iPhone Desktop Dungeons (by QCF Design)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 27, 2015.

1. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Visiting this board after my first session with game. Personally I found nothing wrong, was loving the game, and everyone here seems to be nitpicking.
    Yes this is a port of a PC game and you can tell that. Yes it's no doubt a better experience on PC. But we're using IPads, and the game seems good to me. More then good.
    I love getting to play these great games I'd otherwise miss. This game is looking to be an epic play for me, up there with the best of them quite possibly. Still need to see how long it keeps me hooked, but if your interested in a gripping, puzzley, dungeony crawling adventure, then don't miss out!

2. Aerion

Aerion Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Tested it for a few hours, this is maybe one of the best games I ever played on the iPad, it has a lot of content, but honestly, I would enjoy it more if it came more polished.

The graphics are blurry, icons too small, the text windows are plain ugly (though sometimes *really* funny!).

To keep things short, the UI lacks design and it looks s*** on my iPad Mini Retina 2, but the gameplay is great.

3. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    That's pretty unexceptable for a turn a turn-based game at this price point in my view. I think not too many people comment on issues like this because it's more of an invisible (but often crucial) problem. It's usually something that isn't noticed at first until a few hours in on your 8th run, and then boom, where did my game go after I switched back from another app? By that time the player has already probably gave it a recommendation on forums or rated it favourably.

Not a deal breaker for everyone, but definitely is for me. I like games that work around my life. I don't want to be held hostage for a 10-15 minute run. I want to be able to put it down and come back to it without fear of losing my current run.

4. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Well, if the app isn't kicked out of memory, you can.

5. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Loving this game and it plays fine on my ipad2.
    No real issues with graphics or menus etc
    Great versatility with characters and races.
    Well worth the money.

6. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I'm not nitpicking, I love it ;)

As for the graphics, I prefer the 2x option (the right-most one, I'm not sure if it's 2x or 1x, but it's the one to the right). There's no blurry efect in that option, but gfx are pixelated at their original resolution.

7. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    #107 kurtalb1, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Had the exact same thing happen to me with an Ipad4. Apparently, talking to the Banker and opening the book is the problem.

The graphics are very crisp and clear on my device and, overall, I am really loving the game despite the above bug. Hopefully it is resolved soon.

8. NickyNichols

NickyNichols Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    I'm having this same issue. iPad 2.

9. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The "choose preparation" thing happened to me too. I just started up a new save. I think the problem happened because I started up a challenge instead of a new mission. The tutorial is extremely scripted, and it doesn't like it if you go off the rails.

10. NickyNichols

NickyNichols Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Yeah I was poking around and discovered the challenge menu as the preparation tutorial was happening. I guess I gotta restart.

11. MrSpud

MrSpud Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2009
    Custom finishing carpenter
    Wasaga beach, Ontario, Canada
    Same here, and I also selected a challenge instead of a normal quest, now the game is broken.. It's good I'm not too far into it, hopefully not a sign of things to come, time to restart I guess.

12. dislekcia

dislekcia Member

May 3, 2011
    Game Designer
    South Africa
    Hi peeps, thanks for the kind words about Desktop Dungeons and even bigger thanks for reporting the things bothering you about it :)

We'll definitely be fixing the Codex bug and we'll see what we can do about the rotation issue. Resolution and blurriness is always going to be a factor when it comes to non-native graphics (for which I can only apologise, we didn't guess at the right sizes for iPad screens) the 1.5x and 2x buttons will be going away when we update... BUT you're able to change the filtering shader in the settings menu, try the three options and hopefully one of them will be better for you.

Thanks again, apologies for not getting involved here earlier - we've been showing DD at a games expo all day.

13. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Hi folks - very (VERY) long time lurker on TA but finally felt I had to write a response after reading the devs comments above. So hear goes....

Dear Dev,

First off, great game - can't fault the gameplay in anyway and the mix of roguelike and puzzling, along with the sense of progression and development of the game, is a beautiful and heady concoction.

However, I can't help but feel really disappointed and pi**ed off by your brief statement above - specifically the bit that basically says 'sorry about the poor resolution issues...but thanks for the money and now live with it!' bit.

Sorry, but I've just spent £8 on purchasing this with the (perhaps, misguided) understanding that this was a premium title for the iPad (ie designed to fully integrate with the platform hardware). Instead, we have a substandard port of a PC game that fails to display properly and you've basically told us you have no plans to rectify the issue! Hopefully you can understand my frustration and annoyance at this response - feels very much like you're telling us 'thanks for the money but that's all you're getting for it' - and that type of attitude seriously winds me up

I thought indie developers were meant to be more engaging with their audiences and show grater concern and pride over their creations?! Maybe I am being naive but your reposne has left me with a sour taste in my mouth. I'm happy to leave a balanced review on the App Store and I hope all of us that share this disappointment will vote accordingly - ie a fair rating based on the package as a whole and not just the hype and gameplay. It may be a somewhat 'flacid' attempt at persuading you to rectify the issue but considering I'm left with a slight sense of being ripped off, I appreciate this is the only way I can make my point. Shame - I had very much higher hopes for the game and for yourselves as devs. Maybe Sproggiwood would have been a better choice for now.

Thanks for listening.

14. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Maybe you misunderstood him, the blurriness is going be reduced as much as possible in an update, currently you can use the scaling option and 2x works well. Even beyond that you can try switching the filtering shader and find one that looks better to you.

15. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    If that is the case, then I apologise and I will reserve full judgement until after the update....

....however, that's not how I read their statement so I'm now a little confused.

Devs - could you please clarify your message above regarding the resolution issues. Will there be an update to rectify the problem so the graphics appear in a native resolution without the requirement to 'upscale'? In other words, am I winding myself up over nothing or can I continue to quietly rant and resent back in my corner?! Thanks.

16. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    There is a middle ground between what you're expecting and the current state of the app. I don't think we're going to get retina resolution assets because that would basically require redoing all the artwork. But the scaling is going to improve as they match it to the right resolution.

17. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    Looking forward to the update.

18. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    I had a weird dream where I was looking for the 2X option in the game. Haven't dreamt of a game since Threes. It's a great game but ya there's some room for improvement on the port. great to see the Dev say they're working on it.
    Personally I'd take any port over NO port, not that this is a bad one. Looking forward to playing this more

19. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #119 VirtualBoyFreak, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
    Hey Dislekcia, why remove the 2x button? Can't you put a "with/without shader" option, and then the 3 shading options in settings? I prefer the gfx I see with the 2x, in other words, without filters.

My main problem is things such as the "3" on the player gfx. With the filter on it's a disaster, it shows like an inverted "C", while without the shader it looks as it should: a "3". I'm sure this is because of the font used, but I'd rather see the text correctly than the gfx through a filter... EDIT: okay, with 1x and POINT filter it looks quite fine, but I still that you should leave the option of "with/without" filter, specially since it's already implemented.

20. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    I will wait for the update before buying.