Crapcom (for the iOS at least)

10. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

How much gameplay time is in each of these stages?

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Go read the reviews from folks who have actually played the game (from Paradiso, for instance) and do us a favor and give it a rest.

12. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Please..just no more.
    That's really just your opinion, heh. Phoenix Wright and SF4 are two of my favorite games, and while they're not new (they're ports), it's great that capcom took the time to make it available for the platform. Also, RE4 was pretty big for the iOS at the time of it's debut. You have to look at time frame. This is like the kids who comment on Ravensword in the AppStore saying that the game is complete trash compared to Aralon..well yeah, it came out over a year later??? The impressions for this game so far also make me believe that this will probably be fun on the iOS as well. Lighten up hahah.

13. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    If you say so. Have fun with your games that aren't fun. At all.

14. Rasterico

Rasterico Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2009
    United Kingdom
    From what I've seen this looks, sounds and plays like DMC, that's good enough for me, so it only has 10 levels? I can live with that for just over £1.

I'm not sure people in this community have realistic expectations anymore, I think people should put into perspective what exactly you could afford to purchase instead of this and weigh up how much entertainment you're getting for such a minuscule fee, people moaning about the graphics should remember that the first devil may cry looked worse but was one of the most accomplished PS2 titles. And before anyone says it, yes I'm well aware that times have changed and Infinity Blade is out there, that doesn't mean every game has to live up to it's standard.

15. You sound young.

I'm on the fence about this one. Looks decent, never been a big fan of the game, but every once in a while I like a brainless hack 'n slash to wile away some time. Plus, $2 is less than I was expecting this to be. Could be fun.

16. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

If your interested in it I'd say go for it. Without comparing it to the console versions, it's not a bad game at all.

Of course I'd like all games to have the total package: a well rounded story, spot on controls, great sounds and music, perfect combat, but hardly any do. Luckily DMC has fun and natural feeling combat and a weak story, instead of the other way around. I can honestly say I skipped all but the first cutscene, and I still feel like I got my money's worth.

17. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Well, I downloaded DMC4 at 00:20 here in the UK.

First impressions:

1. Plays just like the console versions.

2. Controls are good enough, well laid out.

3. Retina Display graphics are nowhere near as sharp as Gameloft titles or titles like Rage or Dead Space (note, I'm talking sharpness not detail). It is however quite grainy in places, and this is on an iPhone 4. However, this is a very faithful representation of DMC4.

4. Missions are short, but ideal for a mobile game.

5. At £1.19, you'd be mad to stick your nose up at this.

18. yemi

yemi Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    This game is very fun!!! I own bigger systems and yes graphics and lenght might be better but this game is really great. Only $1.99 its a steal if you ask me. I have ps3 this game cost me $70 opening day. Fantastic for the price!!! If you want true console game you buy dead space but you have to pay much more for that one.

19. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

They're pretty short. Unless your going for an S rank on every stage, there's no incentive to explore or deviate from the path, and even when you do you'll only find a few red orbs at most.

It is suited for a mobile game though, with quick sessions. Plus it has a quick save future if you get kicked out for some reason. I'd say the levels are maybe 15 minutes at the most, I don't remember exactly. You get a higher score based on time taken, damage taken, number of deaths, and orbs collected.

The short levels aren't actually a problem till the end, when it feels like they're just throwing reskins of the same area at you.

The redeeming factor as I've said many times is combat, which in my opinion, has a certain badassness to it.

20. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I can't wait for this game. 3 hours and counting. Gameplay looks good from the vid. I just hope the graphics are better than I expect.