Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys, glad you're liking the previews.

The game should work fine on a Galaxy S5. I'm currently testing it on a Note 3 and Galaxy S4 and it works great so the S5 should be able to run it fine.

I do plan to release on all major mobile platforms. Not sure of the order of release. Most likely, it'll hit all 3 platforms at the same time or at least within a few days of each other. I'm using Unity 3D Pro for the development so porting to different platforms is pretty easy. I've already ported it to iOS, Android and Windows Phone successfully in my dev testing so I don't anticipate any issues there.

I'm really looking forward to seeing customer feedback. My major concern at the moment is getting the game difficulty right. My first end-to-end play through of chapter 1 was laughably easy. I've made adjustments but won't know until I do another play through if it's too hard or too easy. There is also a difficulty option in the options screen but I haven't coded the logic for it yet because I don't really know whether the base game is too easy or too hard at the moment. That should be easy though ... I'll just pump up or reduce the statlines of the enemy based on the selected difficulty value.

The other issue is related to character balance. I'm sure I won't have a perfect balance between characters ... some will be stronger than others. But rather than delay release worrying about that sort of minutia, I'm going to just regularly tweak abilities and stat lines slightly post release based on player feedback.

2. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    looks great...hope this is not ipad only?

3. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    No ... it'll be for iphone as well. Should work fine on the larger screen iphone 6 but I think the inventory screen might be a bit hard to see on the iphone 4S. I'm going to do some testing on that device and will update the GUI to make it work on that screen before release.

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys ... there might not be much of an update today. I'm up to my neck in bug fixing as I found a show stopper bug. Need to spend time fixing it. :(

5. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Bug squashing is important! You can update tomorrow :) BTW, is there a thief/rogue/ninja type character? these are my usual favorites! I know there is a samurai in there, but what about a stealth or dual wielding class?

6. madreviewer

madreviewer Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2013
    When is it coming out

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Indeed ... there is both a thief / rogue and a ninja character. There is a Halfling Explorer. Well, in Halfling circles, they are referred to as "Explorers" or "Adventurers". Everyone else calls them thieving sons of mothers. :D

They Halfling has several thieving type skills and is primarily armed with a crossbow. He can search an area of the dungeon for hidden treasure (while his comrades do the fighting). He can also go into a stealth mode where he is hard to see / hit and receives bonus to his chance to inflict a critical hit. He's also good with gadgets / magical trinkets and can lay explosive traps and also deploy a ballista once per battle ... kind of like a deployable turret. Lastly, having a Halfling will give you a 10% discount on buying stuff at the vendor as he's a good negotiator (or he just steals stuff when the shop keep isn't looking).

For your ninja needs, there's the dark elf assassin. She's a female, stealth-focused melee fighter. She fights with twin daggers and can apply poison to them. She can also disappear in a puff of smoke and reappear somewhere nearby and has various nasty melee attack abilities. She's lightly armoured but has lots of attacks and has a high chance of inflicting critical hits. She can also jump up in the air and throw a whole bunch of daggers at her enemies.

The Assassin will definitely be ready for release. Not 100% sure about the Halfling ... he still needs some work but probably will make it.

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Chapter 1 should be submitted to the app store by mid December. Up to them on how long they take to review it. Usually takes a couple of weeks after that. Chapters 2 and 3 should be released in 1 month intervals after chapter 1.

9. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    :O female dark elf assassin! every time you post i get more anxious to try this!!!

10. rjm226

rjm226 Active Member

Dec 3, 2014
    This looks great. Reminds me of a turn based Diablo. Very excited to check it out.

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #111 WaveLightGames, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    Yep ... she's actually visible in the picture with the battle on the dwarf bridge that I posted earlier. From Right to left, there is the Illusionist (mage with purple energy coming from her staff), the Dark Elf Assassin, the High Elf Paladin and then the Dark Elf witch. In the far left, you can also see the human duelist covering the rear. Not sure where the 6th member of the party has gone ... the ghouls probably ate him already. Here's a larger image:

[​IMG]Gameplay4 by raj_dhillon, on Flickr

By the way, I've currently given the Dark Elf Assassin a pink complexion and the Dark Elf Witch a light blue skin tone. What colour do you prefer Dark Elves to be? Pinkish skin tone like in Warhammer or Blue like in Warcraft. I can go either direction. If you want close up pics, let me know and I'll post them.

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yep ... that's a pretty good analogy. Basically, imagine the dark fantasy setting of Diablo but with 6 characters rather than just 1 and turn based. Also, unlike most turn-based RPG's ... position and use of terrain actually matter a lot. It basically has a cover system and line of sight rules like XCOM.

13. Woodrith

Woodrith Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Hooaah
    Outerbounds
    Personally, anything that helps the characters stand out from the environment, so they don't blend in, making a pain to manage.

14. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    #114 ramzarules, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    ohh i see her now! But Woodrith is right -and not just for the dark elves. Give some coloring to the skin, or the armor and the weapons, so that the characters stand out more from the background!
    For example, in this picture the illusionists stands out nicely, and maybe the ghoul in the lower right. The rest -allies and enemies, if they are not selected, i had to squint to make them out-even on an image i downloaded and magnified.
    If not skin colors, make sure their armor and weapon colors makes it easy to tell them apart from the background!

Edit: some ideas, the paladin can have gold trimmed armor, the dark elves can wear dark leathers with bluish skins, the duellist can have red hair etc etc. You will make it a bit more colorful, but the characters will gain that much more personality! Let me know if you need more ideas, i'd be happy to help for this game as you know already :)

15. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I think the Dark Elves should be bluish. It's more common.

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. If the characters are too dark, I fan put a small point light on each one that would illuminate them subtly from the background. There is a slight performance hit with dynamic lights but I'll see what van be done. I can also make it an option in the options menu that people can enable or disable.

Blue skin for the dark elves ... thanks for helping me decide.

17. rjm226

rjm226 Active Member

Dec 3, 2014
    #117 rjm226, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    Lightening up the characters just so they don't blend in with the background makes sense, but I was attracted to the game because of the dark grungy feel that was present in diablo 2. When the new one came out they cartooned it up a bit with brighter colors, made it look more like WOW. If this is what you were intending I would stick with it.

18. IllogicalGames

IllogicalGames Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2014
    looks really great. i love the console quality graphics. looking forward for this release

19. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    #119 ramzarules, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
    But the first Diablos had clearly defined, strong black lines outlining the characters against the envoronment. Personally i prefer darkly colorful characters that stand out from each other and the environment, than black outlining and same character skin/clothes color. Plus, the first Diablos and Warhammer have different colors while maintaining a dark look, it doesn't mean you have to use the wow or diablo 3 color palette...A perfect example is again, Path of Exile, whose graphic style this game reminds me of:

20. ramzarules

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    [​IMG]

here, can you call this wow-cartoon-y-brightly colored? not in any sense, yet the characters and monsters stand out from each other and the background.

This is what i mean.