Universal Demon's Rise (by Wave Light Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by WaveLightGames, Aug 20, 2015.

1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, I think it's something similar. The trouble is that I've run into so rarely that it's hard to pin point what's causing it. It might be that I just need to delay the appearance of the start battle button a bit more. I'll try hitting it as soon as it appears and see if that causes it. Will keep digging.

2. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Just a quick note that a lot of this has changed since this was written. Nullzone's and others' feedback has resulted in the game being a lot more challenging and some of these combos have been toned down. Of course, there are still some really crazy synergies and combos possible so post any you come up with. I'm often surprised at combinations / strategies that are absolutely brilliant but that I had never considered when building the game. :D

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #63 Nullzone, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    That's what automated tests are for ;) throw a few thousand cycles with slightly different parameters at the wall and see what sticks.
    I don't know what is available for free in that area (one we use at work has a 5 digit pricetag ... per year and seat) , and - even more important - integrates well with Unity.
    If you're interested, I'll dig around and see what I can find.

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Time for another quick preview of what I've been working on all day (apart from emailing every review site under the sun and begging for coverage):

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 3.47.30 PM by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

This is the mummy which will be a new undead enemy coming in the first content update. He's an interesting unit because he's slow and unarmoured but very hard to kill. Lots of hit points as you essentially have to tear him apart piece by piece to finally put him down. He also has a very long range (can attack 3 tiles out) as he lashes out with his bandages.

He'll also have some kind of undead insect type of magic ability or perhaps a curse of some kind. We're still debating a bit on which way to go there. The character model is cool though with some great animations and has glowing green eyes.

5. forchy1

forchy1 Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I'm very impressed with this game. No bulllllshit in app purchases, very fun. Worth buying. It doesn't have story mode but from what I read, indie Dev is planning one. Love huge roster. A Fantasy fantasy.

6. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Ability to rename characters please.

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Already there ... just select one of the characters from your team using the buttons at the bottom of the screen in the character select mode and a "Change Character Name" button appears. You can then type whatever you like.

8. Cronk

Cronk Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Bought and played some today. Really digging the depth here, and more importantly, the transparency in mechanics. I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that you could see the stats and abilities during character selection.

Suggestions on UI stuff:
    *the option to stop doing quest missions after completing one. I liked the "15-20min sessions" concept, but found myself stuck in a 4-5 game stretch before I was willing to test out if there was a penalty for fleeing. I shouldn't feel "stuck" playing a series of battles if I'm not actually forced to play them all at once.

*stats button during character selection wasn't obvious. Nor was looking at the abilities. I dunno the solution, but maybe an initial popup telling you they're there and offer more info if you want it?

*scrolls kinda suck. I've only had a few characters die but it's all been to scrolls. I've purposefully picked up 3-4 and accidentally picked up two, and all of them blew up in my face. Maybe bad RNG, but I shouldn't feel punished by loot.

Overall loving it tho! Great little game that just needs some tweaking to really propel it forward.

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #69 WaveLightGames, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    First off ... thanks for the feedback. Love hearing it and please keep it coming!

Yep .. the stats are there and you're right that the button isn't obvious. I think I'll put some code to make it move slightly or pulsate so it's more noticeable. Will do something like that in an update.

There's no penalty at all for fleeing a level. You don't have to play the quest levels without a break. The game autosave after each level completed so all you have to do is finish the level and your progress is saved. Quitting a level in the middle of a battle just discards anything done during that battle so you only get the XP and gold if you actually finish the level.

How would you recommend I make this more obvious? Perhaps replace the word "Flee Battle" in the pause menu to just "Quit to Menu" or "Return to Camp"?

Yeah, the scrolls dropped by the early characters are all trap / explosive scrolls if I recall. That's actually a bug, there are much better magic scrolls but I forgot to go back and put them on the earlier levels. I'll fix that in the next update.

Thanks .. please do keep the comments coming. I'll do everything I can to fix and improve things via updates.

10. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys, just checked the app store and it shows Demon's Rise in the top 3 featured paid rpg list! Right next to final fantasy 7. :)

11. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    #71 ScotDamn, Aug 21, 2015
    I want to love this game but the camera is really getting in the way. I love the classes, I love the descriptions, and the flexibility. Some really cool stuff for fantasy nerds like myself. But the camera is super sensitive and makes it a bit difficult the get a good angle which hurts the experience. Instead of easily being able to rotate the cam, it also will change the depth at the same time. The zoom in action camera definitely needs work too. I can tell a lot of love went into this, that is clear. So I trust the developer will continue to update things. I believe If the potential of this game was achieved, it would be one of the best in the genre hands down. Maybe I just need to spend more time with it.. Either way keep up the good work dev!

12. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I just encountered a strange bug. I was doing a random patrol quest and defeated all enemies, but the stage didn't "end".
    I suspect it was because I mind-controlled an enemy, so he was on my team. In the same turn I killed the only other enemy on the field, and ended the turn with no enemies on screen. At the start of the next turn, of course, the mind-controlled enemy returned to normal, but didn't attack me. I killed him, and that was that.
    I even skipped a bunch of turns to see if more enemies would spawn, but no. Nothing. :(

Oh, also - once you choose a team, are you stuck with that team or will there be opportunities to swap the core members for others? I've been selling weapons that my people can't equip, even really good ones.

13. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    @Wavelight...

Congratulations on finally releasing your game. I have followed the thread for some time and Im very happy to see your dream come to fruition. I also hope that this game is well reviewed (it should be), gets traction, and allows you the finances to pursue it full time, all the time and continue to expand your studio.

Unfortunately, I have a backlog of games and will not be able to play it, however, I insta-bought that sucker as soon as it was available and can't wait to sink my teeth in.

I look forward to your continued success... May you fare better than the NHL franchise of your home town :p

14. Cronk

Cronk Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2013
    Wavelight: on the quest progression going on and on...

Probably an option after looting & xp distribution to either go to the next battle or return to town, instead of just throwing you into the next one. You could just rename "flee" I guess but I kinda like the negative connotation of the phrase.

Maybe an option on the xp page?

15. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #75 stubbieoz, Aug 21, 2015
    Oh boy, how did I miss that, doh! A very welcome touch, thank you.
    After seeing that I also realised that I could select a character more than once. So I could have a whole forest of tree guys, hehe.
    Loving every minute of the game.

Oh and @ScotDamn. Did you put both camera sliders in the options to the lowest settings? I also had trouble with the camera until I did that.

16. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    after playing the first stage, i have some suggestions :
    1) camera - i also had trouble with super sensitive camera controls, but i will try the sliders. The zoom in action camera zooms in too much, and actually doesn't let you see the action scene (it zoomed in on my and my enemies legs for example)
    2) Miss animations. with all the wonderful animations, you should add some for when our team or the enemies miss their targets, like ducking, evading, something like that
    3) immersive sounds. Footsteps like someone mentioned, and a-la-xcom, character voices when they get selected, when they miss, or they kill and enemy - it helps you bond more with the characters :)
    4) some shadows would help also.

I am confident you will make this game into a masterpiece, and glad to finally be able to play it :)

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Three cheers! Very well deserved!

18. alchemia

alchemia New Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Yeah, I just wanted to say that the games don't really work on my iPad 3 but I wait with updating until they release the iPad Pro. I could play them on my iPhone, but unlike many here, I hate playing on a tiny phone screen, even if it's an iPhone 6.

19. Carabak

Carabak Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Have to agree with this -I had problems at first too, then adjusted sliders as per Wavelight suggestion which helped a bit. I must admit though after playing it a bit more, sorry but the camera really still needs work! It's spoiling the otherwise great graphics and gameplay. Swipe with two fingers in any direction seems to rotate the screen well, but pinch zoom doesn't work properly and often rotates the screen randomly whilst kind of zooming. Hope you can fix this Wavelight!

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #80 WaveLightGames, Aug 21, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback, ScotDamn. I'll adjust the camera sensitivity some more in the next update. I might even put a toggle in the options screen to disable zoom ... I wonder if that might be easier. As others have mentioned, there are sliders for sensitivity in options screen but I agree that even on the slowest setting, the zoom can be too quick. I'll work on it.

I suppose option could be to have a toggle that disables touch to zoom and instead adds a touch slider on the HUD to zoom in and out of the screen. Having a slider would allow you to zoom the screen at a fixed and steady speed and wouldn't get in the way of the two finger rotate action. I'll try a few things and see what works.