iPhone Desktop Dungeons (by QCF Design)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 27, 2015.

1. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    16 hours and still not able to...

I have sent a twit to QCF earlier and I am told the situation has been escalated to Apple. We can only wait. Fingers crossed.

2. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    That's all I need to know. I understand the decision not to be able to reload and try again multiple times but if I can't put it down and come back to it later mid level then I unfortunately won't be buying it as much as I want to

3. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    This game looks epic, can't wait till its finally "available". I hope they worked it out so the UI will be good on touchscreens, that will will be make or break for this game methinks

4. dirtschmooz

dirtschmooz Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2015
    been available in UK and d/l no issues

5. @DE_Clements

@DE_Clements Active Member

Dec 7, 2013
    Finally! # . . .
    Was able to purchase and download in US.
    Best of luck fellow Dungeoneers.

6. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Why is this categoried as puzzle?

7. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    It is a puzzle in its essence. A very smart one at that, with a rogue skin.

8. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Sorry don't have an answer for you, but this is also a huge pet peeve of mine. If you look at my post history, it's pretty much all I rail on about.

Note to any devs that are in the process of putting together a turn-based, procedurally generated 2-d game:

Make sure it saves it's current state even if the app in no longer in memory

I think the reason devs overlook this basic necessity so often is because they are totally focused on staying in the game when testing, whereas in the real world, people switch between apps, get distracted, but the game down etc, and then lose all their progress.

Having said that, most of the quality roguelikes on iOS get this right, there's only a few exceptions.

9. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I'm pretty sure I'll get this the same, I know I'm just finding reasons to procrastinate on pushing the buy button :)

10. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    #70 klink, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
    I think FTL handled this nicely. You could stop the game whenever you want but you can't get an advantage for doing so.

11. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    OK, so it's me taking the bullet, right?

I'll wait until noon GMT, and if no updates by then I'll come here and update the thread myself. :)

12. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Yep you're spot on with that it did it perfectly

13. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Yeah, so...

No, it doesn't seem to save mid level. I tried killing the app, tried exciting through the menu, always with the same result.

Not a deal breaker, but certainly something I hope gets sorted out eventually.

Other nitpicking:
    - The screen resolution is not optimal. It seems to be 1.5x by default with filtering, which makes it somewhat lackluster. It works, but it isn't... Clean.
    - I kind of expected to be able to zoom in/out via pinch. Nope.
    - I expected the attack interaction, at least when there's only one option available, to be handled via taking the selected enemy again. It's either via a radial menu (not the quickest...) or by tapping a button on the side.
    - My eyes hurt when I see Arial font in the game, mixed with the game's default font. It's just a visual consistency thing - it's probably the same on the PC, haven't played that in 2 years... - but yeah.

Other than that, I would recommend the game. None of this should sufficiently deter you or diminish any enjoyment you might have with it!

Cheers.

14. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    My only complaint/bug is when I logged on to the online account or wrote the name of my city, the text that I wrote was VERY tiny, extremely tiny, on the spaces which got filled with the words. It's the only bug I've noticed of, but I haven't had the chance of playing much yet.

15. Pagan Fox

Pagan Fox Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Downloaded and tried the PC free version after someone suggested a few pages back.
    Great idea as it was only a 6mb DL and gives you an idea of the game mechanics.
    I Loved it and I'm now going to DL the iOS version.
    Happy days!

16. terrence92

terrence92 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Somebody who played this on the initial ipad mini? Want to have some impressions before I buy it

17. gabikun

gabikun Active Member

Jan 22, 2012
    It works fine on my 1st gen ipad mini. No crashes, performance is fine (no lags). It's a pity that Sproggiwood doesn't work as fine as this game on it.

18. guzzla

guzzla Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 12, 2015
    Can anyone with this and Sproggie post some thoughts on which one they are liking more and why?

19. terrence92

terrence92 Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Thanks kind sire :) downloading as I speak

20. snarvid

snarvid Well-Known Member

May 20, 2013
    Love this game.

However, I also have the tiny kingdom font bug. More annoyingly the app doesn't rotate with gyro to determine which side is up, with the result that the program and my Logitech keyboard folio disagree on which side of my IPad should be up.

Tldr: game is upside down.