Deputy Dog Games is looking for new applicants!

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by hardcoregamer, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

Interesting thread, to say the least.

Not sure that advertising for someone to work for you, making money for you, and not paying them is really an exciting way to recruit people.

As for the way some have conducted themselves is humorous, and in a bad movie sort of way.

Good luck on the recruiting, from the way this thread reads, you may need it.

David

2. hardcoregamer

hardcoregamer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    Well as unappealing as drawing for fun sounds, I have 16 people on my staff, including myself. Also, two of those people can code and program games, so this thread has done some good. If you would like to help, even though I don't think you do, let me know.

3. Harpgliss

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

I am an artist but this is the kind of stuff I get paid for.

Just a fact of life, not really meant as a slam or ctriticism.

David

4. Harpgliss

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

Hardcoregamer, you have an interesting way to entice people to work for you.

I'm funny too.

David

5. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Best thread ever.

And you need to setup a development forum. That chatroom was pretty crap, it kept crashing on both of my computers (laptop and desktop).

Do that, work out a bit of a plan and I'll be happy to lend some help.

6. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    *smacks self in face* we have a social group with 1359 messages posted, duh! lol. I have order. Join the Xeno & Zero social group. It has the wrong name, but we just roll with it. We converse there, and the chatroom. The reason it kept crashing before is because the site just had a major overhaul wiht a new look and feel to it, and many other improvements. It was crahsing a lot and was very laggy then. Try tomorrow at 3 est when I'll be on. Thx TouchChatterbox and I look forward to working with you. Oh, and I know, THIS IS THE BEST THREAD EVER CREATED!!!!! ROFL!

7. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    We are three weeks into development. We have staff meetings every other day. If you're not online, you miss out but I try to give you a recap once you're on. I have a big board filled with ideas, plans, etc. I plan to use a part of the profits to make our future games better, such as buying Photoshop. Some of our staff have Photoshop, some use MS Paint, some do hand-drawn then upload, but everything is done in one or two styles, just with some minor adjustments. So far the game is going great, I'm even working on it right now! I've been working for the past 5 hours; I'm beat. You wouldn't need to work that hard unless you really wanted to, I'm just really excited about this. Well, back to work!

8. dhondon

dhondon Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Norway
    Photoshop is rather expensive. Do you expect to earn so much money on your first game? The appstore is no longer an goldmine (except for gameloft).

9. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Yeah I agree. Photoshop is expensive. How much do you expect to earn? You also have that $99 to cover.

10. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    I'm just hoping that Zombieville lovers will try out my game too. I'm getting that dev license for Christmas.

11. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    What kind of music does the game have? Is Foozelz making it? Sorry if you already said this, but will the weapons be realistic or christmas based like a candy-cane gun or something? Oh, and will there be other playable characters besides Santa?

If you're taking suggestions I think weapons besides guns, like grenades or something would make the game a lot more fun. Sorry if that's already in zombieville, I've never actually played it.

Edit: That's a lot of questions, lol. I understand if you're not willing to answer them.

12. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Even I don't use Photoshop, and I've been a professional Graphic Designer for 20+ years. I use an old version of Paint Shop Pro 6.0 (released in 2000 I think?).

13. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    It's all about skill. Practice is the best thing you can do to improve your art. I see people say "Oh, I just got photoshop" and they act like that makes them a professional artist. You should consider photoshop after you think you've used Paint to its fullest and you want more. Otherwise have fun with your money, you earned it.

14. dhondon

dhondon Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Norway
    I use Photoline (60 euros). Just incredible value for money. Can't think of any thing I miss from Photoshop. So yes, there's alot of great and cheep tools out there for freelancers any hobbyists.

15. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    photoshop IS expensive, but if you're doing purely pixel graphics mspaint can do everything photoshop can do.

16. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    This right here separates the men from the boys, IMO. Pixel graphics are an art form by themselves. Using MSPaint not only preserves the integrity of the artwork, but it also celebrates THE PROCESS. For a true (fine) artist, it isn't about the final outcome it is about the process.

If you don't believe this, then you are actually talking about Graphic Design (which is completely different). I actually do both Fine Art and Graphic Design, but I prefer the Fine Art side of things.

For anyone who is interested, here is my site with a diverse portfolio. I can't post everything I have ever done, nor would I want to. Unfortunately, my pixel art isn't posted there.

17. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Flic,

I checked out your site a few days ago :) I'm an abstract expressionist myself ( physical media ) but have been a pixel artist for the last 9 years. I recently got into vectors this year and am having a very easy time with them, but I'm starting to think it's due to all my pixel experience.

Also, when you work in a simple tool like MSPAINT for pixels, you are setting yourself up to do pure pixel work anywhere. Lots of people take the cheating way and use promotion or some other tool to convert vectors and whatnot to pixel looking images, but nothing compares to a true pixel artist.

Unfortunately it's a dying profession these days.

If anyone is interested in pixel communities check out

wayofthepixel
    pixeljoint

tell em dogmeat sent you :)

18. DGH94

DGH94 Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Next to the Maiden
    Thanks, dogmeat for those websites!
    Although I'm not the best, I do like pixel art, and am not TOO bad. :p
    Plus, two of my upcoming games are retroish, so I can use a little help with design. ;)

19. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    yeah if you want to work up your pixel skills, go make an account on wayofthepixel, get to know the people there, post your WIP's and ask for help.

My best advice if you go there is to accept all C&C. This is absolutely critical to being a good artist.

20. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    Well I myself an using MSPaint for all of my artwork, and so are many of my staff. A few use other programs such as Photoshop, so once the profits start coming in I'd like to use that program for a game.