Universal Device 6 - (by Simogo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 16, 2013.

1. TheEvilRobot

TheEvilRobot Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    #121 TheEvilRobot, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013

Edited my post.

I hope I didn't come off as mean. That wasn't my intention at all.

2. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    There are no spoilers in there at all. These are all questions that are laid out clearly within the game. There are no hints to the puzzle solutions in that sentence.

People have been very good at using spoiler tags in this thread to avoid giving anything away.

3. TheEvilRobot

Apr 4, 2013

Ok thanks :)

How long is the game?

4. Candykiller

Candykiller Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 15, 2010
    Illustrator/Designer
    United Kingdom
    It's difficult to say with a game like this. It depends on how long it takes you to figure out the solutions to the puzzles, but I would say 2-3 hours is probably the average completion time. It is quite short, but beautifully done.

5. TheEvilRobot

Apr 4, 2013
    #125 TheEvilRobot, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013

1 more question: Does this run on ipod 4?

6. toffee

toffee Member

Jun 27, 2012
    That was brilliant. Didn't read anything spoilery before playing through and would advise everyone to do the same. Puzzles were at that level where they need some thought (and a pen and paper - the wife was slightly concerned on finding what looked like the scrawlings of a madman) but can be solved without help, as with Year Walk.

Going to play through again to see if I spot a few things that I missed or didn't seem important at the time.

Fantastic developer, very brave to try something so unusual and very talented to pull it off perfectly. What's next?!

7. KuangEleven

KuangEleven Active Member

Feb 23, 2013
    Yep, perfectly.

8. baris

baris Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    A question about the ending:

At the end, there was a "love" button and a "close" button near Device 6 (and I think a third button that you couldn't press). I pressed the close button and got a screen explaining something like doubters are fine as long as they indulge Device 6, but it's not OK if they shut it down. Did anyone press the "love" button, what happens then?

9. TheEvilRobot

Apr 4, 2013

Awesome!

Looks like I will be getting the game :)

10. goferchan

goferchan New Member

Oct 19, 2013
    When I tried
    the other buttons, the screen shook and a gray-text message from Anna came up saying something like "No! Must resist!" -- unless there's some hidden way to do it, it seems like you're railroaded into shutting the power off in the end. I did hit "accept" after the proceeding message from HAT though and I'm not sure what (if anything) happens differently if you hit "deny".

11. goferchan

goferchan New Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Year Walk is still really, REALLY good -- you could probably argue that it has more puzzles/content than Device 6 (even though they're a little more obtuse -- every single puzzle in Device 6 is basically perfect, Year Walk had one or two where I felt like I was guessing blindly) but they're both unique experiences and I'd have a hard time picking one as a favorite overall.

12. goferchan

goferchan New Member

Oct 19, 2013
    I played it over the course of 3 or 4 sittings and enjoyed it a lot, that way. There are (spoiler'd in case you don't want to know how close you are to the end)
    five
    chapters worth of puzzles. If you have some self-restraint (and I don't blame you if you don't, the game is fantastic) then you could drop 30 minutes or so on each over the course of a few days and have a blast.

13. revolverblue85

revolverblue85 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Yeh really enjoying it so far.
    got past the tones puzzle and then got the crap scared out if me lol

14. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Q. Do the questions in-between Chapters affect gameplay in any way?
    Q. Are there right or wrong answers here which unlock specific events in the narrative?

Just finished Chapter 2.
    Impressions-
    - I'm not good at puzzle games per SE, so its already taken me over an hour to do the first two chapters.
    Assuming there's 6 chapters, that means ill probably spent 3.5 hours or so on this game.

- it is artistically refreshing, different, and very entertaining.

- I sort of feel like I'm required to like this title. It's from a dev I respect immensely, but honestly I'm not too enthralled in the gameplay or the story. I still feel the need to rate the game 5 stars here and the App Store to encourage the devs to make more awesome Art.

- I don't particularly find the puzzles that original, innovative, or entertaining...but the overal premise is incredible.

- like year walk, the experience is what I paid for, I suppose....and the experience is worth the price of admission.

- I don't mean that ^ to sound negative, its just my honest opinion. I'm blown away by the presentation, and I love the feeling the game (?) gives me, but the gameplay (?) isn't impressive and the puzzles seem to be more frustrating than anything. Still...as weird as this sounds...I'd rate the game a 9/10 from my short time with it...

- more than anything, I just think its one of those unique to iOS experiences that any self-respecting iGamer MUST experience.

15. KuangEleven

Feb 23, 2013
    Not as far as I can tell, on both counts. I can't say more than that because you have plenty to discover. I'd suggest playing through the whole thing and then seeing how you feel because it definitely isn't what it first seems.

16. xx99

xx99 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    IT Help Desk
    Michigan
    The puzzles in Device 6 are definitely more straightforward. Some of them will trip you up for a bit, but everything you need is right in front of you and once you figure it out, something clicks and the answer feels obvious. It strikes an interesting balance where solving the puzzles feels very satisfying but they actually aren't very difficult at all. The most time I spent on a single puzzle couldn't have been more than 10 minutes whereas Year Walk had me stumped for over 30 minutes a few times. Year Walk felt deeper overall, almost spiritual. Device 6's puzzles and plot, on the other hand, are simultaneously more logical and more complex.

17. xx99

xx99 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    IT Help Desk
    Michigan
    I've played through twice, using different personality answers between chapters and choosing a different option at an apparent fork near the end of the game. The content was completely identical each playthrough, which seems like a missed opportunity, though eliminating branching paths likely allowed the plot to be more cohesive.

18. KuangEleven

Feb 23, 2013
    It could be argued that the illusion of choice dressed up as concern and interest is a deliberate statement :)

19. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Current Metacritic Score - 93
    TA, please don't mess this one up.

20. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    I hit deny... Nothing specific to hitting that appeared to happen. I'm assuming the epilogue and shop sequences happened for you too afterwards?