Universal Devil May Cry 4 refrain (by CAPCOM)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Jtown4prez

Jtown4prez Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    graphics are meaningless to me. its awesome to say i have dmc 4 in my pocket. kids these days only care about radiant pictures n graphics. seriously why bash this game cause of that

2. kingofkings8183

kingofkings8183 Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2010
    lol i remember when gamers wanted a PSP devil may cry. Now a PSP quality dmc game is here and its only 2 bucks, and no one cares.

3. veecheech

veecheech Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Minnesota
    Wow so cheap! Can't wait for tonight, when I'll be playing this for hours. Assuming it has that much length to it.

Looks really good though, I am with the others who don't care about the graphics and just want to have DMC in their pocket.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Exactly, I come from the generation of gamers (80's) where music/graphics were very basic but its all about the gameplay.

DMC looks great and at the end of the day $1.99 ? Sure we'll all get tons of gameplay for that price

5. orinationx2

orinationx2 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2010
    So, here's my impression.

I've been a fan of DMC since the third game, and this port fails to disappoint. It contains the same furious, stylish action that has become the staple of the franchise, and the gameplay returns in all its glory, despite having touchscreen controls. I must say the controls posed far less problems than I thought they would, though I found the normal controls MUCH easier than the 'simple' controls, and I feel anyone familiar with DMC or fighting games in general will feel the same way.

The graphics are nothing to write home about, though they are crisp and vibrant to the point at which it is able to convey the same kind of creepy, yet awesome environments scattered among the game. Nero's attack animations are smooth, and the enemies are equally well done. This contributes to the whole "smooth" factor of the game, and if I'm not wrong, the graphics may have been slightly compromised in order to keep the game running smooth...a sacrifice that has largely paid off.

Though, if there's one thing I'm concerned about right now, it's the length of the game. It what seems like an hour I've gone through four of the game's ten missions already, and despite thoroughly enjoying myself, I hope it isn't as short as it appears to be right now. It is comforting to see that the levels begin branching out into maze-like structures at this point, resulting in longer gameplay + more combat (which is always a plus in a DMC game) I do wish they had found a way to make the game slightly longer. Will edit appropriately when the game is finished to refine this section of the review for a more accurate judgement.

Overall, I have few complaints with this game. The gameplay, the defining factor of any DMC game, is fully intact, just waiting for you to get all Super Smokin' Stylish on a bunch of enemies, all the while blasting rock music and screaming like an idiot the whole time. Well worth the surprisingly low cost of two-dollars, I would say this game is a MUST-HAVE for any action fans, or fans of DMC in general.

Out of 10, I would give it an 8.5, with its price taken into account.

6. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Yup thats how it works.

7. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks, sorry wasnt 100% sure and wanted to check. New to all this ipod touch stuff but loving it (50 games bought the last 3 weeks, ahem !)

8. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Either way, I wish capcom would offer more of their existing and future titles to the iPad. The iPhone versions are ok....but I like playing on the iPad a lot more....well depending on the game that is, but most of them are better on the iPad IMO

9. Videotape

Videotape Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    student, journeyman
    pallet town
    i cant think of a single game less suited to virtual controls... dont know how ya'll played devil may cry but just check out any random combo vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T_RdUPNg6k

not that im that good at all but i can do bits of the canceling and make some pretty flashy combos. i know the buttons being pressed and you cant even come close to that kind of precision with a touch screen, and honestly without that depth of control i find myself asking why i would ever play this.

so early adopters wanna comment on the ability to do any real combos...

10. Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    I agree. At least Resident Evil 4 has an iPad edition.

Oh, and thanks for the impressions orination. At such a low price, I think I will buy it. At least it's Retina enabled I think.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Just wish Capcom would release more. I've got the arcade app, yeah some people knock it but i love playing the original arcade game of Commando and Ghost n Goblins. The remake of GnG is also very good.

Wish they released a few more though

12. incineratee

incineratee Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    DMC4 example : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1RHxRkuFVc&feature=related

13. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Not really. Developers back then were restrained by hardware and or software limitations. They didn't just choose simple pixel arts because they were lazy, but because there was not much they could do. Still, they kept trying to push the boundaries with detailed artworks (Monkey Island or other adventure games) or some genuine solutions (stylised or simplified, etc).

If this is the best iPhone can do, then no problem. But as we've all seen, iPhone is a lot more capable than this, so no one can deny it feels a bit like lazy port on the graphics department.

I'm happy to hear the controls and gameplay are great though.

14. Lurmah

Lurmah Member

Sep 26, 2010
    So...

Does anyone know if this is 2nd gen compatible?

15. Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad. Requires iOS 4.1 or later.

If the App Store page doesn't mention iPod Touch 3G by name, then you should be fine with your iPod Touch 2G.

16. Deamon34

Deamon34 Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2010
    [QUOTE but im just tired of waiting for the real great game to hit apple device.[/QUOTE]

There are many great games on IOS devices.

Lego Harry Potter (Which was a PSP port)
    Nova (Which was ported to the PSP)
    Street Fighter IV (Will be ported to the 3DS)
    Angry Birds (Ported to the PSP)
    Dead Space (not on either device)

It's annoying how spoiled we get, every release from here on out has to have awesome graphics or it sucks. Lame!

17. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    The gameplay? You mean rote memorization of levels requiring thousands of deaths, along with quarter-munching tactics and sticky controls?

Take off your nostalgia goggles, please.

18. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

Just beat the game. It was fun, but very repetitive. You go through an area, solve a puzzle, fight a boss, over and over. Combat is great, but the camera sucks, and the story isn't worth following because of the terrible cutscenes.

If your a fan of the series, or just feel like playing a decent hack and slash, it's worth the price, but don't expect anything original or groundbreaking.

19. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    i also like the game, graphics arent the greatest but they are far from horrible. gameplay is fast and so far i like it and hope they support it in the future. good price too.

20. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #60 bigrand1, Feb 2, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    Man, if this isn't one of those cases where someone should've just kept their mouth shut! That was a completely ignorant comment! Obviously you weren't there then! Most games way back when weren't about killing and death at all! There were a variety of things that had the 'one more time' thing going for them that was basically about high score! There WAS the quarter-munching aspect, but that was normal because unlike these days, you had to PAY for ONE game at a time and you didn't have them at home to play over and over as much as you wanted for free. Also, considering the buttons and joysticks used at that time, controls generally weren't sticky at all, and if you spent a lot of time in what they used to call 'arcades', and you threw down as many quarters as I and some others here on TA did back then-if you were even BORN then, you'd have realized that the things you said were really stupid.........Sorry, kid,you lost all credibility there!