Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    That was the plan but I decided to add a lot more content in the initial release and spend a bit more time on polish. Hopefully all that should be done by end of June.

2. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I was able to reproduce the level 999 item bug. It is an issue with loading and saving the item in the trinket slot of the 3rd character. I moved a trinket onto my 3rd slot character and left the shop. Reentered the shop and the item was corrupted.

Should be able to track down the issue and fix. Thanks for your help, Nullzone!

3. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Found the item bug ... should be fixed now.

4. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Also .... going to push out a new playtest version today. Obviously Apple will take time to review it on their end.

Some minor fixes and 14 varied patrol levels.

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Always welcome! And really neat, that you found and fixed it so fast ;)

6. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I was finally able to reproduce this. You're completely right .. however, the reason I was confused was because I thought you meant the Red Demon on the church level. However, I think you mean the black demon with wings on the smaller level after that, right? The one with the various demonic hounds?

I'm going to check it out. Probably something with that particular character. Thanks for bringing this to light.

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Fixed the bug with the Demon Lord of Shadows not returning control to the player. One of his idle animations was missing.

8. kyoukusanagi

kyoukusanagi Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    I see, in that case i'd love for you to enable that "high poly" and "high texture" setting so us with later-latest generation devices can check it out for ya.

im not really sure how coding and testing works. but cant you put a TV out with your devices?

9. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Didn't have much time to play the last few days, only on Day 3 Stage 3 now.
    Even playing on Hard, the game already is too easy for me again.
    While the playstyle of the all-Mages is different to my earlier all-girls party, the results are the same.

Now that I have access to all high-end skills, I cleaned Day 3 Stage 1/2 on turn 1/2 respectively.
    I drop the Chronomancer's and Illusionist's Dodge/Crit Immune/Damage Immune -reducing skills on the largest groups of enemies. Then I let the Pyromancer fire away with his high-damage spells. If a larger group remains still standing and I can reach them, the others use their short-range AoE skills. After which it's just mopping up.

Sidenote: The 15% Skill failure chance is just a nuisance. I can dish out so much damage that it doesn't matter if e.g. the Summon Horror fails or not.
    Suggest to either remove that completely, or change it to (15 - hero level) %.

10. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    By the way, did any of you complete the game already?

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates. I'm travelling for work this week and so have been tied up during the days. I'm in the town of Schenectady, New York, if anyone is familiar with it.

I have made some progress but it's mostly boring stuff like adding sound effects to characters and such. I'm up to 15 bonus / patrol levels so will start the Undead patrol levels soon. Fixed some bugs but not much else to report.

@Nullzone: Great feedback regarding the mages. I'm going to up the difficulty a fair bit by creating higher level versions of the regular enemies and then continue to add abilities to various units. With the patrol levels, I'm really free to just crank up the difficulty on the main levels since players can always grind to up their XP. I think the version you have may have a bug which makes increases in level a little too frequent in later levels .... so hopefully the next version will fix that.

Going to continue adding sound effects to units and then will work on some more patrol levels.

12. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Update on difficulty:
    Killing that 700-800 HP Reaper on Day 3 Stage 3 or 4 took a lot longer with the Mages than it did with the killergirls.

Main reason is that the Mages are better at dealing AoE damage, but have no source of "insanely high single target damage in one round" , like the killergirls had with the pumped up Assassin (and Duelist, to a lesser degree).
    Where the girls could easily deal 500-1000 or more damage to a single target in one round, the Mages can *maybe* do 200, if the Illusionist (I think, need to verify) hits good with her "random 1-100 damage" spell.

All the lesser units surrounding the Reaper were dead on round 2, as usual; with one exception:
    On round 3, I had to mop up the 2 remaining summoners that decided to hide in the farthest corner of the stage. My Stonepriest and Pyromage ran up to them on round 2; but both missed with all their attacks, including spells.

Summary for that stage:
    The chaff could be harder to kill.
    The Reaper was pretty much okay, aside from not doing any significant damage to me. The debuffs really stack up, pretty much lowering him to 0% hit chance.

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Almost done with Day 4 now.
    Still not taking much damage. Most of the time the poor Stonepriest gets a few wacks over the head, because I tend to throw him into the middle of things.
    And a few times, my Chronomancer and Illusionist bought the farm at the start of a turn. Not sure why, but I guess I made them walk through flames or such by accident, resulting in taking damage at turn start.

Bought and found some very nice items, boosting my Mages to almost absurd levels of AP, AP Regen, Damage Reduction and Crit Immunity.
    With one of the Support skills (need to check which one), I get them all to 100% Crit Immune, which does an awesome job at avoiding damage.

Killing high-HP single monsters takes a bit longer than with the killergirls. But with 2 of the do "1-100" damage skills, and being able to cast them twice in a row, things look a lot better in that department, too.

Note on those skills:
    I find the 1-100 damage range way too random.
    Wonder if you could change that to "(hero level) - 100" . So a level 10 hero would do 10-100, making the lower end of the range a bit stronger against the later enemies with higher HP.

14. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Using the level to modify damage of abilities is an interesting idea. It might actually be a good idea to just increase min and max damage of all attacks (abilities and normal melee attacks) by the unit's level. That way, I wouldn't get the issue of character's normal melee attacks stuck doing 5 - 10 damage when enemies have 600+ hit points.

Off to Amsterdam now ... will respond properly once I land.

15. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Amsterdam? You're right around the corner then ;) Are you just passing through?

16. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    I'll be in Salzburgen, Germany, for the week. Landed in Amsterdam and drove for a couple hours. Got some good stuff done on the plane. Lots of sound effect code, couple of bug fixes and 2 bonus levels. :)

17. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Salzbergen, Germany? Or Salzburg, Austria? Don't mix the two countries up, the least you'll get is people poking some good-natured fun at you, if you do ;)

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Salzburgun in Germany for the week. Got a nice hotel room with wifi so should be able to work quite a lot on the game this week.

Some more updates, I added a high detail mode which allows for higher polygon models. This should allow for those with newer devices to get a better visual experience. I also reduced the compression on some of the characters so they look a lot better. The half giant, stone priest, Illusionist, Samurai and a few others look much better now. I think I really went too far with texture compression earlier. I forgot about how powerful some of the newer iPads are and how visible low quality textures are on larger iPad screens.

Otherwise, I added another bonus level. This is an assassination level where players must try and kill a Goblin Noble before lots of patrols arrive. The Goblin noble is a high level Goblin warrior with plate armour and a magical flaming sword. He'll have some abilities as well so will be even tougher.

19. kyoukusanagi

kyoukusanagi Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Perfect, i'll test it out when i get home :)

20. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sure but please understand that it won't be in your version until I upload a new version. I don't know when that will be ... most likely this week sometime.