iPad Developers - Enough!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by majormauser, Nov 10, 2008.

1. majormauser

majormauser Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Developers if your making another Tower Defense or Sudoku port... just stop. Did you know we already have 15 versions of Sudoku and we are heading that Direction for Tower Defense Clones.

STOP THE TD AND SUDOKU PORTS :mad: Enough already

2. daniglue

daniglue Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Unfortunately sudoku games are much more than 15...

3. moopf

moopf Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    A problem that smaller developers have is that they may have been working on a TD game for a while, before TD games were available in such numbers for instance, and you can't expect them just to throw that work away. That's part of the problem of having so many indie developers writing stuff for the app store. It can't be helped really.

There's no excuse for another Sudoko being released, however :D

4. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    Yeah and how about putting a screenshot in for the one picture that shows up in the App Store? Showing a picture of your in game menu doesn't help anyone!

5. along123

along123 Well-Known Member

me no like sudoku ..me no understand and me no buy. He he. :D

6. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah exactly. I actually started working on a TD game close to one year ago, even before the official SDK was released. I spent several months on it part-time, but was not able to get the final push in to complete it for store launch. If I had gotten my act together, I could easily have had it ready for early July. In retrospect, not getting it out sooner was probably a big mistake since now we have a dozen TD style games out there.

Anyhow, I will probably revive it soon so yes, you'll probably see yet another one out there. Sorry! :)

7. What about Sudoku Tower Defense as an idea for a game? You go round entering the numbers onto the grid, and place towers around it to stop zombies from pinching the numbers! Then when you've completed the puzzle, the helicopter from the Chopper app comes along and decapitates the remaining zombies with its blades!

8. alza

alza Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Hahahaha awesome call

9. mavis

mavis Well-Known Member

What kills me is that despite having so many TD games to choose from, none are that great (IMO) ... Either the graphics suck, or there's no sound, or there's only one map, or there's no sandbox mode, etc. I've purchased three TD games so far, and I'm still waiting on one to be great.

10. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    #10 Mr. Charley, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
    I agree with you 100%
    I always take that as a sign that there's nothing really to the app other than the title screen. If the developer isn't proud enough to show you some of the game "footage" in the form of some pictures, there really isn't anything there. So, when I only see 1 screen, it's an automatic STAY AWAY warning....

Oh, and while we're on this topic, how about no more puzzle slide style picture games. There's already so many free versions, who needs another version?
    No more memory/simon-says games
    No more lighter/flashlight apps (who really uses their device as a lighter/flashlight?)

Edit:
    Oh, and let's not forget these apps also. We don't need anymore:
    Are you drunk/what's your alcohol level (frick, if you need one of these, just know you're an alcoholic and shouldn't be driving)
    Another coin-flipping app. Spare (no pun intended) yourself the $.99 and just keep a quarter in your pocket
    Background/Wallpaper
    Bobble-Heads
    Conversion Calculators

Thanks for getting me started! :)
    And thanks for letting me get that off my chest...phew, I feel better now

11. SwingOnThis

SwingOnThis Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2008
    See: Revolution, Punch Punch

12. Well I use the flashlight, but that's only because the lighter apps never work! I spent ages trying to light my flippin' candle with it last night!

13. Renare

Renare Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Tech Support
    Wilmore, KY
    Really? I had no problem lighting a fire with it last night... I need a new iPhone.. But it worked :)

14. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    In all honesty, thank you wastedyuthe and Renare for some sarcastic humour. I sure needed that after my rant....now I really feel better. Ok, I'm going to let it go now....
    *counts to 10*...

15. Haha! You know what you need don't you? We could do with an app where you can pick from various ambient noises to help relax you. I don't think there are enough of them :D

16. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Et tu, 'yuthe?...Troll syndrome is contagious. This is the pandemic they warned us about...

17. Haha! Now how did I know YOU was going to respond to that? :D

18. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I do believe you meant to say: "...YOU were going to respond to that?"...But I will let it go. Now, good day sir *fixes monocle*...I couldn't resist, i'm always looking for ways to apply my "Shakespearean" knowledge.

19. cyates

cyates New Member

Nov 10, 2008
    #19 cyates, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
    This is exactly why I just released a sudoku game on the app store over the weekend. I started it a couple months before the app store was released and before I knew there would be so many sudoku games.

I didn't work on it very much for quite a while after that thinking, what's the point? Recently I decided not to waste all the work, though, and added internet multiplayer support which hasn't been done on the iPhone. So at least that aspect is new and it's the only one like it.

Also, I did put the title screen as the first screenshot, only because as I uploaded the screenshots I thought it made sense to order them the same order you would progress through the game. So I put the screenshots in this order: title screen->intro->menu->options->game screen. Since you can only see one screenshot on the iphone I definitely should move the game screen to the front, I'm going to do that now.

Anyhow, my next game will be totally original, I promise! :)

20. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    Are you guys sick of TD games already?

There are about 4 in total now I think. Each of them are different in their own ways. Anyway I am doing one more, which will be really different. So I hope no one makes another thread about it. I did start months ago when no one had any out.