Design a TD with Me!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jyaw3, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Alright so thanks for the feed back on the original ideas for genres, and then narrowing it down, and while it was close between a TD and a TBS. I've figured that a TD is probably "easier" to make for now.

So, first question that I never really got an answer to, is in terms of order, do people like to click the UI, then click a cell to build a tower? or click the cell then show a menu to build a tower from?

the first generally means a persistent UI that has tower types on screen, second means it's only visible if you touch a cell

Any other comments on other things would be fine too, but I'm just taking this one step at a time

2. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Just make sure when you submit it, it comes with an endless mode and a local leaderboard. And for your question, I prefer click and drag but that's just me. Got a theme for it yet?
    Path-based/open area maps would be cool too. :)

3. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I prefer the latter when it comes to TDs, but in all truth, both work well.

4. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Make it about hippies who need to keep their psychedelic van safe from bears.

5. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Haha, I was thinking roman battles would be cool and such. Waaaaay back in the day of swords and shields lol. Noone's tried it yet but it's just an idea

6. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    given those choices, i like the first option...click on a tower type, and then click on the terrain where i want to place...the tower isn't actually built until i lift my finger...this leaves me free to drag the tower to fine tune placement

...but we need a way to decide "oops, i didn't want that tower" and to not have it be built so we aren't forced to build a tower and can change our mind mid build

7. foppajoe

foppajoe Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2009
    tough competition................but you'll get a lot of good ideas here.

8. patoalvalc

patoalvalc Member

Jul 3, 2009
    I,ve played almost every td game on iPhone, things i like:
    Fieldrunners style character, or very well developed characters
    Destroyable scenario like The Creeps
    Fieldrunners free path style
    Upgrading weapons, as always.
    Special level weapons, like The Creeps

And from my part:
    Upgrading and customizing the base
    Weapon fusioning, to make better weapons from 2 different ones.
    Big bosses

And that`s all i can imagine atm lol

9. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Hehe, ya I'm well aware there's a lot of competition. I hope none of the current TD developers feel like I'm trying to show them up or anything :p

And so for the building controls, I figure, in toolbar,
    1. tap tower I want, tap place I want, [tap on place again to confirm OR tap on different cell will cancel]?

2. or tap on tower, tap place I want, [tap on place again to confirm OR tap and drag to new place OR tap on different cell will cancel]?

And yes after the "tap place I want" (love my english?) I'll show the range of the tower so the player can see how it'll be, and other things

10. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    #10 Devilishly Good, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
    lol, never thought flowcharting would be something i'd want to use...

I like #1, less steps, but I think to confirm building we could press on the tower icon:

-click on desired tower's icon
    -then click and press on map where you want to place tower (tower range is displayed)

then you have 2 choices:
    1. click on tower icon and tower is then built
    2. click anywhere else on map and tower is not built

11. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

I would buy that in a second!

12. songkranw

songkranw Well-Known Member

Don't forget the money interest feature

Trap also nice

And if you want something unique. How about a tower that can walk!

13. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    The theme, whatever it is, has to be a complete joke. Something that is as crazy as envirobear 2010. Maybe see animals are evolving and coming out of the water, and you need to keep adam and eve safe? whatever it is, it has to be INSANE with no serious theme.

14. Alichan76

Alichan76 Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    I agree with the above. The more stupid and envirobear like it is, with the most crass graphics and animation you can muster, the more popular it will be, I'm quite sure. I liked the hippie/ bear idea earlier.

15. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Okay thanks for the response, will go with the toolbar present first then build

Is there any UI features that people like/want? I know for sure, pause, play/fast forward, build while paused, grid display, anything else?

16. Jyaw3

Jyaw3 Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Programmer
    Ontario
    Well now that I'm onto UI stuff I've got a couple issues/questions. First off this is going to be a landscape view, and selectable towers to build will be "persistent" on screen for you to choose from, as seemed to be the mini consensus of what people wanted?

How do you think the layout should be? do you prefer your score/gold to be on the top or bottom?

What about the menu/toolbar - for like pause, play, grid, menu?

How much info do you like to see about the creeps of that level?

as well as what about tower info? do people care about a description of the tower? or just stats?

17. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    -i would put score, gold , current wave/total waves, and a pause/menu access button on the top of the screen where we're less likely to accidentally hit it, all FF button here as well to preven accidental hits
    -i'm pretty happy with a miniature pic of the next incoming creep...with game experience players will see the pic and know what to expect
    -if you simply press and hold a tower icon, it would be cool if a some helpful info would pop up, like tower name, tower type, what enemy types it's good against, ...and when you release the button, the pop up goes away

-if you click on an already built tower, i'd like sell and upgrade icons to appear on either side, have sell price shown and list current power/upgraded power stats and cost to upgrade...upgrade icon should be grayed out/non-clickable if we have insufficient funds

18. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    Woot!

Some kinda special power with time traveling... Kinda like prince of persia where you can stop it for a little to build or you can rewind if you mess it up. Also, make it an RPG kinda like defender chronicles, but with diff. weapons and classes. Or something like that... Maybe... Maybe... :p
    Good ideas so far though!