Universal Deus Ex: The Fall - (by SQUARE ENIX)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Danz060391, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Looking forward to hearing how it plays on a smaller screen (iPhone 5). If it doesn't feel cramped, I'll absolutely spring for this. Never played a deus ex game before, so I'm crossing my fingers.

2. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Michael Mccmann is a sci-fi soundtrack beast!! Stoked to have this bumping around my lobes again :)

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I just realized my download has been paused for 10 minutes. :/

4. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    So... What is the iaps anyone?

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Dudes. This is good. Just playing thru the first mission on my iPad 4...butter framerate, good controls with lots of options, amazing amount of depth, seemingly (not far into it) well done and decently voiced story. When my only complaint is the blob shadows vs dynamic ones, you know it's good.

Only way the game can screw this up is by having unforgivably obnoxious IAP. Here's hoping.

6. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Well they wrote it in the description that it would not work on the iPad 2, so it can't be a mistake...

7. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    This ^. Anyone on an iPhone 5 / iPod 5 please do give some impressions. I'd buy it right now, but if it's super cluttered on the small screen I'll probably just wait until the new iPad arrives.

8. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Hmmm. I'm really impressed with how well the mechanics translate - some fiddliness with the controls, and pinpoint aiming in a firefight is mostly right out, but movement and stealth work really well. Inventory screens are kinda cluttered, but usable. It also looks fairly good, at least on a technical level - lots of low-res textures and repeating details if you look closely but on a superficial level it's fairly atmospheric (the lighting, the colour palette, the art design and so on) and it runs pretty smoothly.

On the other hand, I just did the opening mission and oh dear oh dear the level design is mediocre and the writing and storytelling are goddamned laughable. It's still fun to play up to a point because the experience of controlling it is that good - sneaking around, targeting enemies, takedowns - and the production values are so far above most mobile games, but from the moment I heard that crack about "They hide in dark places... if we could only shine a light on them!" (paraphrased) I started getting a headache. Human Revolution didn't have the best script or anything, but it was streets ahead of this nonsense. The actors are plainly trying very hard, but... no.

Really hoping the level layout improves and opens up, and the mission design evolves beyond "Now you need to buy an EMP grenade from the invisible shopkeeper in your pocket. Even though there's an EMP grenade someone's left lying around not fifteen seconds further down the hall". Kudos to Squenix for what they've managed to get an iPod Touch 5G to push, and kudos for moving so many of the "proper" game's controls over to a touchscreen so well, but I really need more than that to start enjoying a game, thanks. :(

9. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    None yet. There is a menu option for More Content and Options for Restore Purchases & to confirm Purchases.

10. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    Yep. It's not working on an iPad2. A friend of mine just checked it. You cannot download it directly and you cannot install it through iTunes. Kind of p.o.ed right now.

11. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    On the iPad 2/iPad mini point, it is worth noting that the iPad 2 went through a chipset (and other minor things) upgrade when the iPad 3 came out.
    Its not a difference that is immediately noticeable on most things but it did lead to a big boost in battery performance and power consumption along with some minor, but important, difference in performance.
    The iPad mini is based off this second version of the iPad 2 despite the fact that both versions of the iPad 2 are grouped together software wise. As the iPad 2 original version was excluded, there's no real way for the software to distinguish the two versions.
    Essentially, the original iPad 2 and iPad mini are not exactly the same. Close but not quite.
    And this could be the reason behind this compatibility issue.

Its also worth noting that if it runs fine on iPad mini there is a chance, a chance not a definite, that a future update will receive full iPad 2 compatibility and it just needed that extra bit of optimisation. Now this I can't say or confirm but it would seem a logical step to take.

On the game itself, its simply awesome. A must buy for anybody. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.
    As Sizzla said, loads of depth. Controls are actually very easy to modify to your liking and I'm actually liking the tap mechanics mixed in with the stick. Dunno just feels right in some scenarios.
    Not far enough to give lots of details but have to say I'm very impressed with it. Easily one of the top games on iOS ever.
    We've been very fortunate lately. iOS has gotten very serious.

12. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe

Thanks, man for the explaination.

13. GaZ-OiD

GaZ-OiD Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    London, UK
    It beats me how anyone can play games like this on a small screen. That's good for puzzle games and the like but not in depth games like this plus no atmosphere playing on a small screen either imo

14. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Playing it on an iPad Mini. Frame rate is perfect. Not the best graphics in the world, but it's really good. And hey, it's Deus Ex on my iPad! :D

Played through the first mission. Tutorial takes a little while to finish, but it does get you going. Controls are awesome. You have different ways to move, shoot, and duck behind walls. I'm finding myself using the joystick to move, but without showing the actual joystick because it's smoother this way. To shoot, you have a shoot button on both the left and right side for you choose. And everything works fluidly.

It's still too early to give my impressions on this game, and it seems that this is a long game to finish. But first hands on the game, I'm very excited. There seems to be a real storyline behind this edition of Deus Ex, and the controls are excellent to interact with this story and enjoy it on my iPad. ;)

15. Fil2

Fil2 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2011
    I hope the devs are not starting to not support the iPad 2 and that Deus EX is an exception.
    Modern Combat 4 runs fine on the iPad 2 so future games that aren't as huge and impressive as it must run on the iPad 2.

16. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    I honestly don't know why people are complaining about 2 year old hardware not being able to run the latest game... 3 new models of iPad have been released since the iPad 2, it's unfortunate, but IMO it's better to provide a "Great" experience for some vs. an "Okay" experience for all.

17. twistedmind87

twistedmind87 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Downloading now - if users are having problems with jailbroken systems then PM me and I will let you know the .plst edit that needs to be done to make this work ;)

18. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #98 Rip73, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    It was an outright chip change.
    Version 1 of the iPad 2 has a 45nm a5 chip.
    Version 2 of the iPad 2 has a 32nm a5 chip.
    That oversimplifies it as the micorarchitecture are the same but you are talking a completely different size of chip and manufacturing process.
    iPad 2 version 1 and iPad mini are simply not the exact same device.

Here's a link that gives a pretty good idea of the differences.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5789/the-ipad-24-review-32nm-a5-tested/1

Note: the article is extensive and has links at the bottom of the page to the other pages in the overall review. It does give a very reasonable insight. It doesn't explain fully why some apps would work with the newer chip and not the older one but it could reasonably be assumed that power consumption is actually a factor along with the chips interaction with the different vendor screens.

Its not a simple case of Apple trying to rule out older devices. Its not really a tactic Apple would employ anyway. And I'm pretty sure any developer would want their game compatible with as many devices as possible. Apple may be very controlling of their ecosystem but there are limitations to what is acceptable to both parties.

19. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Modern Combat 4 actually runs like dog sh*t on iPad 2. Did a side by side comparison with iPhone 5 and iPad 2 on release, and the framerate was basically in the single digits on the iPad, atleast on the opening level.

20. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

Yeah, uhm, the iPhone 4S, iPod Touch 5 and iPad Mini are all using verry similar/the same hardware to/as the iPad 2.

So you're saying this should only support the iPad 3, 4 and iPhone 5?