Universal Demon's Rise 2: Lords of Chaos (by Wave Light Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 10, 2016.

1. chronosz

chronosz Well-Known Member

May 24, 2016
    dev said he will add a speed option. cant wait!

2. skylined87

skylined87 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Never been able to get into turn based rpgs really, but I definitely want to support this dev. Bought and downloading, hopefully I can get into this one... #

3. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Nice surprise. I didn't have time to pay attention to the upcoming thread, so this dropped pretty much out of the blue for me. Buying today, guess I know what I'll be doing on the weekend ;)

4. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    I am really enjoying this game. I was a huge fan of the first installment of Demon's Rise. The side you play as in the sequel flips. You play as the "bad guys" this time around. Each character has unique mechanics and each battle has so much depth because of the large maps, terrain, and numerous enemies. If you've never played Demon's Rise, it's by far one of the best (if not the best) tactical/strategy rpg on the App Store. I recommend getting either of them. They are both fantastic! It's a steal at this price.

5. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Definitely will be in the first patch.

Can I get some feed back / poll on how to implement this?

Option 1: A permanent fast forward button on the top right of the screen. Players can click it to once, twice or 3 times to speed up the game 1.5x, 2.5x or 5x normal speed. This will replace the Fast Forward button that pops up during enemy turns.

Options 2: A speed option in the Options menu under Gameplay tab. This will apply all the time and the existing Fast Forward button will remain to speed up enemy turns even more. The Speed Option would also appear in the Pause Menu as a new slider so players can adjust during gameplay without having to go back to the Options menu.

Please let me know your thoughts. I am leaning towards Option 1 because it removes the Fast Forward button. However, open to suggestions. Please chime in.

6. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks! I love your username, by the way. Gave me a good laugh.

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah ... part of the charm for me though was because these are the "bad guys", I don't really have the same sorts of classes that you get in most RPG's. There's a different flavour and while there are mirrors (Huntress is the "archer", Demon Knight is the "Paladin", etc.), the traditional classes just wouldn't work as well.

It does make the game a little less accessible though and the "evil / self destructive" theme is definitely for more advanced users. Void Walkers miscasting, Demon Knights suffering divine judgement from their gods for failing are all advanced concepts that a new player might be confused by.

Just a random thought ... how about a hidden way to "unlock" some of the more popular character classes from Demon's Rise 1? Like a hidden button on the player select screen that sends you to a secret player select screen with a few of the iconic Demon's Rise 1 characters? It would be an easy thing to code and kind of fun. You don't see the hidden codes / secrets as much as you used to in the old days.

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah, this game has definitely left it's mark on my sanity. :)

Don't worry though, the next Demon's Rise is more wholesome and from a hero's perspective. The next game (Temple of Shadows) will feature a campaign with multiple decision points that have repercussions. I'm just trying to figure out how to combine that with the ability to replay earlier levels for fun / XP. Temple of Shadows will also feature some really cool character designs as it deals with an area of the Demon's Rise world that is kind of like a fantasy version of Viking / Saxon Europe. So definitely a different direction in visual theme too.

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks, it was great chatting with you yesterday on Carter's feed. I may do a similar Mobcrush at some point just to show the game action and get live questions / feedback. Would you guys be into that?

10. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I like option 1.

11. chronosz

chronosz Well-Known Member

May 24, 2016
    Yeah, I prefer option 1 as well

12. revolverblue85

revolverblue85 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    Phrase give feedback when you get a chance. I'm in the same boat. I have bought almost all the top turn based games and just can't finish them.

13. hedgey

hedgey Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2012
    I insta bought the 1st one. This was a game I waited by the minute to insta buy.
    In my opinion, the developer is one of the best around. Not only because the games are so great, but the developer is extremely active on these forums. They are not just active in discussions, but are always making the games better for their gamers.
    Congrats to developers. Wish more were like you.

14. Gunther4C

Gunther4C Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I can't believe your already talking about the next game lol

15. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    How about a unlocking characters thru some of the missions?

16. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Hey Dev, would you ever consider making an old school dungeon crawl, something similar to the wizardary series? I bet it would really rock if you did.

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    More than just talking about it ... done a fair bit of work already. Here's a screen shot:

[​IMG]DemonsRiseTempleOfShadows2 by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

I'm working at the moment on a dynamic weather system that will have some kind of in-game effects. So if it's raining, not only will there be lightening and rain particles, movement might be slower or attack range reduced or something. Once I get it working, I'll be porting it to Demon's Rise 2. Porting to Demon's Rise 1 probably wouldn't make sense since that game is set entirely indoors, where weather isn't an issue.

You can follow the development blog / thread here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=296314

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I'd love to but it probably wouldn't make sense for me given my limited resources. The thing is that it took me about 3 years to build the core engine of Demon's Rise. It took me 9 months to make Demon's Rise 2 (and add loads of enhancements for Demons Rise 1). Creating a new game based on the existing engine is way easier than creating a totally new type of game. Therefore, my goal is to create games built on the core Demon's Rise engine with lots of smaller changes for that particular genre. So that can be a lot of variety but it will mean turn-based, top down games.

I may make smaller games in other genres with different core game code sets but likely not a major RPG.

19. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    That's a great idea .... probably makes a lot more sense. I'll probably go that route.

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys ... just wanted to say thanks for the first day sales. Despite not being featured by Apple, they were pretty decent.

If you could please leave reviews that would be great. I've only got 4 reviews in total, which is really low. Many, many thanks. :)