Universal Demon's Rise 2: Lords of Chaos (by Wave Light Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 10, 2016.

1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    It's okay ... stiff competition. I have a habit of releasing games on insanely busy weeks. I remember last time, I released Demon's Rise on the same day as Final Fantasy 7. This time it was the same day as Rome Total War and Steam Heist, which is another very good tactical rpg.

2. Gunther4C

Gunther4C Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Either way the topics been in the top 5 topics in threads because how active this thread is is, and also I've always seen it on at least the top 10 hottest games on touch arcade

3. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, believe me ... I'm not bothered at all. Deeply appreciative of Touch Arcade as they're really the only way I've gotten any visibility. They are incredibly passionate about games and this forum is amazing. It's waaaaaay harder to get talking to the other press / journalists.

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys, the first of the new characters is finished. Here is the Tenaclid Mind Mage ... a octopus man with pschic powers that focus on stunning and controlling individual enemies. Very good at neutralizing a single, powerful enemy but less effective against mass numbers. Very weak physically but strong range attacks and skills.

[​IMG]Tentaclid Mind Mage by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

Name can still be changed so if you don't like it, let me know. Working on the Feral Ogre next.

5. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Maybe I've been playing too much XCOM but how come ranged attack players can move away from attackers without a counter strike?

6. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    I like the name. I'm really into this game as well. Liking the corsair and orc chars a lot

7. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Love the look of him and the name !

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    There's a different penalty system for mages / archers in getting into combat. The morale system kicka in when you start the turn in melee and mages / archer have low courage and so easily panic. If they panic, they can't cast spells or perform skills and suffer a hit penalty. This makes it a bad idea for them to be in melee.

9. Gunther4C

Gunther4C Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Tenaclid mind made sounds good to me

10. amos38

amos38 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2013
    Nice, two more characters coming! I love big guys, so the feral ogre sounds fun too! Tentaclid is a great name. I can only think of "Squidmancer" which reminds me of "Squidward" from SpongeBob :p

I really love this game! I'm glad you have the passion and courage to create it.

11. VolkerE

VolkerE Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I have the same approach. I get in to work 1.5h earlier than necessary and code (without wife, kids, work to get in the way). I also find that the non-coding time each day my mind digests the various ideas I have so that when I am back in front of my laptop I know what I want to do. Creative design and coding work very differently, the former you cannot force, the latter you can (crunching).

12. JudasKain

JudasKain Active Member

Nov 11, 2015
    I'll add to what Gunther said and say:

TENACLID OVERMIND.

13. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I like it! We have a winner. Thanks for your suggestion. It has a more sinister feel, which is appropriate for the character class.

14. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    You're right. The break between coding and non-coding really helps me to figure out bugs or look at a potential problem from another angle. If I try to muscle my way through something like a bug fix, it rarely goes well and I just burn myself out.

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    I'm actually against Overmind:
    It does strongly imply the Tentaclid is the Hive Leader, Mind of the Swarm, whathaveyou.
    And he just does not look the part, instead resembles a standard warrior unit (or mage, but still just cannon-fodder).
    Compare images of the Zerg Overmind, Tyranid Hive Queen, Starship Troopers Bug Queen, RIFTS Xiticix Hive Queen, etc. to those of their cannon-fodder units. I leave it up to the interested reader to decide which one our Tentaclid here resembles more.

Of course, it reminds me a lot of AD&D's Illithids, which I happen to like a lot ;) with a nice amount of Lovecraftian horrors added for extra seasoning and flavor.

And before anyone says "hey, pretty clever disguise, no?":
    Doesn't fly with me. For the simple reason that I consider it *highly* unlikely that the Overmind would go out adventuring alone, i.e. without bringing an army - or at least a bunch of bodyguards - along for a picnic and garden games.

16. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    I get what you're saying, but he does control others minds to make them fight for him.

There's even a quick battle where he's already a guest character, but with few skills

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    While I agree that Overmind can imply that he is the ruler of a vast swarm of lesser bad guys, I think it can also represent the fact that this creature is able to dominate other minds and bind them to his will.

Yeah, the D&D Illithids are the obvious inspiration for these guys.

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Here's the Feral Ogre. He is basically finished. I'm just testing him from a balance perspective. He is big and slow and can absorb a lot of punishment. He isn't the quickest fighter though and lacks a counter attack to start. He has some cool abilities like the ability to pick up a rock to give himself a ranged attack for one turn, shout at his foes to disrupt their spell casting, send out a shockwave from smashing the ground, and so on. Definitely a front-line tank character with the most hit points in the entire roster (even more than the Werebear).

[​IMG]Feral Ogre by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

I'm going to release these 2 characters in the next update along with the bug fixes. I'll then work on the other 3 characters in the later updates. The extra characters will be FREE so no in-apps or anything.

19. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    While I appreciate this, just know that a full fledged game with addons as IAP is acceptable to a degree. We appreciate the hard work already involved with the game, and understand that continued development does take time and effort, so charging a fair price wouldn't be a bad thing either.

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    With the Tentaclid focusing on mind control, how about calling him Mindbender or Enslaver or something like that?

And too bad the Ogre is almost done. I wanted to suggest to dress him in furs, and not in something that makes him look like he just came home from a "dress up like from a bad cliche BDSM movie" halloween party :)