Depressing Story Time: Man Robs Bank for Jail Health Care

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Brazilian Rider, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Brazilian Rider

Brazilian Rider Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Did the title confuse you?

Apparently, a veteran in North Carolina was jobless and didn't have money to afford health care. So, he went to the bank with a note demanding $1, sat down, and waited for the police. All because he couldn't afford health care and needed the health care provided by the jail to get by.

The guy had never done anything wrong in his life, and the only reason he's there is because he can't afford the coverage he needs. Sucks, eh?

Linky.

2. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    Sucks and probably become a standard along with homeless people that do small time crimes for a short stay during winter season.

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Veterans make up 1 in 4 homeless people. Hmm.

4. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    Yeah, read this on the news :\, seems the government isn't taking much of a stride for health care.

5. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    When was the last time the government took a "stride"? (not asking you directly)

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I usually like to act all smug when it comes to health care, but this is genuinely sad.

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    My guess is he was probably that used to jail he couldn't function outside, but if it's true the sad part of the story is he will probably cost the taxpayer a lot more than the healthcare ever would.

I don''t really get the whole healthcare thing as I'm in the UK and I guess everyone gets it free here.

8. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Yeah, prison is a giant multibillion industry in the United States. The public perception is that if you're in prison, then you deserve it, not that you need some kind of social support or help. But there has to be a distinct racism at work when there's proportionately more black men in prison than white men.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/29/world/americas/29iht-29prison.10561202.html
    http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/08/saving-money-by-slashing-prison-spending/
    http://money.cnn.com/magazines/business2/business2_archive/2006/12/01/8394995/index.htm

9. Real Racing Fan

Real Racing Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I wish
    THE MATRIX
    It saddens to hear that men that are willing to die for their country end up like this, with barely any help from the US (apartment for limited time).

10. Real Racing Fan

Real Racing Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2009
    I wish
    THE MATRIX
    Totally true. My world grography teacher told me that his 15 year old son who is black, got in jail for a day, because he was carrying around a BB gun with a friend, while 3 white males stole alcohol from a liquor store (all underage) but got off with just a warning, just because their parents said that they normally don't do something like this and their grades are very good.

11. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    What a fantastic country we live in.

12. the_kernel

the_kernel Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Datacore netadmin
    An Island Somewhere
    Yeah uh guys....seriously...really.....

[​IMG]

13. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    i saw this yesterday it's very unfortunate but not surprising considering how america treats it's veterans.

14. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Why didn't he just become a messed up prostitute like everyone else

15. bngo16

bngo16 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Unbelievably sad story, especially since he's a veteran too.

Reminds me of a book I read, "Are prisons obsolete?" by Angela Davis. It's a good read about fixing the prison system and rehabilitating prisoners by teaching social responsibility in a social setting, rather than using confinement. It also goes into detail the role of racism when it comes to imprisonment.