Universal Device 6 - (by Simogo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 16, 2013.

1. LORE

LORE Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2013
    Haha this looks like an ok game but that's pathetic that its over 700 mb, how did they manage that? A storybook app like this shouldn't be over 10 mb

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    If I wanted to buy every simogo game, but was forced to leave one out, should it be Bumpy Road?

3. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    This insane hybrid of art forms is simply incredible.

4. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    #144 ElectricGrandpa, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    It's absolutely packed with tons of sounds and music, as well as images and at high enough resolution to look great on retina iPads. Only a crazy person would expect it to fit into 10mb ;)

That said, the reason it's 777mb on device and not 137mb like the download is because of how Unity works. If you want high quality textures in a Unity game, you have to store them uncompressed on the device (at least without some convoluted workarounds that have other tradeoffs). When the file is packed for the App Store it gets compressed, but then when it's installed on the device it gets decompressed. This is (theoretically) optimal for load times, but sucks for on-device file size.

Here's a thread from the Unity forums from last december where I complain about it: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/162962-Unity-iOS-Image-Sizes

5. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    You might want to consider moving to another middleware. 777MB is no big deal on XBox, but limits your buyers on mobile...

6. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    That still doesn't stop developers. Look at Gameloft or EA and their gigantic app sizes. And they still make buckets of bucks.

7. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Game Impressions

Just finished it today. Absolutely amazing. GotY so far for me.

The story is unsettling and mood is unsettling. The tone the game sets with the music, audio, and 'old fashioned' video is fantastic. There is some great use of parallax to create psuedo-3D scenes.

Perhaps the most impressive part to me (without saying too much) is how typography and simple colors are able to convey a sense of location and spatial awareness throughout the story. I can't describe it at all. It's fascinating though how the way that text is laid out, the spacing of the words, the orientation all contributes to what is almost like a 'map' in your mind.

The app store is full of really well-done, solid titles that are also predictable. Sure, Infinity Blade III added some new stuff, but it's more of an evolution. Same with PvZ, or insert-big-title-here. Device 6 is truly different, unique, and amazing.

$3.99 for 2-3 hours of gameplay and loved every second of it. For me, it evoked feelings of Lost (the good seasons), Portal, and Myst. If any of those are interesting to you, you owe it to yourself to try Device 6.

Mind blown.

8. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Id Leave out Kosmo Spin before I left out Bumpy Rd

9. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #149 JCho133, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    I've already got that one :D haha

I think I'm just gonna stick with getting D6 and YW for now, currently one chapter 4 in D6

10. DeadGuy427

DeadGuy427 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    US Army Infantry
    Lacey, WA
    Does anyone have a recommendation on which device to play this? I have a hard time sometimes with text on my iPhone, but it seems like with all the rotating an iPad might be too cumbersome...any thoughts?

11. KuangEleven

KuangEleven Active Member

Feb 23, 2013
    The main text is really clear on an iPod 4 so it should be OK. The only things you may struggle to read are tiny bits of background text but they're just there for flavour

12. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I played it on a 3rd gen iPad and it was fine. Yes, it's slightly cumbersome on an iPad, but by no means difficult.

13. Apokalypso

Apokalypso Active Member

Sep 11, 2012
    So I usually don't try to get outside help for these types of games (I didn't for Year Walk) except I'm absolutely bummed about this one. I'm up to Chapter 4 and I can't work out the Link Test puzzle. I don't know if this is a common puzzle or not but I have never seen anything like it. If somebody could help me out without giving away the answer directly it would be greatly appreciated!

14. KuangEleven

Feb 23, 2013

You'll have seen a piece of paper earlier in the level with a grid showing letters next to each face. Three pairs of letter need to be linked. The clue on the back of the sheet will tell you more.

15. Apokalypso

Apokalypso Active Member

Sep 11, 2012
    #155 Apokalypso, Oct 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2013
    Thank you! I'll give it a go now.

Ok I figured that one out, thanks for the help.

For the puzzle with the black shapes I'm kinda stuck too. I tried every shape shown on the projector with the sheep with no success. The only things I noticed odd were the numbers under each picture doubles with each consecutive picture and also 'The Stranger' face is happy and 'The Friend' face is angry. Can you let me know if I'm missing something obvious here please?

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012

Go listen to the gramaphone headed priest...... Listen to everything he says on channel 1

17. B_O_O_Y_A_R

B_O_O_Y_A_R Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Finished and loved it to bits

Funny to see other people mentioning it reminds them of lost and portal. The portal ones odd because I had really strong portal vibes but I couldn't work out why and it didn't make sense but others had it too. I think it might be the dark sense of humour in it.

I also got a twin peaks vibe.

Cannot think of a game that is this unique. The only other game would be year walk lol

18. B_O_O_Y_A_R

B_O_O_Y_A_R Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I'd also recommend print screening weird stuff you find ilke the deivce stuff. Good to look back at after

19. KuangEleven

Feb 23, 2013
    The humour and the strange sense of narrative duality reminded me a lot of Superbrothers, especially when it gives the fourth wall a cheeky prod :)

20. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Amirite?