Universal Device 6 - (by Simogo)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Oct 16, 2013.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Absolutely loving this, easy GotW for me, possibly for the month as well.

2. xx99

xx99 Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2013
    IT Help Desk
    Michigan
    As somebody who loved Year Walk, this is remarkable. I just finished Chapter 3 (100 points per chapter so far). I need to get to bed, but I'm having trouble putting it down.

The mystery and ambiguity are definitely part of the experience, like Year Walk. That said, the presentation is absolutely phenomenal... an incredible way to make readers feel like they are going on the same adventure as the protagonist. As the character moves around a corner, the text will also rotate. The interactive bits are fun, intriguing, and creepy. The puzzles definitely feel deeper and more complex than Year Walk's, but I haven't been stuck on one for more than five minutes yet.

Like Year Walk, you definitely have to be in the mood and headphones are practically a must (sound is literally a must, you cannot solve these puzzles without listening to the audio).

3. thinkdontpray

thinkdontpray Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    alright im at a loss here, trying to solve the first puzzle

i know what im suppose to be doing, adding up the three numbers which to my best guess are 2001 + 1946 + 56 = 4003. but thats not working for me. what am i missing here?

its driving me bonkers

4. revolverblue85

revolverblue85 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    2001 is correct and whatever channel the recorder is on is correct as well. Go back and look closely at the pictures with the words on them one of the pictures spells a number

If ya can't figure it out someone will tell you as I don't wanna give it to you. Time for bed

5. revolverblue85

Aug 10, 2012
    #45 revolverblue85, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
    Took a a break after chapter 1. Started chapter 2 and breezed through that fairly quickly. Started 3 but I've gotta 8 mile run in the am. Game of the month for me.

So I stayed up and I can not figure out
    the compass thing. Maybe I'm just tired, but I get the piglet only tells half the truth and the rest is behind the flower. I just don't get it. I'll dig more when I awake

Edit ok it's 12:40 but I'm keying it wrong. I've tried south and east flipping the device. Stuck.

6. antix

antix Member

Jan 18, 2013
    check out the statues with the mask on, that'll give you the hour (add tears together)

7. Andine

Andine New Member

Oct 17, 2013
    Help in chapter 3

Stuck on chapter 3 for waaaay to long, help pls!
    Can some1 tell me in what order and what directions i should press in the compass in chapter 3? I understand that its east and south, that it's 40 minutes and that's its the tears from the statues. I just cant get it to work in any order or if I turn the device.
    Am I missing some information about in wich way you insert the information into the compass?
    Help Plz =)

8. B3NDoX

B3NDoX Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    How long is this game?

9. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #49 Bool Zero, Oct 17, 2013
    Thanks! I appreciate your fresh perspective!

Thank you... That's what I needed to hear and exactly the position (coming from some one else who wasn't enamored with Year Walk) to push me to a buy! Buying now and I'll figure out where to get the space to install it afterward!

10. triggywiggy

triggywiggy Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Freelance writer, Student, Casually employed in re
    Perth, Western Australia
    Didn't see anything on Twitter about a new Simogo game. As a long time supporter of their games I will be checking this one out.

Keep the good work up guys (If you still use these forums) :)

11. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    I'll be surprised if people who really disliked Year Walk get much out of this - again, it's very, very stylish, very slick, the writing is technically very sound and the story's intriguing but it's overly enigmatic, and one puzzle per chapter? Even if they are fairly well done?

That said I'm also hopelessly stuck on chapter 3:
    I got "forty minutes" and east, then south like everyone else, but I didn't see anything telling me to count the statues' tears - I only saw "midnight", and that doesn't seem to have any relevance. I get flipping the device, but "east" and "south" mean nothing if there's no indication of where north is, and I'm not seeing one.
    So... slightly frustrating after the speed I blew through the first two chapters. Still liking it, though.

EDIT: Oh, also, you people do realise the intervals between chapters are jokes, right? :p I mean, come on,
    "How many hearts do you see in this optical illusion"? "For administrative purposes, please enter five hearts"?

12. Vendince

Vendince Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 17, 2013
    Question: Some of the posts here mentioned listening. Does that mean this game requires good hearing to play? If it does, I'm rather excluded. Would be a pity, since it'd be an instabuy otherwise.

13. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Sadly yes: some of the clues are only available via audio, and there are no subtitles. I find it surprising Simogo didn't try something with different-coloured text and so on - it's not like Beat Sneak Bandit, say, which would require a lot more work to even have a chance of being accessible to the deaf or hearing-impaired (and arguably even if it could be made to work BSB simply wouldn't be the same game).

(Note that I'm still stuck on Chapter 3 and am waiting for someone to post the solution, since I r dum, so maybe there's something later on where subtitles flat out wouldn't work? Not seeing any sign of that so far though.)

14. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    I was all ready to hit the "buy" button until I read the comment that audio clues are necessary to play this game, and that there are NO subtitles.

It is extremely disappointing to hear that a developer making a game that looks so awesome would ignore the needs of hearing impaired players.

15. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    #55 EightRooks, Oct 17, 2013
    I don't think it's a case of totally ignoring them; this is a game where the position of the text that appears on screen is fairly important to the overall experience. Still, it's strange they didn't try and implement a "hard of hearing mode" or something (there is no menu of any kind, FYI, whether options or anything else). You could surely have had it flash a virtual button prompt at the points where there's an audio sample with a clue playing, and put the subtitles up with contrasting coloured text for as long as the button's pressed? Again, maybe there's something past Chapter 3 where this wouldn't work, but so far I don't see it'd ruin the game or anything.

I don't believe every single game in existence should... I dunno, have a duty to be accessible to every person in the world no matter what their particular physical or mental impairment. Developers should certainly do more to be inclusive but I think in some cases there's only so far they can reasonably go. Like I said, Beat Sneak Bandit would barely be the same game if it was about feeling for pulses through the device, and this is strawmanning slightly but Papa Sangre would be pretty pointless as a text adventure, surely? At the same time, while the audio in Device 6 is clearly a key part of the mood Simogo are trying to create, so far I wouldn't say it's a vital element. So I'm curious why they didn't try to work around it.

16. revolverblue85

Aug 10, 2012
    Ok I need the answer to chapter 3 haha

17. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    I guess it's a question of how much effort is required to make the game more accessible to the hard of hearing vs what percentage of their customer base is afflicted. And of course, does this compromise the overall game design, reducing the impact significantly?

If they're a small development company then it's easy to understand why they'd have to make calls on stuff like this.

Can totally sympathise with players who are subsequently affected, though; it's unfortunate.

18. Vendince

Vendince Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 17, 2013
    I wouldn't expect a rhythm game to be accessible to me, that'd be silly.

This, however, is rather puzzling. Oh well, thanks for answering.

19. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    How long to play thru Device 6? I can probably clear 800MB, but can't have it used up indefinitely...

20. revolverblue85

Aug 10, 2012
    Hopefully someone will clue me in on chapter 3 by the time I get off work tonight.
    judging by the 8 tears and 40 minutes on the wall, I am too assume its 8:40. I still don't understand where the midnight comes into play. Also, I've turned my device every which way and I can not figure out how to key in the time