Deputy Dog Games is looking for new applicants!

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by hardcoregamer, Nov 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    I definitely agree. Hardcoregamer, I just want to give you advice. You need to think in the direction of animation. When I was on the team I asked you about character design and individual assignments. When making a character I would make there arms and feet separate objects so that they can easily move back and forth or things like that. I think you should find someone that knows about that stuff. And you should use everybody's art if you have that many workers. Hiring people just for ideas is pointless. You're not doing very much, you can at least design the characters.

2. hardcoregamer

hardcoregamer Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    I'm not doing much???? You are obviously dazed. Me, will, and skipper are the only ones working, and I am working by butt off for this project, not that you would know at all, only being with us for a measly week.

3. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    So wait, you aren't the artist, you aren't the coder, so what are you doing?

Btw, I think you should just hire one or two artists, a coder and actually split the profits with them. You shouldn't keep everything. I agree with Yffum, I don't think you're doing much. :p

4. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    I am the dev and an artist, idk y none of you realize that, lol. I just want a few more, because a lot are lazy and don't contribute, but the more I have, I might just get a good one.

5. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Isn't the dev the one that codes it?

6. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    no, it doesn't have to be

7. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    He means he's going to be the one that pays the $99 to put it on the appstore (I think it's going to be his christmas present or something). hardcoregamer, what's your reply to the fact that making a bunch of people create art if only one is going to be used is a waste of everybody's time. It also makes having more than one artists unnecessary. You shouldn't just get a bunch of artists in hope that one of them will be good and then only use a couple. You should just look for the artists you actually want to use. You can do that buy not saying this is "just for fun". If you want a couple good artists instead of a ton of random ones to search through you should remake the thread so it's more professional and ask for well-trained artists and offer them a good percentage cut. I'm not saying you're not doing any work, I'm not saying your games suck, I'm trying to give you some advice so you can get what you want.

8. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    But this game IS just for fun, it won't look professional.

9. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    In the end, what I think everyone is trying to tell you is that you can have as many chefs as you want in the kitchen, but no matter what, you need the head chef to tell everyone what they're cooking today.

You must pick a director, have him/her create the art style for your game, and all the other artists emulate that style and are just producers.

10. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Yeah, that's a good idea. Get one person to show what the style should look like then the rest will try to do that. That way the art doesn't look completely random and you can still have a bunch of artists.

11. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    you guys don't know how to have fun do u? its all professionalism with u

12. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    erhm, "a bunch of producers" not artists. They're called producers when they're not directors.

13. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Okay, "have fun" and don't make a game. That's fine. Just don't expect any of your games to come out any time soon. Making a video game is never "all fun". I love drawing, but sometimes things can be annoyingly hard to create or tedious. You can't have fun the entire time if you really want the app created. But that's just my opinion. Go have fun and see if an app comes out of it.

14. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Quoted for truth. If you want to 'play' developer, then do that. If you want to BE a developer, then you need to get serious and you need to be professional.

At the age of 12, I had my own business going (finding 'lost' golf balls and reselling them). At the age of 13, I had a paper route so that I could buy my own computer (my family didn't have any money). By the age of 14, I had taught myself programming in BASIC and I was writing very simple games on the Apple IIe and Adam computer.

This was all around 1984. We didn't have the internet, and information was hard to come by.

I am not accepting any excuses that this project is all about 'fun'. I am not accepting the fact that you are 14 and have no skills yet. I suggest you get off your ass and DO something and stop wasting peoples time. There is no excuse for your attitude, nor your lack of respect.

Take peoples advice, or don't, but don't act like you know a goddam thing, because you don't. I don't know it all either, but then, I don't pretend either.

15. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

now that is deep man!

but i have to say i agree.
    at the moment, im not getting the sense that we're moving anywhere and i think if hardcoregamer gets the dev license, he will end up feeling like he wasted $99 as i don't think we will get an app anytime soon.

sorry for the harsh words hardcoregamer but im just saying my thoughts

16. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
    work harder and this will move quickly

17. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

who's the programmer?

18. hardcoregamer

Sep 20, 2009
    Making iPhone games
    touchArcade
  19. Yffum

Yffum Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Well that makes more sense, I misunderstood. I still think you should listen to our advice at being a little more professional. Your team seems to be doubting you. You can still have fun while acting professional.

20. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Can this thread be turned 'positive' please? Finger pointing and making excuses doesn't fix anything. Since hardcore is the CEO and OP of this thread, he needs to put a stop to it- telling others to stop doesn't cut it. Lead by example and STEER this thread in the direction you want it to go.

You can't even control a thread you created. Is there any hope for your project?

Start by posting your work, pictures, sketches, ideas. Be proud of what you and your team are doing, let your artists get some attention. Get some feedback- don't expect all criticism to be positive, negative criticism can be just as valuable.

If this is truly for fun, then show us how fun it is. Right now it looks miserable and hopeless. Be a leader. Sometimes that means swallowing your pride and shut shutting your mouth.