DeNA potentially buying ngmoco for over $400,000,000?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Eli, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    No offense but Is Hodapp Ngmoco's pr person?

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Because I know how the iPhone business world works? What?

3. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Take the money. Run.

Yeah Hodapp, you totally work for Ngmoco. An article on Ngmoco :rolleyes: The Nerve!

4. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Seriously Hodapp, having an objective opinion on the matter must mean you're on their payroll. Can you make it anymore obvious?!

5. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    Yes, because PR persons openly discuss why the company they represent makes certain business decisions.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Exactly.

7. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #27 dyscode, Oct 8, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  8. PocketMonkey

PocketMonkey Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Why the Hodapp attack? Just because he was stating the reasoning behind this acquisition and how it makes sense?

Traditionally, the low-end of valuations for gaming companies is 5x invesment or revenues. With 40,000,000 in investments, the company is worth at least $200 Million.

Since actual earnings aren't public information, we can't determine the value of the company, but it should be assumed that DeNA has access to their financial records.

Some stable gaming companies get valued at 10x their investments (or revenues), which means that $40 mill for ngmoco investments could value the company at $400 million.

Here is an interesting article on ngmoco: http://www.businessinsider.com/digital-100#94-ngmoco-94

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Something to consider when figuring the earnings of ngmoco is that even though their games are rarely in the top grossing, they're almost always listed somewhere on the top free download listings. I couldn't even begin to accurately guess the number of daily active users they have, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if that number was in the millions with how long they've been around.

Even at the absolute lowest CPM's, millions of people viewing in-game ads on a daily basis adds up to a truckload of cash which obviously has no effect on your top grossing listing on the App Store. Indie developers who have gone freemium and shared numbers with me have blown me away by hinting at what they've made with Admob or iAds. As much as I hate to say it, it seems like if you want to make crazy cash on the App Store, freemium is the way to do it.

10. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
  11. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yep, it's official. This TechCrunch article is actually really interesting on the matter and brings up a few neat points: http://techcrunch.com/2010/10/12/done-deal-dena-to-announce-ngmoco-acquisition-very-soon/

1. ngmoco revenues are in the neighborhood of $30 million, a figure I don't think has ever been publicly quoted before.
    2. The acquisition was easy to swallow for DeNA because of the Yen trading at 15 year highs against the US Dollar.
    3. DeNA is big about cross-platform stuff... So while ngmoco originally started with intentions to be iPhone exclusive, something tells me that's going to change in a big way.

The $30m figure is the most surprising. I always assumed ngmoco was making money because everyone else doing freemium stuff is making fist fulls, but to be a two year old company with $40m in funding that likely would have been cashflow positive next year is pretty unbelievable.

12. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    So it was true after all huh. Wonder if I should Update the thread title to say " DeNA potentially buying ngmoco for over $400,000,000? UPDATE: Sh*t just Got Real !!" :eek: :D

13. Crashlander

Crashlander Member

That really is a lot of money. But they wouldn't buy if they didn't see growth there.

I wonder who will be next, and for how much?

14. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer