Universal DEMONS' SCORE - (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^ Yeah... The music they used pretty much just revolved around and complemented the "shooter" part of the game. Im enjoying it though, so no complaints from me.

2. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    I just randomly chose Sanuku's "Episode 7" and it appears you're in the same area as the first video. Is the entire game similar? :/

3. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    #43 kioshi, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
    OKAY - Now I'm bothered and found out why this is 'just' 6.99.

See this in the game's description?

'• Once you complete a stage in Story mode, you can purchase the powers of boss demons that you defeated.'

Well, you know the 'hot chick' costume in the App Store screenies and the trailer? You can use it after you beat the first boss (Sanuku's episode 2 video). Gives you more def and exp than the 'poor girl' costume you begin with, you get it for free after beating him.

BUT - I beat the second boss (Sanuku's episode 4 video, funky music, funny battle with fun dialogue too, this game has great production values) and it showed I could use another costume after beating him. When I tap 'sign pact' to use this new costume, it accesses the Store and asks if I want to buy the costume for 2.99.

There are 11 costumes - you get the first two ones (the starting one and the hot chick one from the screenshots) for free, and it seems the others are 2.99 a pop. Really sad. I wouldn't mind having the costumes for free even for purely cosmetic reasons.

EDIT: Screenshots (iPad 2):

This is the costume I got from beating the second boss:

[​IMG]

Now, if I tap 'Sign Pact':

[​IMG]

And as you can see, since I haven't beat the next boss, the fourth costume (you can see the dots below) is locked for me, so seems like you have to both beat the boss and PAY 2.99 to use the costume:

[​IMG]

4. Zeital

Zeital Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2011
    Omfg SE is going to make me poor >>

5. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Not me. That payment structure sucks big time - my first non-purchase of an SE IOSgame...

Jamie

6. BazookaTime

BazookaTime Well-Known Member

Like the gameplay and art, the voice acting and teddy bear, not so much.

7. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    #47 kioshi, Sep 19, 2012
    This is likely the most 'paidmium' game in iOS history if you want to get all the stuff (and besides the maximum difficulty, I bought the game thinking I was getting all that for 6.99, silly me).

Basic game: 6.99
    Max difficulty: 9.99
    11 costumes, 2 free, 9 purchasable (they look really good btw, unlocked 3 so far but haven't bought any): 2.99 x 9

Just 43.89 USD! :confused:

And there's more! If you want potions to help you restore hp during one stage, they're 0.99 each one or 3.99 for 5 stages (haven't looked the price for the 3 stages one), with no option at all to buy with some kind of ingame currency! I'm playing on Easy since you have to play through this to unlock normal so haven't needed potions (it's REALLY easy), but there should be a way to acquire them ingame.

Glu Games is starting to look like a very nice developer now.

8. johannaffendy

johannaffendy Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Malaysia
    Thanks for the info. I wonder why they have to take the IAP-heavy road. Hope it's not a catching trend among developers. I prefer paying one shot for my games.

Gonna skip this.

9. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    #49 kioshi, Sep 19, 2012
    I asked for a refund (said it keeps crashing on my ipad, and well it crashed 3 times during 2 hours of gameplay). Hope I can get it back. The costumes, besides being gorgeous, add some small gameplay differences but no way I'm spending 15 dollars at least (I know I'd like to buy five of them minimum since the three paid ones I unlocked look fantastic).

I was comfy with 9.99 for ultra hard mode because the game already has 3 difficulties and I'll probably wouldn't wanna play the 'Satan' diff anyway, but this costume thing is too much.

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Thanks for TOFTT kioshi. :/ I can safely say if it wasn't for you I would have spent the $6.99 on this before Street Fighter X Tekken was released and regretted it. Hope you get your refund. :(

11. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    #51 kioshi, Sep 19, 2012
    Glad I could help, man. Honestly I'm a Squeenix bish, I paid 20 bucks for TWEWY without thinking twice, I'll pay the full value for FF Dimensions if I manage to play it after the intro and like it, I bought Chaos Rings 2 for iPad even though I didn't like Omega (but enjoyed 2 so it's okay), but this is way too much. Despite the great cinematics, graphics and kinda entertaining story, I was even questioning if 6;99 was worth it when I was still thinking I was getting the costumes just because I beat the bosses (and yes the outfits do look awesome, not sure about retina ipad because I have the 2nd generation one).

And I'm not 'rich' to the point that a 20 buck game is nothing for me - there were various 0.99 and 1.99 games I waited for reviews and stuff like going free. I buy their games because they were always my fav developer/publisher. Gonna be more careful now, but I thought I just had to warn you guys.

12. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Yeah, I don't know as I would outright say do not buy this - it's amusingly daft, it works pretty well on an iTouch 4G and it looks as if you can still play without IAPs, unlike several Glu games! (Be serious, it's not even close to something like Blood and Glory.) But this is a pale shadow of what iNIS used to be, although I kind of figured they were dead ever since they went to make LIPS for Microsoft on the 360. Gitaroo Man or Ouendan it ain't. And while to be blunt the commenters on this forum like Gabrien drive me up the wall, I have to admit the way IAPs are implemented here is deeply dodgy - I do like how they don't actually say in the in-game message that signing a pact is a purchase. :rolleyes: I don't mind paying over the odds, but after the Chaos Rings games, the FF III port and Drakerider this is a step backwards again for Squenix.

13. Tropxe

Tropxe Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    England
    I have a feeling that this IAP-heavy sales model may be an anti-piracy measure. I admit that I have pirated iOS games in the past (and about 90% of the time have gone onto buy the game) and I was just considering doing so to check this game out, and then it hit me; even if I do that, I won't have any of the costumes, access to potions or the Satan difficulty (and presumably the "full story").

Not only does that mean that the vast majority of the gane's cost is outside of the initial purchase, it also means that you'll have to eventually have to buy a copy anyway since you won't have access to the IAPs with the pirated copy. The more content they lock away behind a paywall, the less you get when you pirate it. Though ironically this business model is definitely going to encourage piracy.

14. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    But if that's true it's doubly daft since unlike, say, Drakerider or FF Dimensions, you can pretty much play the whole game with the regular purchase. The costumes are still optional, as far as I can tell. They're a nasty kind of optional, true - they're waved in your face along with weasel words - but I don't actually see anything in that description that unequivocally states you have to beat the hardest difficulty to see the True Ending or whatever, and hell, you could play Blood and Glory without buying health potions, technically, it just wouldn't be much fun unless you really, really like grinding.

I've only done the first few songs on Easy, so perhaps it gets really prohibitively tough later on and you end up forced towards purchasing suits with better stats or more healing items? But it's not looking that way yet. I don't like the way they've implemented IAPs but it could be a lot worse and I don't see anyone missing out on critical things with the vanilla purchase.

15. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    That's because, despite being so obvious with their pricing practices, some people here still defend them :p. SE is loving the fact that no matter what they do, like every movement you have to pay a dollar, they'll still get business from some peeps :p.

Oooops, don't wanna turn this into another Square pricing debate. Mods, feel free to clean this up if you must.

Hmmm, maybe I'll remove that SE game in my Sig. :D

16. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    I was disappointed about the IAP when I came across it, but the game is soo freakin good. Regardless of what people say; this is legitamately Elite Beat Agents with a darker, mature tone and original music by all star composers that made music for games like Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts and Sakura Wars. At least your getting great quality for the money you pay.

17. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    #57 EightRooks, Sep 19, 2012
    1) Based on the levels I've played, ahahaha, no, it's really, really not. It's a predictable riff on the usual wacky Japanese character archetypes - ditzy heroine in skimpy outfits, wisecracking sidekick, spiny demons - with none of Ouendan's constant lunatic invention, wonderful art design or genuine emotion. It's okay, but there's a strong whiff of "embarassing dad" about it, as if iNIS have forgotten how to do crazy after doing a Singstar-style party game and are struggling to keep up.

2) Don't care. I play music games to hear memorable tunes, and there's nothing here so far to genuinely stick in my head - even dumb Jrock VGM like the Persona soundtracks still had earworm qualities that I'm simply not hearing here. I adore Sakura Taisen more than a grown man in his thirties should, but I'd still struggle to hum anything from the series in the shower, and I can think of two - count 'em - songs from all four main games I seriously enjoyed.

and 3) yeah, if you define this as "great quality", well. :p

Eh, says you. Chaos Rings II is one of my favourite games this year: paid full price and never once regretted it. Bought Final Fantasy Tactics at full price despite already having bought it twice on PSP and spent 120 hours beating it, and I still don't regret it. But this? £5 for the vanilla game I can stomach - I'm having some fun, after all - but no way are they getting any IAP out of me unless the quality picks up severely.

18. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

Well for what it's worth, i really like the humor and i've laugh quite a few times already. I can't bear the buisness model though but i'll play without buying anything else.

19. EightRooks

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    I don't want to - but I admit that fourth outfit does look really good. :( Second (free) one is dire, though, and third is dumb - that sort of thing was fine in Gitaroo Man (though Mojo King Bee was one of the weakest parts of the game), but the daft AWWW YEAH, BROTHA, FIRE UP THE SOUL TRAIN stuff feels silly to me in this context, even though iNIS are obviously still not taking things seriously.

20. pentarou

pentarou Active Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Bought this game expecting something like Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents. Nope, no such thing. Should've known better from the videos (which looked tacky).
    • The game finally picks up on Hard mode, I can't stand games that force you to play through an Easy mode replete with uninteresting cutscenes...
    • You can listen to some of the character music on the Square Enix Japan site, over on the character listing page.
    • Voices are terrible. I don't want to listen to a character that sounds like some reject from FF13. I also don't especially care to hear a growling male voice emanating from a female character; at least overlap the demon's voice with Serenity's or something...
    • I actually enjoyed the Hyadain and ZUNTATA stages, they were corny and ridiculous and somewhat amusing.
    • On that note, I thought I'd bite and actually buy the IAP songs/outfits from Hyadain and ZUNTATA but they're even more expensive ($4, $5) than the earlier characters!
    I suppose one could argue that you're paying $3-5 for a character model, a separate song, and new voice acting dialogue, but for ten characters this is quite expensive, and there's no way this game is worth anything close to $50 IMO.