Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys ... new version was approved by Apple so test flight notifications will be sent out soon.

In my own testing, I did notice a situation where certain levels will never get the end game notification due to a null reference error. I believe I've fixed that on my current version so let me know if you run into it and on which level.

2. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Invites sent, Gents!

Please let me know your thoughts. Would appreciate a new run through with a fresh team. Please play lots of patrol levels and let me know how things go from a balance perspective.

Also, if someone could build a team with the Knight, Minotaur and Mage Hunter, that would be great. I haven't got much feedback on those guys so far and want to know how they stack up. The Minotaur's demonic possession penalty was toned down heavily.

3. lilgac

lilgac Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Thanks for the invite! but I realize I could not help test as testflight now needs ios8. I'm on ios7.
    Will wait for the released! All the best!

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Not a problem ... totally understandable.

Quick update, gents. I just completed the 39th patrol level. One more patrol level and I'll then be working on the tutorial and other bits of polish and adjustments for difficulty. Getting really close to a finished product. :)

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #1105 Nullzone, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Good news, almost there ;)

On the not so bright side, unfortunately I need to step back from the last round. Both work and family are pretty busy at the moment, and I don't have much time and energy left for playing games currently :(

For the kingdom name, going for something Saxon sounds good to me.
    East European can be interesting, too. See if you can find names of old kingdoms, duchies, etc. from that area.

6. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Not to worry .... your input has been invaluable thus far. I think you've given enough info to get me on the right track for difficulty. When you have time, please PM your name as I'd like to add you to the credits page as a play tester ... assuming you want that, of course.

Others that have provided input as well ... please do the same if you'd like to be in the game credits.

Here are a couple of shots of recently added patrol levels. I have just finished the last one ... 40 patrol levels! So the game will ship with 24 playable characters and 67 playable levels in total. It's funny but the game is basically shipping with the amount of content I was originally planning to have only when it received its final post-release update. :)

Here's a picture of a chaotic battle ... a 4-way battle between demons, undead, goblins, Ratmen and the player's team. I like how the demon portal came out int he background:

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2015-06-29 at 4.34.44 PM by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

Here's the final patrol level for the initial release. It is unique as it allows the player to control the new human faction. The player comes across an embattled force of the humans doing battle against demons and their allies and so get to control both their normal characters and the human forces.

[​IMG]Screen Shot 2015-06-30 at 10.47.41 AM by Rajpreet Dhillon, on Flickr

7. ComplaintDept

ComplaintDept Member

Jun 30, 2015
    Absolutely love the look of this game. I know i'm kind of late to this thread but if you need anymore play testers i am definitely on board.

8. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sure thing ... just send me a PM with your appled ID used for test flight.

9. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    #1109 Dunan, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    How does critical immunity work? I have 80% immunity with one of my characters and a troll with a 55% hit chance managed to crit me.

This leads me to believe the one following.
    1. The critical immunity isn't used despite being there as a stat which could be confirmed with a 100% critical immunity character.

2. It doesn't subtract from the hit chance but instead either divides the hit chance by 80% or just gives a straight 80% immunity and I got unlucky.

Is this the intended effect as far as calculations are factored?

I also was trying to use Spirit Wolf with my archer and it actually failed to cast. It shouldn't be able to fail since it's a one use spell. Spell was rendered inactive after it failed for the rest of the fight.

10. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Oh and I also tried one of patrol levels out. For the exp and rewards it gave it could have been potentially tough as I had 2 x 400 hp Trolls and 2 x 700 Cyclops plus too more trolls via reinforcements. If the AI had charged me I would have been dead since they nearly 1 shot one of my characters.

I almost felt cheap in that one with just using ranged attacks because I was too scared to go in with my melee characters for fear of instant death.

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    From what I recall, it should be subtracting from the attackers chance of a critical. However, you might be right in that there might be a bug in the code that is preventing it from kicking in. I'll take a look at it and see what's going on.

Thanks for noticing ... that spell shouldn't fail. I'll fix that.

