Developing separate apps for iPad / iPhone advice - HELP NEEDED

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by David_Don_13, Feb 23, 2015.

1. David_Don_13

David_Don_13 Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2015
    Software Engineer
    Ireland
    #1 David_Don_13, Feb 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Hi all,

I've spent the last 6 months working on an iOS game. Up until recently I've only being testing the game on an iphone (didn't have enough money for iPad...)
    I recently tested the game on an iPad for the first time and the aspect ratio has made the game unplayable. I foolishly didn't plan for the 4:3 ratio...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    if all you are going to do is make a second game for the second resolution you just need to throw in an if statement at the start.

I don't get why making 2 separate games makes it any easier and will dilute your download pool and thus your rankings.

3. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    +1 for this

Big learning curve making a game resolution independent but it is critical: especially if you ever want to branch out to android. Quick question: You say the 4:3 ratio is unplayable on iPad, what Phone are you using because iPhones have a few different resolutions now...

4. SaitoGames

SaitoGames Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Indie Game Developer
    Sydney
    It may not be preferable, but you may add black bars on top & bottom of 4:3 screen to make the actual render size to 16:9. This technique is called a letterbox.

5. justking14

justking14 Member

Sep 8, 2014
    I usually just set the size I want the screen to be in the view controller so that it'll pretty much be the same image on all devices. This may cause a bit of a stretched looked on iPads, but it seems that you designed this game with the iPhone in mind.