iPhone Desktop Dungeons (by QCF Design)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 27, 2015.

1. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Speak of the devil!

2. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    This all reminds me of the day that Terraria and Junk Jack X both came out ....what a day that was..will this day rival it?

3. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    Me too. Universal app would've sold me, but I just don't game on my iPad. Really wanted it though.

4. hincy89

hincy89 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2011
    Would people recommend this or Sproggiwood?

I will eventually get both but which first, hmm hard decisions haha!

5. L0ck

L0ck Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Did I read that right? Cross-platform play? As in, the progress I've made on the pc version will cross over?

Sold.

6. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    That is correct

7. kopicha

kopicha Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2015
    IT
    Just out of curiosity.. I can understand some don't like to bring multiple device out. So playing on phone while on the move is easily understandable. But you said you just don't game on iPad. Like why? I mean if you are home given a choice between iPad and iPhone. Why not iPad over iPhone but the other way around? Like how can a smaller screen be more enjoyable over a bigger one especially for a game like this? :confused:

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Unless they've botched the port horribly, this is SOOO in your wheelhouse!

My only whine from the original was the Puzzle levels. They're great for presenting great challenges, but, unlike the rest of the game, are completely fixed deals with usually only 1 possible path, unlike the rest of the game's RANDOMIZED challenges where the player has so much more freedom to find their own path through. Since everything in the game is so interconnected, unless willing to skip big chunks of unlocked content, you can't really ignore them. :(

9. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
    They are in this port as well... thanks for the heads up i did look at them thought i wont do them.....

10. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    #30 orangecan, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
    Well I'd never heard of this until this week and I don't normally like roguelikes very much but I've just read a few reviews of the PC version and this sounds really really appealing.

But I just read an earlier comment abut 20 minute levels, I hope you can save mid level.......

11. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    In the devs web there's a free PC version which is old, but will show you how gameplay is. It's how I got hooked to it yesterday and why I'm waiting (im)patiently for it to launch :D

I'd also like to know about saving mid-game.

12. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Was watching some video on twitch of this and I had no idea what the guy was doing.. Best way to learn is being thrown into the fire I guess.. Excited for this to drop.. 11pm here in Florida can't come soon enough ##

13. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I just found a few posts saying that you can't save mid dungeon on the PC which if this carries over to the iOS version may be a no no for me particularly as the reviews say the puzzle elements lead to a lot of sitting/staring working out the best way to approach things meaning that it can take a lot longer than 20 mins (again according to people talking about the PC version)

14. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #34 VirtualBoyFreak, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
    Well, maybe the dev doesn't want to allow saving mid-game so that people can't cheat through the dungeon by reloading a savestate if they get killed. This could easily be avoided by just allowing a "resume game" from exactly where you just left it, but no reloading in case you die.

In my case, I'd like a mid-game saving feature, but it's not crucial if games are 20-30 minutes long.

EDIT (screen rotation topic): found this on the devs forum:

Just note » in next update, allow rotation (now it has fixed orientation, it should be able to rotate if you are holding device opposite side)

It seems it can only be oriented to one side... :-/

15. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    So I TOFTT and got it and installed on iPhone 6+ 8.1.2 using the ipa trick and JB. Here's the thing. It runs. But when I exit the game it crashes and then when I reload it gets stuck on loading.
    Dang nang it!!
    Anyone else try this and any success?

(This is similar to what was happening to me for crowntakers).

Attached Files:

16. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    You can do the next best thing to skipping which is, just follow some cheat sheets to blast your way through them. I believe the solutions are actually all on Desktop Dungeons' own Wiki.

17. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I think there is a lot more to this one than Sproggiwood, personally.

18. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    HK Store lists this but when I tried to buy, it says "Item not available"! Dang!

19. Icterus

Icterus Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Same for me in the german store :´(

Somebody got a solution or know what it means?

20. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    This kind of thing is happening with sproggiwood released same time also. So might ba an AppStore thing. Just give it a while.