Universal Demon Hunters - Upcoming Turn-based Dungeon Crawler from Wave Light Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by WaveLightGames, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Dwarf: The Shortening ;) (bonus points if you get the reference)

Ok, serious now:
    Demon's Call sounds best to me.
    The ones with the Dragon in the name feel like a bit of an odd mix, Demons and Dragons?

I tried to come up with a good name that reflects the story of the game, that you are venturing into the Halls and Caverns of a Dwarven Stronghold to reclaim them. But alas, nothing so far :(

Maybe "The Dwarf King's Call: Battle for <insert name of Stronghold here>"?

2. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    To be honest I've always believed that you should release it when it's to a certain quality and when you're happy to. Unless you have a reason to hold on to a deadline, maybe let it go for the moment till you've done everything you needed to.

3. Izrina

Izrina Member

Jun 2, 2015
    I like 'Demon's Rise: Lair of the Dragon' :)

4. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the suggestions, gents.

I'm liking Demon's Rise, myself.

One thing I'm realizing as I add the patrol levels ... the game is really about a subterranean war between dwarves and those races enslaved to Demons. So perhaps something war related would be good.

Something like:

- Demon's Rise: War for the Under Realm
    - Demon's Rise: Conquest of the Under Realm
    - Demon's Rise: Realm of Darkness
    - Demon's Rise: The Deep War
    - Demon's Rise: Conquest of the Deep

Any thoughts?

5. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Some more ideas:

Demon's Rise: Battle for the Lost Realm
    Demon's Rise: Battle of the Under Realm
    Demon's Rise: War of the Lost Kingdom

6. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #1006 Nullzone, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    Let's see...
    - Demon's Rise: Conquest of the Deep : invokes "XCOM Terror from the Deep" for me. Dwarves in submarines would be pretty cool, but we don't have those ;)
    - Under Realm gives me a D&D's Underdark (which is good, go team Drow!) and Undermountain vibe. Also, a quick google for "Under Realm" tells me that both AdventureQuestWorlds and - more important - Order&Chaos Online use that name for regions. While it sounds pretty good, I'd steer clear of it, just in case these two have a trigger-happy copyright lawyer lying around somewhere.

- Demon's Rise: War of the Lost Kingdom: I like that one best, only would change "of" to "for" . Plus, I only get a 13 year old Gamecube game back http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Kingdoms , so you should be safe from any overzealous lawyers.
    Also, shouldn't it be plural, making it Demons' Rise: War for the Lost Kingdom ?

On a sidenote, we passed the 1000 posts mark as well, cheers!

7. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Cool ... I do like "Demon's Rise: War for the Lost Kingdom".

It actually seems relevant to the story of the game because as you progress in the story, the Demon faction essentially awaken to the threat of the Dwarves and you see more and more of them. The Lost Kingdom part is relevant because you're constantly fighting in ruins that are dingy and dark now but were probably somewhere nice to live a long time ago. Also, the war aspect does highlight that this is as much a strategy game as it is an RPG.

Quick update ... finished another patrol level this morning. Up to 10 now and into the goblin patrol levels.

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    So the Dwarves are the bad guys? ;)
    That would be a pretty cool and nasty story twist, the Shorties essentially invading the lands of - so far pretty harmless - Ratkin, Goblins and Demons in what is essentially an attempt at genocide. Just so their King can claim that he rules the largest Dwarven kingdom in the world, "drove back" the threat of the Demons, and bolster his fading glory in his old age.

9. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yeah ... basically. I mean exactly who are the good guys and who are the bad guys is always based on your point of view. The dwarves are certainly the aggressors but they are trying to reclaim a city that was originally taken from them thousands of years ago by the demons. It has since become infested with goblins, ratmen and the undead while the demons have been hybernating a bit (basically sleeping off a big meal of thousands of dwarven and elven souls they devoured when they originally took over the place).

10. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I like:
    Demon's Rise: Conquest of the Deep

11. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Cool ... I kinda like the Conquest of the Deep too.

Just another update, as well as adding patrol levels, I'm also rejigging the code to allow for variety in sounds that are played when creatures attack, get hit, die, etc. Now that I'm play testing with audio, I'm finding it annoying to hear the exact same grunt noise again and again when hitting some of the larger creatures. Now, instead, each creature will have 3 or 4 sounds for getting hit and getting killed at least and possibly for when they attack as well.

12. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Yep ... you're right. Being an official member of the grammar police myself, I should have caught that.

13. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Not calling the grammar police on you ;)
    My thought was more along the lines of "I am pretty sure it's more than one Demon..."

14. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Got the code working for units to play a variety of sound effects when they attack, hit, die, etc.

Now of course, I have to actually assign varied audio clips for each of those events for all 60 or so units in the game. Fun times...

15. ArchAvianos

ArchAvianos Member

May 12, 2015
    I think either Demon's Rise: The Deep War or Demon's Rise: Conquest of the Deep set a good tone for going into battle to retake a Dwarven kingdom. This game looks and sounds amazing! Can I sign up for the testflight?

16. dudecoolguyman

dudecoolguyman Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Such wonderful news if I can join, yippee.

17. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    Sure, got your PM .. I'll add you to the playtest.

ArchAvianos: Of course ... just PM me your email ID and I'll add you.

18. WaveLightGames

Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #1018 WaveLightGames, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    Hey guys ... I think I'm going to go with Demons' Rise: Conquest of the Deep.

Thanks for your help on this!

19. kyoukusanagi

kyoukusanagi Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2010
    good name, cant wait to test it

20. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Short update on my Mage party:
    I am on Day 2, Stage 3 now, Hard difficulty.
    Things go a lot smoother now, with a few levels under my belt and sporting better equipment.
    The Pyromancer is my new murder machine, doesn't matter much that he isn't as insanely powered as the (old) Assassin.
    If I'd start over now, I'd even drop the Stonepriest and add another Pyro instead.
    The Stormseer starts to do pretty well too, now that she can cast 2 chain lightning (? second spell) in a row.
    The others are doing ok as well, but nothing special to write home about (yet).
    Spells are still my main damage source, with normal attacks being almost unimportant compared to my first playthrough with the girls.