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    The patrol levels are pretty random and not really tested yet. I haven't played most of them yet. The one where the Cyclops and trolls are attacking is one where I am expecting the hero to bunker down behind the defended positions. However, if the party members are high enough in level, they could certainly try and venture out. It may be way too tough a level ... each of the patrols will be adjusted up or down in difficulty as I play through them and get feedback.

Quick question for you, have you run into any situations where the "leave area" button never shows up and you are stuck in a level after killing everyone? I ran into it once and I think I fixed it but haven't gotten back to check it fully yet.

13. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    I thought I'd get more exp out of that one in particular but i think I only went up a couple of % for most of my characters but anyway.

I haven't noticed the leave button not working yet but i did run into a bug right after I finished a patrol mission where I couldn't select any characters in my next mission, I could end the turn but couldn't take control of my party at all. Had to close the app in the end.

14. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    What was your team composition? Were you using the pyromania or Tree Giant? I think this happens if you somehow press the start button before it loads all objects ... though this should have been fixed as the start button doesn't appear until everything is loaded. Please give me as many details as you can remember to help me fix it.

15. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Team composition was Knight, Archer, Storm Mage, Mage Hunter, Duelist and Elven Paladin. Just finished a patrol mission and wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary from memory. I just went to do another patrol mission and entered the mission as I normally do and then I encountered the bug.

From memory I didn't think I pressed anything in a hurry when it was loading up. Left the mission and entered another patrol mission and waited a good few seconds after the button appeared then I entered the bug still persisted then I killed the app after that.

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Do you remember which patrol level you entered initially when you ran into that bug?

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys,

Quick update ... I finally completed the tutorial. It went with an instruction manual approach that covers the main areas and explains the more technical rules. It'll be in the next update ... please let me know your thoughts when you see it.

Now, it's just testing and bug fixing until release. Hopefully that'll all be done by the middle of next week.

18. rittchard

rittchard Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Very glad to hear this. Very early impressions: I purposely came in "cold," so it ended up kind of a confusing experience for me. I really like the look and feel of the game, and I especially enjoyed being able to choose from such a diverse set of classes to form a party. While I felt like I might be missing some story/context, I also liked that I had the option to just jump into battle. This is exactly the kind of thing (creating custom parties) I typically like a lot. I suspect I made some poor choices in terms of class balance but I thought that would be good to test.

From there, though, things kind of went south. Without further direction, I chose a Patrol thinking that might be a simple way to see what the combat engine was like. Unfortunately it felt kind of overwhelming and confusing. There were too many characters to work with (and/or fight) and I wasn't really sure what I was doing with the interface. Sometimes I tried to zoom out and the whole camera angle kind of went berzerk leaving me with a really odd field of view.. It seemed like the main gist of the turn-based fighting was clear enough, but overall I felt like I had stepped deep into the middle of a game rather than the beginning of one. There were many additional characters to control in addition to my 6-man party, I wasn't sure if they were important to keep alive or just extra units.

I think pretty much everything I had issues with could be explained in a tutorial. The only reason I brought these topics up at all was that I think it can be helpful to a developer to see what direction a general player might take when there isn't specific direction.

19. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Only have a vague memory of it. Had skeletons, my party was on a landing and a bridge or tunnel extended up the middle. There was one skeleton warrior on my side of the landing, everything else was up the tunnel/bridge.

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    That's excellent feedback ... thank you so much. It never occurred to me that someone might play a patrol level assuming it would be the simpler way to learn the game. It's actually the opposite. Patrol levels are meant to be unusual / special scenarios designed to break the usual play style of controlling the same 6 heroes in the quest levels.

I think what I'll do is actually add a proper tutorial level where players fight against some test dummies and perhaps battle against some Ratmen prisoners or something and there are actual tool tips given by a trainer of some kind. Also, I think I'll disable the Patrol levels until the first quest is completed because it really would confuse people to jump into the patrols before they have a good grip of the rules. I think patrol levels will become "unlocked" once you defeat the first boss or something. I'll make the first quest levels a little easier to gradually ease players in as well.

Seriously this is great feedback. Please do let me know your thoughts on anything else in the game. :)