iPhone Desktop Dungeons (by QCF Design)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 27, 2015.

1. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Maybe iPad and keyboard are upside down? :D Now seriously, I'd also like auto rotation... As for the mini fonts, what iOS are you using?

2. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    Yes, I was almost certain this was going to be the case. The art in the PC version was optimized to run in a window, the assets are quite small. Unless the team took the time and expense to redraw all the assets, they were going to have to use hardware scaling or increase the sizes in Photoshop. Either way, blurry art.

Otherwise, it's still the game I obsessed on last year.

3. dirtschmooz

dirtschmooz Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2015
    #83 dirtschmooz, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
    had quick blast. Visuals are not crisp enough and text looks bad. For a premium game this is not good enough. Gameplay is fun and well executed, but as others mention, it needs some ui tweaks. Sadly stuff like use T hotkey still show up, so not nearly enough done to hide its pc port heritage.

No idea what some of the full screen and gfx options do. any ideas?

Still good fun and that's all that matters

4. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I've had a blast the last 2h. Sure, gfx are not crisp enough, it still shows PC heritage, it doesn't autorotate, etc., but as you say, it's great fun and that's all that matters. It's truly amazing, and I'm really, really enjoying the game. Great discovery :)

5. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    How do I worship a god? The option seems greyed out...

Attached Files:

6. snarvid

snarvid Well-Known Member

May 20, 2013
    iPad air, 8.3.

Thats actually how I play it, screen down, keyboard floating in air. Not optimal.

7. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I've unlocked the blacksmith and cannot progress any further into the game. Asks me to select one prep per building and there is nothing to select. I can't choose a quest. Can't upgrade. Can't do anything at all at this point and looks like I need to restart my game from scratch. This is a HUGE disappointment.

iPad Mini Retina. 8.3

8. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    So from what I am reading this ain't worth the premium price?

9. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    So tell us what’s worth for premium price?
    Ilm not pouncing this up coz I don’t have an ipad

10. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    I think he was referring to the lack of polish which is also keeping me from pulling the trigger at this moment. I am still teetering between this and Sproggi. I like puzzles so I think this is the better choice, but I don't want to pay a premium price for a game that has a bunch of bugs.

11. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    Get both dude
    I got chaos ring 3, sproggiwood and drylands this week, maybe I’m an impulse buyer LOL

Want to buy this of the can make it work for iphone

Maybe it was too much work to build the game from the ground up for ios, I believe that the bugs will be ironed out on updates
    Right dev?

12. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    If this counts for anything the developer is super active on the Sproggi thread. It's pushing me to go in that direction. But I'll probably buy both of them eventually.

13. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Loving this so far.. Yeah the graphics are "fuzzy" and the orientation is stuck but the game is fantastic.. I haven't even played sproggiwood, always sometimes monsters, geometry wars & nubs adventure that much.. Focusing on this one solely.. It'd be nice if the dev was as active here as sproggiwoods developer but I'm sure he knows the issues facing the game.. It's been an awesome week

14. RandallPeek

RandallPeek Well-Known Member

May 21, 2014
    I don't see a reason this couldn't make the move to a universal app. If the dungeon was made zoomable with standard gestures, it would work in the smaller format. Leave most of the menu offscreen until needed then slide it in. Not ideal but definitely better than nothing.

15. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This is a less than stellar port of a game that thrives on its mechanics and charming humor rather than decidedly average visuals. If you can look past the issues you will find a deeply engaging puzzle/rogue-like here.

16. Oscar Streaker

Oscar Streaker Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Crashed talking to the Banker

Cleared out the Banker level, went to fight him, got the option to talk, it brought up a book with tabs on the right, clicked the 1st tab and crashed. Had to kill the app. Ipad air2

17. snarvid

snarvid Well-Known Member

May 20, 2013
    I also had this on air2. Was able to workaround by going back, clicking talk, and jumping down to the 2nd or 3rd from bottom (monster looking tab with lower number by it). Am not sure it's resolved the base issue, though, so I'm still a little leery of using the book.

18. Oscar Streaker

Oscar Streaker Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Hmm... I wasn't able to go back. The screen went dark tint and nothing on it responded to touch. Great game tho.

19. VirtualBoyFreak

Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    In the config menu, I clicked on the "x2" in the visuals and the graphics stopped being fuzzy. I think the dev used different filters to try and smooth out the image. x1 is a heavy filter, x1.5 is a less heavy filter, and x2 is without filter. Of course, without filter you see the true low resolution of the images, but at least number "3" on the player's character is a 3 and not an inverted C as I saw it before.

I think that the port itself is quite well done, but there could be things more polished. I'm not talking about making new hi-res assets, I talk about having the option menu not show PC-exclusive things such as "filter for full screen mode" (bilinear, etc.), the "HotKey X" messages that appear during in-game, or even the "exit" button which closes the app as if it was on a PC.

In any case, I haven't encountered gameplay bugs. I'm on an iPad3 with iOS 7.1.2.

20. dirtschmooz

dirtschmooz Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2015
    I get this game breaking bug when I open the book and it freezes the game. only option is a restart. iPad air 2. Shame as I want to read all the useful info contained in it. The game is addictive and engrossing. hopefully some fixes soon