Dev Question: Apple Payment

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Kris Jones, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    Hello fellow devs,

I was curious on how long it takes Apple to pay you from the end of the month for your earnings? I don't want speculation, simply personal experiences. I have been reading plenty of stories of developers not being paid for months on end and often insufficient amounts.

2. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    They generally pay for a month by the end of the next month. Financial reports for May will probably show up mid to end of June, and payment will come shortly thereafter.

Everything varies, of course. March payments were a couple weeks late, but April was right on time again.

3. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    Thanks, Natalia.

I was going to ask if there was a difference if you sold only U.S., but I recall one of your apps being #1 in Italy.

I know it is best to be patient, but is there a way of expediting a payment?

4. nattylux

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Oh, and this really should fall into the "well, duh" category, but given what I've heard in some other forums:

Do NOT spend or in any way account for your App Store earnings until the money has hit your bank account. Financial reports are usually slightly less than the daily sales, and money does sometimes disappear into the black hole of international money transfers and you need to call multiple people all over the world to recover it.

Captain Obvious, signing off.

5. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    Thanks for the heads up. Brings up another question: Does Apple send a check or do a direct banking transfer?

6. nattylux

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    You're going to get a wire transfer. And probably a wire transfer fee charged by your bank for every incoming deposit.

Also, payments from the different regions come pretty close together. They usually all hit within a week.

And I've certainly never heard of a way of expediting payments. I very much doubt it can be done, given the other problems people deal with sometimes.

Have fun, Mr. Moneybags :)

7. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    Lol. You know, I thought that being in the Top 25 would make more sales, but they were very close to the amount of sales received prior to even being in the Top 100. Thanks anyways!

I am sure that Harbor Master will be epic!

8. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

I hope I am not hearing complaints about being in the top 25!!! You'll end up being the target of a public stoning! ;)

9. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    No no! Not at all. I just don't want to be perceived as the greedy exploiter of the AppStore!

I already had this sent to me from an important figure here at TA

: [​IMG]

Pretty much matches how my life is now. ;)

10. nattylux

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Haha - prior to being in the top 25, you were on your way to the top 25, since it's a multi-day average.

Yes - that is dangerous business around here :eek:

11. nattylux

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Ok, I have to say this. Are you Will Arnett's long lost twin brother?

[​IMG]

12. PixelthisMike

Hahahaha brilliant :D

13. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    Lol. Thanks. I take that as a compliment. ;)

14. nattylux

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    As you should ;)

15. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    If you're lucky, most payments will come 20-25 days after the end of the month. If you're unlucky, as a lot of people have been since January, a large number of non US payments will simply cease to show up for months at a time. Now, whether it all boils down to problems in communications with the banks, or Apple wanting to hold onto money longer for the interest, or more favorable currency conversions, nobody knows. In my case, I got bit by Chase taking over Wamu. Chase never bothered to tell anyone that our swift codes wouldn't work after December, which caused a lot of problems with GB and Europe payments. That's a pretty big deal for me, as 50% of my sales are outside the US. Just today, I got my first Europe payment since December, so hopefully the rest will follow soon.

Moral of the story: If this is your day job, save money for the months where you aren't selling a lot, as payments could be spotty. You can pretty much count on the US payment every month, though.

And don't forget to pay your quarterly estimated taxes. You just made a bunch of money, and state and federal are going to want to keep about 35% of it.

16. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    :eek: What if Keith sees this?! :)

P.S. Thanks for the support. Reading the article of your team in the Washington Post, I believe it was, inspired me to get into iPhone development.

17. PixelthisMike

Uh oh getting steamy! Maybe I should leave you two to it?

18. Kris Jones

Mar 21, 2009
    America
    They can take my taxes from now cold, dead hands!

Thanks for the information. My main concern was in regards to U.S. payments, as we over 80% in the U.S. and the finances are for business cash flow purposes as we expand and work on the updates to Sparta and complete our next 2 titles.

19. nattylux

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    No way, that is so cool! Now I'm all verklempt...

And anything related to Gob Bluth is a compliment. If anyone didn't get that reference, go watch Arrested Development. Thank me later.

20. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    My cold, dead hands just wrote two very large tax checks this evening. Hope they don't mind the tear stains on them. :rolleyes: