Universal Demon's Rise 2: Lords of Chaos (by Wave Light Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 10, 2016.

1. onlyphantom

onlyphantom Member

Dec 18, 2017
    Rename characters please

Dear WaveLight if it’s not too much to ask for, would you please consider allowing player to rename a character we selected after the initial setup? Even switching a character for another - I realise the option to rename he character I pick is gone.

This may sounds like a lot to ask (I’m just one customer and you no doubt have plenty hehe) but it’s a pretty big deal to me if you do consider adding that feature in. It’s personal.

Thanks a lot! Also looking forward to DR3! Merry Christmas!

2. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi,

Actually you can rename an existing character in your team but it's kind of a trick. Let's say you have a Demon Knight that you want to rename, simply go to the switch team character option and select that demon knight as if you were switching him to a new class. Then in the new character select screen, select the same demon knight class as your replacement and then click on the icon in your selected character tray (at the bottom). This will bring up the name change button. You can then rename him and you will end up with a "new" character with your desired name but is actually identical to the previous character. When you select a new team member, all the previous stat bonuses and inventory carry over so you don't really lose anything by switching a team member for one of the exact same character class.

Overall, I realize that the changing a character name process isn't intuitive. I should probably just make a simple name change screen or something in the future.

3. Emmat

Emmat New Member

Jul 24, 2017
    If I only have time for either DR1 or DR2, which one should i get?

4. yew fai

yew fai Member

Nov 18, 2011
    bug on hit chance

hi, just bought demon's rise 1 & 2, as well as strike team hydra. started on demon's rise 1 & 2 recently when i encountered this bug.

essentially, any characters i place in character slots 3 to 6 (with the exception of the first 2 slots) would get their hit chances (whether melee or ranged) capped at 100%. meaning if i buy items that increase their hit chances beyond 100%, the display would only show 100%. not sure if this bug is cosmetic only (as in only affects display value) or something more serious.

if there are anyone playing this game at the moment, would appreciate it if you can verify this for me, thank you.

ps: as a result of this bug which affects demon's rise 1 & 2, i'm not resuming play until this bug can be fixed. i'm not sure if the similarly interfaced game of strike team hydra is similarly affected because i wouldn't want to test it and get let down again.

5. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #905 stubbieoz, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    I can verify that this is indeed happening. Good catch #

As a side thought though, wouldn't a 100% chance to hit be a maximum anyways? #

6. yew fai

yew fai Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #906 yew fai, Jan 27, 2018
    hi stubbieoz, thanks for your help in verifying. i've since dropped a note directly to wavelightgames informing them of this bug, and hopefully get a fix for this in the upcoming patch.

yes, i know what you mean about 100% should be a natural cap since it feels strange to say you can hit something with 200% chance :p

but if it is capped at 100%, then firstly, with most characters already having their to hit chances at 85% and above, there wouldn't be a mentality to grab the "best gear" in the dungeon crawl since you can easily find gears that will hit the cap easily and in no time.

secondly, with defences offered by opponents hiding behind full cover and other skills that bolster their dodge chance, 100% to hit will seem insufficient, and the battle will be dragged out because of more misses than hits.

anyway, i'm alright with the developers either capping it at 100% or not, so long as it is consistent. i'm surprised that no one has spotted it given that many have even completed the game. i just thought it would detract from the fun of slaying monsters just to find more powerful gear if your characters can't benefit from them too much.

7. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    It could be that many of the old Demons players have gone on to Strike Team and perhaps this bug was introduced by a recent patch??
    I have only managed to finish DR1 and I am half way through DR2. Strike Team is just waiting for me to finish DR2 before I can install it. (Wavelight games are big files!).

Your points are valid about 100% not always being a guaranteed hit, due to dodge values and cover defense. And obviously Wavelight does consider higher than 100% as a valid amount as the Succubus starts out with a melee hit of 105.
    If the dev has responded to you then it will definitely be sorted out. Wavelight is one of the better developers out there and always have responded to their players in the past. #

I would not have noticed that bug anyway. While I absolutely love stats in my games, these days I sometimes tend to skip over some as I get older. #

8. yew fai

yew fai Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #908 yew fai, Jan 27, 2018
    hi stubbieoz, i found the same bug in strike team hydra as well unfortunately, which i spent the last ten minutes testing and reporting to wavelightgames and the strike team hydra thread too. in addition, strike team hydra's attack skill shows a 25 point discrepancy in the bio stats compared to the equipment screen.

like yourself, i purchased all 3 games from wavelightgames because i am very interested in this turn based strategy genre and being an xcom fan as well, so the bugs came as a let down because all three games are affected at the moment and as such, i do not feel like investing more time on them before they are patched.

of course the game is more than getting nice loot and such, being a strategy game at that, but at its heart, getting good loot for your guys after big wins is what makes the game feel rewarding, and addictive. it's almost the guy's version of playing barbie doll because we can spice up our make believe characters with nice "accessories". breaking the stats is almost akin to the accessories not fitting onto the doll properly. it will detract from the overall satisfaction, at least from me :p

like you, i'm not a spring chicken any more. i agree i might be splitting fine hair here or what my wife would term as my ocd (obsessive-compulsive disorder). once i see things that are not meant to be there, it gets to me, haha.

edit: i do agree with you that despite the bugs, the developers did get back to me promptly and their games are well developed. i just hope this is just a glitch they overlooked and would not bring into dr-3 or strike team-2 because i'll still support them and of course, point out their bugs if i find any, lol :p

9. ammeter

ammeter New Member

Feb 5, 2018
    Expansion pack

Great game but it’s too short. Please consider adding more playable classes and especially more stories/side quest just like DR1. paid DLC would be awesome too :)

10. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks. I plan to add a new character in the next update. I don't think I'll add more levels but that may change depending on my workload.

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi,

I found the bug and it will be fixed in the next wave of updates. It's just a cosmetic bug as the label that displays the value to the user is capped from 0 to 100 for units 3 to 6 in the inventory stat screen.

12. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    #912 Verse, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Nevermind.

13. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Does anyone have a good team setup for a normal difficulty campaign? I chose 3 random melee, and 3 random ranged, but it doesn't quite have the oomph that my DR1 team had. There doesn't seem to be any pre-made teams this time that you can just go with in DR2, which is a bit of a shame.

I'm hoping someone here can lay down some knowledge as to what works well. I loved the archer and rifle/grenade gobling thing in in DR1, and I had some paladin who was quite good, along with 2 other melee, and 1 summoner. But I can't match those up to anything in DR2 in terms of skills.

14. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    3 days with no replies. I guess nobody is playing this game anymore..

Oh well, I started a party with the following classes: Werebear, Feral Ogre, Void Walker, Herarii Shamaness, Huntress, Demon Knight.

They're doing ok, though I got to mission 10 when I was like level 3-4 or so. That was a bad time.. I got absolutely slaughtered. I've grinded in various quick battles, and am now level 5-6, but after trying the level again, I once again got absolutely brutalized. My characters were 2-shotted, and there was zero hopes of making it past turn 5.

I'm not sure how I'm expected to deal with that level except spending even more hours upon hours grinding random quick battles for levels and to a lesser extent money.

What level are you supposed to be before taking it on? There's no indication of acceptable level ranges. It's so very vastly different from DR 1 where you could largely just play the storyline missions and maybe a patrol mission here and there to catch up on the slack around level 15 or so.

15. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    I noticed a bug that meant my defeat in a long battle. My Feral Ogre got "confusion" cast on it, and the turn after I had my shamaness cast "Mind Control" on it, as a way to counter the confusion, so that the former team mate wouldn't run amok on my party. The "Mind Control" was successfully cast, and I can see the Ogre having both effects active, but it did not revert to my control.

