Deputy Dog Games is looking for new applicants!

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by hardcoregamer, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    you'll be wasting your money if you don't get a book on photoshop tools and techniques. That's all it's good for anyway, brushes, transparancies, layers, etc..

oh yeah another thing I just thought of, all iphone art needs to be 163dpi to perfectly display on the iphone screen, I'm not sure if you can save dpi info in mspaint.

2. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    im still a true, blue hardcore loving MSpaint pixelated guy, heres a sprite i did that was supposed to be Xeno but hardcoregamer, no offence but i dont know if i still want u to use it, its mine and i dont want it to be copyrighte by you guys with your game, especially after i quit, remember im sorry i quit and once again no offence

*WARNING* EXTREMELY sorry about the size, ive been having trouble with my programs and if a mod finds it necessary to delete it be my guest *WARNING*

p.s. its one of my first so pretty suckish :p
    [​IMG]

3. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    wow, you broke TA!!

Anyway, you have way too many varying pixel sizes there from small to extra huge. Also, with pixel designs, you need to pick a palette, usually from 4 - 16 colors and use that palette to build your dark/light/highlight areas. Alternatively, doodling the character in illustrator or some other drawing tool before pixeling it is a good planning step. Super whaleman here started off as a vector sketch:

[​IMG]

Using that as my model, I was able to make a pixel out of him:

[​IMG]

4. hardcoregamer

hardcoregamer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you don't wanna join dogmeat? I'm very impressed with both those drawings. :)

5. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    You don't have to keep apologizing for leaving us spidey, lol. It's cool.

6. spidey146

spidey146 Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    first of all, cooles thing EVAR!!! secondly dont worry, its still a work in progress, and i prefer 8-16 bitstuff, not like that second pic, a good example of gteat sprites (and hilarious comics) are:

bob and george
    http://www.bobandgeorge.com/

and a modest destiny (also an app on it)
    http://www.squidi.net/index.php

7. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #107 Flickitty, Nov 24, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
    Yep, palette is very important. I've gone full 8-bit (256 colors) with pixel art, but that pallette was shared across all game tiles and sprites. Most sprites/tiles contained 16 colors.

Dogmeats suggestion to use vector is important too. This allows you to get a basic shape (remember me talking about silhouettes a few pages back?) as well as move things around and switch colors easily.

If you aren't comfortable with vector, you could sketch it out on paper and scan it, or try to sketch it out on your computer.

Below is an example of how I follow through with my work. Everything is extremely loose, which is still retained in the final vector image. This is a level for Snails, which appeared on PocketPC in 2002 and went on to win numerous international awards for half a decade. Since the game was designed for PocketPC, which has richer color depth, the palette appears a bit strange on the PC.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    Are you sure that you don't wanna join either flickitty? I'm also impressed with your work.

9. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I really can't, sorry. I could provide tons of reasons but it basically comes down to one thing:

Nobody can afford me these days. Thats why I create my own games.

This doesn't mean I think I am the badass, it just means someone would have to pay me a truckload of money in order to take me away from what I enjoy doing. I don't enjoy doing other peoples projects, I enjoy my own projects.

10. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    I say the more the merrier. There's nothing wrong with me wanting everyone to join my team. Dogmeat and Flickitty are good and if I like their artwork and want them to join then so be it!

11. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    ha! funny thing is, that whaleman art is from 2003. You will eventually see the stuff I'm doing these days, when my apps/games are released.

I'm in the same boat as kitty. I'm currently managing an entire dev team and I really just have no time for any other projects at the moment. I hope to have a larger team in a year.

12. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    As do I. ;) lol

13. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Well sir, good luck to both of us then!

14. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    I'm pretty sure both of them (professional graphic designers) work only for pay.

15. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    Besides some that have left us or are still in negotiation, including myself, we have recruited 27 people. Who wants another rough screenshot?

16. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    CAN WE SEE SANTA? I like santa.

17. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    You're in luck. He's in.

Attached Files:

18. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    That's awesome! Who drew that? And are those swords he's holding?

19. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    He's holding his elf slashers. This game isn't being made entirely on Paint you know. A very impressive artist made this, but no names yet. I might even post a new level screen l8tr.

20. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    that'd be awesome