Universal Demon's Rise 2: Lords of Chaos (by Wave Light Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Nov 10, 2016.

1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    That's a tricky question because it depends when you played the first DR. If you want to compare this to DR when it launched, there's a massive difference. However, because I have actively back-ported all the new features I made for this game to Demon's Rise 1 as updates, the core of the two games now are similar. This is something I'll continue to do as I develop more Demon's Rise games ... so for example, the weather system that I'm working on now for Demon's Rise - Temple of Shadows will be back ported to earlier Demon's Rise games. It's something I like to do to separate myself from other games and keep all the games at a consistent level of quality.

Now in terms of new stuff for Demon's Rise 2:

- This game is more open with larger maps. It is less of a dungeon crawler and more of an open battle game at first. The campaign does eventually go back to confined dungeons in later levels.

- There are 130+ new enemies featuring some HUGE monsters that just don't exist in Demon's Rise 1. There are full sized dragons and Wyverns that make the biggest monsters in Demon's Rise look like puppies.

- There's a much more interesting campaign / story with this game, in my opinion. Players control the "bad guys" though that's kind of a grey term in the world of Demon's Rise. You have access to demonic powers and dark magic. The character classes are not typical at all ... so none of the usual Paladin / Dwarf / Elf Archer classes.

Lots of other stuff too. I personally have a lot more fun with Demon's Rise 2 because I love the atmosphere and the amount of bloodshed is just at another level. You will face seemingly overwhelming enemy forces in this game and yet somehow (if all goes well), one or two of your warriors will end the battle standing on a mountain of corpses. It's seriously a lot of fun. I playtested this game a lot more to try and get most levels at that right level of challenge / difficulty.

2. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    That sounds awesome!

3. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Thanks that does sound awesome

4. chronosz

chronosz Well-Known Member

May 24, 2016
    @ dev. I'm playing on an air 2 latest iOS 10.1.1. The walking animation is really slow for me as well as the attack animations. If you added a speed up option, it would be awesome!

5. N2L

N2L Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    I can vouch for the bolded part judging from my experience playing Demon's Rise 1.

The amount of enemies in the later stages will inevitably make you feel overwhelmed but as long as you plan your moves well and learn your characters' skills, they are more than able to cut through the numbers. Hence, the mountain of corpses.

I'm not sure about Demon's Rise 2 but in the first game, it is not always about you vs a single common enemy, as at times it will be a fight between multiple factions. The chaos of having multiple factions fighting against each other introduces interesting strategies such as waiting for them to thin their ranks from all the fighting, or just waltz in with your greatest Area of Effect spells and create the greatest bloodbath as you possibly can.

Ultra fun!

6. N2L

N2L Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    There is a speed up option on the bottom of the screen; it pops up during the enemy's turn.

7. N2L

N2L Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Will you be adding more characters later on?

I reckon that someone coming from DR1 would feel underwhelmed by the smaller roster including myself.

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yep ... I'm working on an update that adds 5 more characters:

- Vampire Knight
    - Chaos Ogre
    - Weresquid Sorceror
    - Blade Dancer (female barbarian / berserker)
    - Female Mongolian style raider (not decided on name yet)

Hopefully the update will drop before end of the month.

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Cool .. I'll add it. Right now, you can speed up the enemy turn with the Fast Forward button but not during your turn.

Would you prefer a speed option in the Options Menu and Pause Menu screen or would you like a button on the GUI that affects overall game speed?

10. chronosz

May 24, 2016
    @ n2l. I fast forward on the enemies turn, I'm talking about the players turn.

11. chronosz

May 24, 2016
    @ dev. Options menu that keeps that speed the whole time would be incredible. Thanks!

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks ... that made my day as it's really in line with my experiences and what I was aiming for in terms of gameplay. This game encourages you to be ruthless. Most battles will give you some allies (demons, beastmen, tribesman, etc.) that you can and SHOULD throw under the bus for your gain. Whether or not they survive is irrelevant. You should try tactics like taking your allies to tie up lots of the enemy into a thick battleline and then killing them all with a big area effect spell.

Also, the more kills you incur in a single turn .... the greater the odds of being rewarded with divine favour. This is critical. The gods do not care where the blood comes from, they just want their offering. So kill them all and keep your core team alive. The core war band are the ones that gain experience and if they die, they gain nothing for that battle.

13. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sounds great ... will do. I'll also add it to the Pause Menu screen so players can slow it back down if they want mid-game.

14. chronosz

May 24, 2016
    Sweet, thanks for your quick response and support!

15. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #35 WaveLightGames, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    One more thing I forgot to mention is that many of the levels in Demon's Rise 2 are objective based. So there will be levels where kills are irrelevant and you have to either survive X turns, meet some objective within X turns, kill a single enemy, protect a specific ally and so forth.

This really changes a lot of the strategy and works really nicely. I'm going to add this back into Demon's Rise 1 as well as but it will take time since I have to revisit each level and think what kind of objectives (if any) make sense.

16. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    So $10 in Australian store? ... I calculated 1.3x$7.99 (current price). Or more? Sometimes the price varies hugely from the US one and is higher than the converted rate.
    Should I play the first to make sense of the story? Or is this set at the same time?

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    No need to play the first. The two games are set in different areas of the same world at roughly the same time. However, there's no connection between the two in terms of plot.

18. blebhertz

blebhertz Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    INSTANT BUY!!! For those who don't know much about the first game. It is the one of the best SRPG game on App store. Please support the this dev. He is put sooo much love and effort into this game.

Congrats on you release

19. midgettosschamp

Jan 30, 2013
    Buying to support engaged dev that produced what seems to be a high quality product. I'm sure I'll get more than $5 of enjoyment from it. Great job WLG and please continue to stay engaged with us, it drives sales and enjoyment.

20. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #40 Misguided, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    No kidding, and though I haven't played the first, I want to give this a go simply because of the passion and dedication the developer obviously has for what they are doing.

Emboughtened!