Another really annoying bug is that the targeting in this sequel is really troublesome. I find I have to preposition the camera constantly to be able to interact with a spot on the ground. If it's not trees that are in the way, it's ... seemingly nothing. It's very annoying during the course of a game.

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sorry for the lack of response. Been really busy with the steam launches for this game and mostly on the Touch Arcade discord server ... where you can message me directly.

There aren't any pre-made teams and the classes aren't really very similar. There's a lot of odd classes that don't really fit into a typical RPG archetype. It looks like you figured it out but if you want an area effect person like the gnome, I'd go with the Shamaness. She starts off a bit weak but her AOE damage abilities really ramp up as she progresses. The huntress is obviously a good mirror to the archer though probably not as good in dedicated shooting.

Vampire Knight is a good, all-round fighter with the ability to self heal. Succubus and Demon Knight are also good melee.

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for letting me know about the mind control. I remember someone mentioning that as well and I don't think I ever looked into it. I'll make a note now.

I've been working on several big updates for the steam version so once those updates are out, I'll be tuning back into the iOS version for updates. Working on some new characters as well.

I don't think I've run into the same thing with regards to targeting. I'm guessing it's something to do with the level. Do you find it happens more on the forest levels or the castle levels?

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Did you manage to make it through the level? When I played it, the objective is survival so what I did was leave Morkarn on one side of the battle to tie up one of the two forces. Then attack the other one. I think I started attacking the right side (opposite the side with the griffon). Then if you're able to hold your own, I tried to use the building as a way to stay out of line of sight of the other enemies. The objective is just surviving for 12 turns, I think so you really don't need to throw your guys into combat unnecessarily.

Also, if you have any divine favour accumulated, that's a good level to use it.

19. Verse

Verse Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    #919 Verse, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Mostly forest levels, but if there's something in the way, like a candle, or even seemingly nothing in castles, the problem persists. But definitely in the forests. It's quite bothersome.

I just tested it on level 25, and there are these huge statues of a demon/dragon head, and if I try to target anything behind them where they're clearly not physically taking a spot, I still cannot until I move the camera to an angle where the horns or head isn't blocking the square, even by a pixel. The same thing goes with that weird blue portal that sits in the middle of the 3 portals.

While I have your attention. There are a huge number of spelling and grammatical errors in the class story descriptions. You might want to look into that before a steam launch. I wish it was easier to take screenshots, and type out a lot on the ipad (don't have a physical keyboard for my 13" iPad Pro).

As for the team composition, I really found that it was a great help to get started with just picking something pre-made and fine tuning the team as you played on. It made it feel a lot more accessible.

I'm currently on level 25, so I've obviously figured things out by now, but it was rough. Really, really rough for a while there.

In regards to figuring it out, I wasn't able to move Morkarn at all. He was just on one knee in his spawn location for the duration of the fight, so it was very hard to defend him in such an open location. I eventually succumbed to turning the difficulty down to casual, and getting past the level, before turning it back up to normal. I don't like to resort to such measures, but it seemed very out of place to have a decent time of 9 levels, and then hit a wall, where a literal grind for hours on end did nothing to change the outcome on even normal difficulty. I feel as though that level is not very well balanced. The npc's that rush you are incredibly powerful, and even my melee team got cut down in seconds.

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks ... I suspect I know what's going on. I must have left some colliders on in some of the environment objects. I'll go through the levels and remove them.

Yeah, I know ... there are typos all over the place. It's just a hard thing to fix as I have to scrape the text out from various places, fix and proof read and then paste it back. I'll get there one day.

For that level, Morkarn is expendable and can't move. He's really just useful as a way of tieing up a chunk of the enemy as they slowly hack him to pieces. That being said, the last time I played it was a long time ago so it may be that the level has been tweaked to be more difficult than it should be. I'll play it myself with a fresh run and adjust as needed.